Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects here we go, another chopped 54 chevy thread!!!

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by JohnnyP., Oct 19, 2011.

1. englands54

englands54

Johnny, Dig the chop and stoked for you to get the house with the garage.. Dig the fleetline body mods you did for Wayne..

2. JohnnyP.

JohnnyP.

Thanks man! I was stoked to see that his car made it to the gnrs. I've only seen pics of it since I did the work.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3. hellerlj

hellerlj
    from Minnesota

I really like how you saved the back window, which I can tell wasn't easy.
    I was looking at this one, on Craigslist in Minneapolis....they could have
    taken a "Window" lesson from you

Attached Files:

4. hudson hot rod

hudson hot rod

Glad your back on the four door! Been waiting for ever to see some progress, killer project! keep going!!!

5. Very well done. I was curious and nervous looking at the first cuts but it all came together perfect.. Glad to see a better way to chop these to retain the back window.
    Great metal work bub,
    steve

6. FabricateThis

FabricateThis

Looking at your work is why i dont want to post anything, that is some flawless work. Great job

7. JohnnyP.

JohnnyP.

Thanks guys!! We are all at different skill levels. I'm no where near as good as a lot of people on here, but I do do this for a living. It just takes time and patience. No big metal pieces had to be fabricated, just cut and weld. You just really need to take your time welding things up.

8. 911 steve

911 steve
    from nebraska

9. 911 steve

911 steve
    from nebraska

my 54 sedan delivery, I didnt do the work but it was chopped 6", 59 Plymouth taillights, Buick Grand Nat'l turbo V6 drivetrain. caught fire & got totaled in 2008

10. fortynut

fortynut

Going through your build, I feel like I know you; and that you’re my kind of person. You obviously earned your skills the hard way, and use them the right way to make something as perfect as you can, and never waver from that spark of an idea that you had when you started. That’s why it was sad when you reached the point, as many of us have, where the choice to sell an unfinished project to take care of family became necessary. Fortunately, better angels prevailed. Your perspective and fearless attitude, tackling something different, such as a four-door, is not unlike that of the Old School Dudes who built the very cars that define the very concept of Custom --- sculpting a dream out of metal. You have that gift, which is not only to see ‘what can be’ but also the chops to make it happen; and brother, that separates the doers from the talkers. My big regret is that I don’t live down the street, and have deep pockets, so I could get you to ‘chop one for me’. By the way, when I saw the picture of the ’51 Buick quarter mocked up, and thought back to your statement about thinking of it as a fastback, it made we want to see how this things looks when it’s all of one piece. Keep at it! We need builders like you to inspire us to get off our duffs and do our own stuff.

11. dlandberg

dlandberg
    from Sweden

Cool car, great chop best of luck!

12. Fender1325

Fender1325

To the OP: what tool did you use to cut the sheet metal - like the various squares for patches. They look so clean, the lines are straight and the corners are sharp. Much better than I could do with my 4.5" angle grinder it seems.

13. JohnnyP.

JohnnyP.

I use a 5" grinder, small die grinder with a cut off wheel on it, a hack saw or this cool air sander that I can run 5" cut off wheels on. That one is by far my most used tool.

14. Damn, I missed all the action.
    You make it look easy. Well done job, very smooth and well proportioned.
    Keep us posted.
    Regards.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2015
  15. Fender1325

Fender1325

Cool thanks. Id love to see them if you have time sometime. I have a metabo 4.5/5 electric grinder that I like, but no pneumatic stuff yet.

16. JohnnyP.

JohnnyP.

These are the 3 I use the the most. Cut offs on all and then sometimes a hacksaw blade, or even a dremel in those tight corners.

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1425097164.339112.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1425097177.542119.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1425097188.568131.jpg

17. layedout49

layedout49

I used the 3" . 2" rolocs , same as you're using . One thing I do use also is the blue point mini 2" hard stone grinder and metal files for hard to get areas

18. Fender1325

Fender1325

Great, thanks. I have got to get an air setup

19. Rynos63

Rynos63

Chop looks killer

20. JohnnyP.

JohnnyP.

So I took a little hiatus from this car, but didn't get out of building customs. Over the past 2 years I have had 2 cars that were finished that were done by me at previous employers. I am now at a buddies shop in Santa Margarita ca , straight arrow customs, who specializes in high dollar quality finishes and I'm here to add my metal working abilities and custom touches. Here's what I've done over the past few years. Hope you guys enjoy:)

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

21. hudson hot rod

hudson hot rod

Hey Johnny, I have a 50 2 door shoebox sitting here waiting for a chop and was wondering if you might be able to post up a few pics of how you cut around the back window and the roof to make such a beautiful profile like on the orange box you chopped? I know this is an older thread but just ran across it again....

22. JohnnyP.

JohnnyP.

Here is the thread I got my inspiration on. Follow his work and you will get similar results. I loved the profile of this shoebox and that's why I copied his chop. Search "my first custom- shoebox project" by the-rodster it has a great build thread.