Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Need some LARS advice!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by poboyross, May 25, 2017.

1. poboyross

poboyross
    from West TN

So I ended up selling both of my hot rods to help out someone, and I'm sniffing around with the bit I've been able to sock away from side jobs, selling stuff, etc to find a new family friendly ride. It's been several years since I've been to LARS, and I'm wondering how realistic and plentiful reasonably priced cars have been in the car corral as of late? I've been jonesing for something like a 64 Polara 4 door, and while they aren't easy to find, I've found a couple in the 5k range or so. I was thinking I might have better luck (selection/condition/price) at LARS this year, and considered trying to build my funds for the next month instead of possibly jumping the gun and doing it now. Any thoughts/feedback on personal experiences at LARS the past few shows?

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. Dave Rondou

Dave Rondou

You may find something at the LARS car corral as they get a pretty good selection. but kind of pricey. I would check the Pomona Swap Meet on the 4th for that Polara.

3. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

Hard to tell what shows up at the LARS and at what price. You are searching for a car that is not on most rodder's hot list so you many find one that is priced right. Most old Fords and Chevrolets are priced at what the market will bring. I would wait another month and see what you find.

4. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

as with any purchase/sale just have to be in the right place at the right time. easy - Ha! take cash, go Friday - Sunday. go to open house gatherings at different shops. be sure to check out parking lots for cars for sale too. while in Pomona check out local craigslist ads, etc.

5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I couldn't say it any bette than Jalopy Joker did. . Worse case you had a good weekend at LARS . Best case you found what you were hunting for or got a good lead on one. I know the feeling of the "gotta have a car" fever but waiting until that exact one comes along is worth it.

6. poboyross

poboyross
    from West TN

Man...TELL ME ABOUT IT. The car fever is approaching the surface temperature of the sun. I'm so used to having something to work on that it's literally thrown me for a loop. It sounds dumb, but I had no idea how much I had come to depend on the hobby to work through things about life in my mind. I was really happy to be able to help someone out by selling what I had, but totally unprepared for the aftermath. I'm not trying to sound dramatic, I had no idea how integral old cars had become in my life!

Last edited: May 26, 2017
    deucemac likes this.
  7. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A '65 Polara 4 door on C/L: https://inlandempire.craigslist.org/cto/6110293249.html
    A '64 Polara 2 door on C/L: https://inlandempire.craigslist.org/cto/6107724982.html

8. 38 mopar_fan

38 mopar_fan

A man without a project is like a dog without a bone

I know that feeling