Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Ed Roth "bubble car" another one ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by stillrunners, May 23, 2017.

1. Well just got wind of an estate sale in Saginaw, Mi of the late Henry Van Boexlaer and in one picture it does look like another "Mysterian" along with some other stuff and what loos like a motorcycle Roth did.

Have no association - hope some's close to get some goodies !

The auction site or auctioneers is - Jb Estate Liquidators out of Saginaw.....

2. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

Looks like someone has pulled a couple copies off the "great speckled bird" mold.

3. upspirate

upspirate

4. Colin HD

Colin HD

Confident to say it is not one of Ed Roths cars.
    But does look interesting and he defiantly was a Roth fan!
    Trike is not the Speckled Bird, but one of the many bodies Ed sold, from memory could be the American Chopper.

5. Colin HD

Colin HD

Mark M will be along shortly, he'll know for sure.

brEad likes this.
  6. Paging @Moriarity .......please pick up the white courtesy phone.

7. fuzzface

fuzzface

you can see it in picture 9 too. looks like a project bubbletop car he was building. no sides on it . Also in picture 10 looks like another wrapped bubbletop on the shelf.

8. Squablow

Squablow

Looks to me like the guy was starting to build a VW powered bubble top style show car, but didn't get far. I see the VW drivetrain, the dome all covered up in tape, and a sheet of sheetmetal that it's sitting on.

Unless they turn out to be reproductions, I bet those signs on his shop wall will bring more than any of the project cars if they auction it all off.

9. fuzzface

fuzzface

yep, i'm with squablow. he was building his own version. Besides the full bubbletop on the shelf, looks like he has a partial one right behind it that I didn't noticed the first time looking at the pictures.

looks like my shop. various cars waiting and others in different stages of being built.

10. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Yup looks like a project bubbletop the guy never finished. The trike on the other hand looks like one of Roths kit trikes.....

11. thanks guys....your eyes are better than mine....hope someone's close enough to score a deal or two....

12. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Wish I was still into VW's.

13. DOugG

DOugG
    from mich

I've known about this car for a few years and allways wanted to see it as I work with his son . He has told me that it is a Roth car that never got finished. He said his dad had changed visions over the years on what HE wanted the car to look like. I believe he told me that at one point they had contacted Ed wife about this car also

14. Colin HD

Colin HD

When did he acquire this 'Roth' car?

15. [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    A few pics from the auction ad. The dude was into VWs.

16. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

The only unfinished Roth car that I am aware of is the LA Zoom. And this car is not it. That blue trike though is an American beetle kit trike though and you can read the name Roth on the footpeg support.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

17. Colin HD

Colin HD

Agreed, not the LA Zoom, although the chassis is somewhat similar to Beatnik 2.
    Mark any leads on Zoom?

18. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Ed told me he sold it to a guy in northern Calif who owned a trucking company. I haven't heard anything since. I am convinced this auction car is not a Roth car. I wouldn't mind having that trike though....

19. Colin HD

Colin HD

I can remember seeing Zoom outside that Mini-Truck shop in LA about 1991ish.
    The trike would be a cool score!
    Hard to see from the pics, but sure the 'other' blue trike in the garden, is not a Roth kit.

20. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

yup, the other solid blue trike body seems to be a roth kit trike body too......

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  21. HemiTCoupe

HemiTCoupe
    from TN.

Trike looks a lot like the one I had. My trike was built by the "Trike shop" in MN. He has been building them since the 70's. I had two different engines for mine, a built 2332, and a 1836. I would change the motors for Friday & Saturday street racing, it only took a hour tops. It took me a year before I could shift it fast enough using my left hand, and a "I" pattern instead of a "H" pattern. Like the dung beetle, I never turned down anyone! I sold mine in 2209.

Pat

Attached Files:

22. Thanks chevy57dude for the photo. I hope a HAMB er finishes that bubble top. And the trike would have a good home at Moriarity's place. I for one love early 60s show Rods. I'll try and do a sketch of the bubble top for the Friday art show. I would like to see Henry's dream finished. If I were younger and had the $$$ I would bid on it.

lothiandon1940 and chevy57dude like this.
  23. One more thing - seeing a collection go up for sale like that causes me to redouble all efforts to reduce the horde here. Hopefully the guy who owned this stuff got enjoyment from having it around.

24. Other unfinished Roth cars back in the glory days of the 60s.
    jaj 6-8.jpg

25. yep....always a mix when you gather stuff you like - had Corvairs and that Porsche engine looks strong - OT but what year was the VolksRod T built ?

26. DOugG

DOugG
    from mich

I"ll have to ask how long he owned it. There were other cars that have been sold. One was a 28 sedan 80's build. When I was told that "my dad has a Roth car" I was like, really,hummm.

Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  27. DOugG

DOugG
    from mich

All right. I just talked to his son about this thang. His dad bought this car about 8-9yrs ago from someone in Arizona.
    The car was in very early build stage. The bubble was sitting on top of a fairly flat body panel that was cut to the top shape of the car. On the back side of the panel, which he said he thinks is steel, is a Roth signature. He said the panel is around there somewhere. But does that signature mean anything? I don't know.
    His dad had contacted Roths wife about the car and building it. She had told him that if he builds it as a Roth car, she will sue him, but if he wants to build a Roth inspired tribute car he can.
    I'm not sayin it is, I'm not sayin it ain't.
    I'm not buyin or sellin, just tellin what I know of the story.

28. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

The black body shell looks like Roth's Globehopper.

29. hope some good stuff is acquired.......