Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Macs/Eklers Shipping Cost?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 4wd1936, Aug 11, 2016.

1. F&J

F&J

I just went to my mailbox, and got 5 tips and 5 electrodes for plasma cutter, shipped in from England. They look exactly like OEM parts.

How come I had to go out of the USA for these. The total price was a third of local vendors? They came in a tiny airmail envelope.

2. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I quit buying from Macs after it was bought by Ecklers. I live 80 miles from Macs and found I could drive there cheaper than shipping, minus the time of course.

3. evintho

evintho

You can get all the cardboard boxes you want in many different sizes and shapes for free from USPS. You can call and order as much as you want and they'll deliver them to your front door. All FREE!

Lebowski likes this.
  4. BLAKE

BLAKE

The fact that Mac's/Ecklers is starting to suck is fairly well established. I've used them for years with no issues, but in the last 8 weeks or so they've screwed up several of my orders and they have been only moderately willing to apologize for their screw ups. It is what it is.

HOWEVER, I thought I'd counter the negativity with a positive story. Some folks here may not be big fans of Speedway, but after comparing pricing between Mac's, Amazon Prime, and Speedway, I placed an order with Speedway last Monday and paid the premium to have it delivered by Wednesday (2-day). It actually arrived on Thursday, which was really a non-issue for me... I just wanted to guarantee that I had the parts for the weekend. Then, while reading my email on Friday morning (yesterday), I was surprised to see an email from Speedway saying 'We goofed - You wanted it Wed and we delivered it Thurs - We're sorry!', and they have apparently... proactively... refunded the full shipping costs!!!

THAT is how you keep customers happy. For the stuff that's available at both Speedway and Mac's, I'm now giving Speedway first consideration.

5. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

It's not only mail order....ordered new bearings and cones for the front drums on my roadster from the local NAPA. One of the cones,$10.30 came from the Wyoming warehouse and freight was $11.70!

6. hotrod_willie

hotrod_willie

Try to order a USA made master cylinder for my 1940 Ford. Macs told me it would take 14 days, I call them today macs said 30 days, and got Email macs said it will be August. I order shackle kit for front end off my Model A ford 6 months ago and never receive the part. Before Eckler bought them I never had to wait more then week for my parts. I cancel the order.

7. I can't believe you guy's are still fuckin around with Mac's !!!! There is page after page of complaints on this forum
    When will you learn !!!!

tfeverfred and 54vicky like this.
  8. 5window

5window

Very sad about MACs. I've bought a lot of stuff from them and even had bumpers and a cowl band brought to a nearby car show for free (no shipping). I have had excellent service and care form Speedway (and my wife won $100 gift cards 2 years in a row at the same show (York NSRA).

I understand all about shipping, overhead, packaging,etc. but all it really takes is an employee who a-thinks and b-cares. Hard to find a x b today. MACs apparently hasn't.

9. OzyRodder

OzyRodder
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

10. 5window

5window

Was that Macs? Seems incredible, but I don't really have a handle on what shipping would expected to be.

11. Most thing Macs sells come from very reputable distributors. And no cheaper either
    Check out Carpenters or Carolina classics. Langs. Among many others .These are where most of the stuff comes from you are trying to get from Macs

12. I thought that you made your profit in marking the part up. These folks want to mark the part up & get more profit in shipping & handling also. I haven't bought from Ecklers since I bought a vette part & they shipped it ups which insures to $100.00 & they also charged shipping insurance. The part was not over $100.00 either. I don't buy from Macs either. Give the better venders my business.

34toddster likes this.
  13. Kenny P

Kenny P

Went to Fed Ex to return four stainless beauty rings back to the Early Ford Store. They wanted 44 dollars to ship!
    I went the next day to the USPS, only cost me 17 dollars.
    Another doozy, I wanted to order 2 decals from SCTA, 5 bucks for the decals, 12 bucks to ship them! Ah, nope.
    I saw Moon Speed Equip. had four of the same decals for five bucks, and they charged only a dollar to ship them.
    I guess you just have to shop around.

14. D Picasso

D Picasso

Eckler's are bums, full stop.

15. F1Jim64

F1Jim64

Eckler's also bought Rick's Camaros - same story, back orders and high shipping charges. And pics of the part don't match the part. Order light blue seats, get black seat belts. Call them - got any blue seat belts? Nope.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

16. patterg2003

patterg2003

I just got an order from Mac's and it went well. I sign into Bob Drake, Mac's, Dennis Carpenter etc so I get sale notices & can take advantage of the sales. Mac's use FEDEX and as a Canadian I dread anything being shipped via Fedex or UPS as they usually add on a wicked fee to clear the border. I usually try to get parcels sent USPS as it is most reasonable for cross border shopping. The order from Mac's shipped cheaper than USPS which is rare and I was waiting for the other shoe to drop and get a the Customs brokerage fees so far nothing. I may try them again based on my experience. I create a wishlist and order in lots when a sale occurs & budget allows to try to stretch a dollar. I can see if a person is ordering a small order where the US shipping could hurt.

17. Airborne34

Airborne34
    from Texas

Same story across the spectrum for every company consumed by Eklers. This complaint is almost 5 years old for Macs, older for some of the others. What gets me is that they havnt changed. This tells me that they have a customer base that doesn't care, so their bottom line isn't affected.

54vicky likes this.
  18. OzyRodder

OzyRodder
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

[
    Same item from another vendor, same price for item, but $14.00 shipping.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

19. southcross2631

southcross2631

Live in Florida and takes days or weeks to get stuff from Ecklers warehouse if you get it at all.
    Returns are even more of a joke. Get used to the wrong parts from Mac's.

20. wagoon78

wagoon78
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Macs sells stuff on that auction site and shipping on there is reasonable. Used to buy most parts from them since everything was in stock and quick shipped. Since Ecklers took over I try and shop elsewhere.

21. sololobo

sololobo

I always felt back order shipments should be at suppliers cost. No defending any one here but am aware that shipping costs, such as U. S. Postal service rates are pretty out of site. I sell on ebay and am stunned at the cost of some of my shipments. I think the best policy is to give good instructions when ordering to hold shipments until able fill entire order. Some times this policy will make for a long order filling situation as the supplier has to also wait a long time to fill inventory slots.

22. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

I've started checking ''Rock Auto'' before buying small items. It's amazing how low the total price is including shipping. Carb base gaskets , window cranks and washers , rubber pedal pads and even starters.

54vicky likes this.
  23. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

It seems to be universal for mail order to ship items that will fit in an envelope and need at most a couple stamps, and put it in a big ass box. Why? Makes no sense.

24. patterg2003

patterg2003

You make a good point. I ordered a part set that could have fit in a box about 1/3 the size with common sense packaging. It is like everything is designed to hang in a display and occupy a good space to be showy to catch a buyer. The Europeans put a manufacturing fee on packaging to recycle the materials that is intended to discourage oversized packaging. Less packaging = less fees & it cuts down on landfill. A lot of waste space filling up the trucks & airplanes so overpaying for moving oversized packages, useless packing & air.

Fedcospeed likes this.
  25. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Not even that, once ordered a set of carburetor jets. They could have taped them to a postcard when you get right down to it, but they arrived in a 1'x1' box.

26. Fedcospeed

Fedcospeed

Id like to know how a place like Summit and Mc Master Carr can get me my stuff the next day even when its ordered at 6pm the day before. We have Never had any problems with cost or getting anything at all. Maybe a pure volume kind of thing but there has to be an easier way for other places to do things.
    Crap parts and lousy service will in the end be the death of this company mentioned at the top.I live 20 minutes away and will never buy from Mac Donalds again.

27. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Car parts, especially vintage car parts, isn't like running a typical mail order business. It just isn't. The people running it have to be car guys and have turned a wrench or two, and understand the problems associated with junk parts. We're lucky there are so many parts to choose from but when the "civilians" take over a company it's not going to work.

28. dylan60

dylan60
    from ny

We used to deal with macs because it was local but since ecklers took over it is nothing but back orders.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Truck64 and TagMan like this.
  29. I'm done with Macklers. Then they sent me an email asking to review the parts I never received, so I did. I even tried to be fairly polite:

Can't rate what I don't have.
    Eckler's asked me to write a review. Unfortunately, I never received the parts. Ok, not entirely true... I ordered 4 shock links and received 1. I ordered 3 more, and received another 1. I spoke with customer service (?) and they assured me that they would send me the last 2 and not charge me for shipping (although the time I spend driving across the border to my post box, and the fees I pay there to pick up packages is my expense). I never received the last 2, it's been 5 weeks now. I'm not holding my breath. I'm a long-term Mac's customer, I don't think I'll be a long term Eckler's customer.

Their response:
    Our staff has read your review and values your contribution even though it did not meet all our website guidelines. Thanks for sharing, and we hope to publish next time!

Fuck Ecklers.

F1Jim64, RICH B, Truck64 and 2 others like this.
  30. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Maybe they're leveraging their synergies for a more holistic and proactive approach. Cut 'em some slack!