Register now to get rid of these ads!

What the best A/C kit to use in a coupe?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bluto, Apr 11, 2006.

1. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

Any ideas? Tips? Bitches?

2. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

get a large bowl full of ice cubes and a clip on mini electric fan from a 99cent store...BAM! instant AC and when the ice melts you have some nice cold water to drink.

:D

3. borndead327

borndead327

260 air!
    been usin it for years

4. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

I got a Tyco vacuum fan now the ice keeps drippin' on me
    I was hoping for something 21st century:)

5. gtnrkix

gtnrkix

Geez, I hate to post an answer now, don't want to be labeled the serious guy!
    I'm gettin' old, fat and soft so I like AC. I've installed several Vintage with no problems. I just put my first Old Air unit in my ol Dodge truck. Went in easy, looks real and clears the cowl vent. So far, highly(cooly?) recommended.

6. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

A/C goes in onnamy race cars...... The windows don't open much....:eek:

Attached Files:

7. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

i figured you were going to start working on the other coupe...but AC would definately would make that much more comfy in the soCal warmth...do you need to have AC'ed earplugs also?

8. man-a-fre

man-a-fre

vintage air genII mini.with defrost

9. I have seen both Vintage Air and Hot Rod Air systems. They work barely OK. IMO, the biggest drawback is that they are as ugly as a mud fence. The controls on most are homely. My friend has a HR Air system in his '55 Chevy and it uses a modified stock heater control panel, but the outlet registers are totally ugly and cheap looking. I have heard of using Honda Prelude registers because they are slim and well done. I will follow this thread to see if there is an acceptable solution.

10. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Real hotrods and real men dont have A/c.
    Doc.

11. Michael Malice

Michael Malice
    from DePere, WI

Can get these real cheap!!!

12. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

Vintage Air......Generation II Mini.....is what I have. It is the smallest name brand A/C I found. Have not yet used it.....but a very good friend has the same exact unit in a sedan and it works great in his car. My car is a coupe...so I am expecting it to cool very well.

One of the keys to A/C working well is heat prevention. Work to stop the heat from getting in the car and the A/C will have a lot easier time cooling the interior.

13. mikeyboy

mikeyboy

vintage air unit in the 46 pickup. works good if you remove the heater valve & block the hoses during the summer. Capillary tube design sucks. on my second one. But it will blow 36 degree air, and freeze you out of the truck...proved that to the g/f on the way to louisiana last year :D

14. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

I've used both Vintage & Hot Rod Air. Both work fine. As far as controls. I use the original controls in my 56 & 57 Chevy, modified of course.

15. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

Thanks for the advice. I have never put A/C in anything. I'm re-tin' the inside of this and was thinking about air. This big bulky stuff has to be worked into the design.It may not be possable. The office is small

This thing has less room than a GT 40 inside and even less storage

You sit next to the engine and the headers go over your legs. The tail pipes run along next to your side. In the past I just used Nomex felt.This time I wanted all the tin to show

Just to show I'm getting old........ it gets power steering too!

The windows don't open but the doors lift off. I 'spose I could run without em..... kindda like the 300 SL "dog's leg" guys with em up....... nope I'm not that old yet...... or dumb

Here's a motor shot for those that haven't seen it before.

Attached Files:

16. I have installed several of the big name A/C units in customers cars over the last twenty years.
    I am not so impressed with the big name/frontrunners as I would have thought....
    One time I used that little cheap set that Southern Air sells for 700dollars [complete]-in a 49 Caddy fastback, and to tell you the truth it works just as good as the $1300 plus units I have also used.
    I believe there are only a few actual A/C"makers" and a lot more "resellers" in the A/C game.
    I personally woud spend the difference in cost you'd save on insulating and sealing that body up......two of the main determining factors in staying cool.

17. chrisntx

chrisntx
    from Texas .

I STRONGLY suggest that you stay away from OldAir Products in Fort Worth. And as far as 'real' hotrods not having air, YOU come live in Texas and drive your old car daily!

18. Man, Jim. How much help do you expect after calling us Bitches?