Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1930 Highboy Roadster Build- Project "time capsule"

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by bryanj, May 23, 2017.

1. bryanj

bryanj

[​IMG] Starting a thread for my newly acquired project, which is a 1930 Model A roadster, a project I've been wanting to do for many years, a whole bunch of planets aligned and I was able to get a great body to start with from a Member on here. Plans have been in my head for a long time, But go something like this- I want it to look straight out of the 50s, with a second goal of NO PART newer than 1960, down to NOS spark plugs and no modern wire connectors etc. Exceptions for tires, internal mechanical parts etc of course.

Model A frame
    No top or engine hood
    No channeling or serious body mods, just lowered in the back and a dropped axle.

Engine- I have a complete 1955 265 Chevy, access to a Chrysler Hemi and of course a flathead.

Trans- Looking to go traditional ford 3 speed top load but open to suggestions.

I have so many questions when it comes to making a bunch of old ford parts work together and can't wait to hunt down parts and make this as unique and cool as possible.

2. bangerbob

bangerbob

Built this one the same way--30 frame and engine, ModA 527 SEP w-clr AF001.JPG , 29 body, hand painted flames---get'er done

kiwijeff and 120mm like this.
  3. brady1929

brady1929

Good luck. I had a 30 roadster body and sold it. Wish I didn't.

4. bryanj

bryanj

Have access to a 41 lincoln parts car....would column shift trans and rear end work?

5. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

Solid looking body. Subscribed.

6. very nice starting point !, I like how you think - Subscribed.

7. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

8. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

Nice project you have there. I have seen a couple column shift model a's. Makes them unique for sure. Grab that Lincoln and use everything you can. Good luck

Sent from my SM-G900V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

9. alchemy

alchemy

You won't like the Lincoln rearend as it has a one piece driveshaft and pinion shaft. Not easy to shorten the driveshaft like you will need. Might be able to use the trans, but look for a 40ish Ford rearend.

bryanj likes this.
  10. bryanj

bryanj

Yeah i wasn't sure about the Linc....theres a 39 ford in the woods about 10 miles from here going to investigate this weekend.

11. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

Tried to drop a '41 ford column shift into my '30 coupe with a '40 dash.... cool, but when I slid the seats in there was a belly problem getting in and out... tried a thinner '32 truck dash... nope...
    The column would need to be shortened at least 3" between the wheel and dash, and also shortened at the lower end...
    Floor shift it is... pix on my frozen laptop.

12. bryanj

bryanj

13. Limey Kid

Limey Kid

The front axle is a '35. Don't know about the rear. The wheels are '35 if they are 16". So it could all be '35.
    Cheers,
    Stewart.

14. bryanj

bryanj

Interesting, sounds like a good candidate for having it dropped.
    Ill measure torque tube and see if i can figure out rear end.

15. alchemy

alchemy

The rearend is either a late 32 or a 33/34. Difference is the length of the driveshaft and torquetube.

16. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

flip the rearend upside down...there is a re-enforcement web that runs from the torque tube flange up the center section, there will be #s stamped in it... divide the smaller # into the larger to give you the factory gear ratio that came in that rear...
    smaller # is commonly a 9... these #s are the # of teeth on the gears...
    hope it helps...

17. bryanj

bryanj

I found the numbers..looks like a 9 over 37 which is 4.11. What are the torque tube lengths of those years? and is this stuff anything i should use on the Av8.