Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical A question for the garage tool making gurus

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HJLrulz, May 23, 2017.

1. HJLrulz

HJLrulz

I know making something from solid stock is probably the strongest way, but, lets say i dont have the right thickness metal for the project at hand. How strong or weak would the metal be if i made something from a stack of similar metal, bolted or rivited together to the needed thickness?... the project im thinking of is not extremely high strength, or dangerous if it was to break, but does need to be strong enough to get the job done. ... any thoughts?

Ps... im thinking about stacking sheet metal to get to 1/2" thickness, maybe 2" wide and about 15" to 20" long

Herschel

2. Probably depends on the end use,maybe 2 pieces of 1/4 inch.

3. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Stacking or layering sheet metal is a "weak" solution, especially
    if you have any torque or bending forces applied.
    What tool is it that you're trying to make?

4. oj

oj

The 'stacking' of 2 thickness' isn't the weak part, it is the bolts/rivets/weld etc joining them.

Dino 64 and afaulk like this.

5. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

I'm no guru, but your intended application needs to be known to fully answer your question.

upspirate and 49ratfink like this.
  6. squirrel

squirrel

It's all in the design...you gave us no clues as to what it has to do, so we can't answer your question.

C'mon, spill it, we can help you figure out how to do what you need to do.

upspirate and 49ratfink like this.
  7. BJR

BJR

Are you thinking plywood, only metal?

8. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Dino 64 and 31Vicky with a hemi like this.
  9. If they are heated and forge welded together. Them dudes mix the molecules up man

302GMC, Just Gary and gimpyshotrods like this.
  10. Strong enough to get the job done?

I'm sure it will do serious damage to a entire swarm of flies before it fails.

You probably could put a few good dents in a door skin with it.

It will leave a mark on someone

It might hold water

Great door prop giving many years of service.

2 pieces of 1/4" x2"
    Available at the local home center.

HJLrulz likes this.
  11. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What eeeeessss eeeetttt maaannn!?

117harv and HJLrulz like this.
  12. This is like asking if .................................,well,can I?

HJLrulz likes this.
  13. Wallaby

Wallaby

Surface tension makes it strong. Laminated sheets are stronger than a singe thick piece.
    The same applies to plywood; the thinner the sheets, the less resistant to bending it is.

14. ya making your own leaf spring?

15. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Every metro area has a fabrication shop. Often there is more than one.

Every fabrication shop invariably ends up with leftovers from jobs called drop.

Some of my finest work has been done with drop. Get some.

flatford39 and saltflats like this.
  16. HJLrulz

HJLrulz

Yeah, I was vague on the end use on purpose. I wanted the info given kinda general or generic because I have different uses in mind, different projects. The 1/2"×2"×15" dimensions is something I want to make that will be used as a lever, think "come along" or "winch" but without the ratcheting and cable.
    I've been reading the Homemade Tools thread and thought about making somethings using whatever i can easily obtain (free) and posting there. Also thinking maybe someone here that has more knowledge on riveting might donate some of that info for me to absorb .
    Right now I'm making a small power hacksaw from mostly scrap, I came across some black pipe, so im considering making a bandsaw and maybe some form of rotisserie, ( thats why I made the hacksaw 1st). I might post those there also as i finish them.
    Herschel

Sent from my cell phone when I shoulda been working, using the H.A.M.B. mobile app

17. HJLrulz

HJLrulz

This is kinda what I'm hoping to hear...lol

Sent from my cell phone when I shoulda been working, using the H.A.M.B. mobile app

18. HJLrulz

HJLrulz

I never thought of that!!!!!...... Now I wonder if i collected up enough knives, could i forge them together to make said leafspring?... now wouldn't that be a turn around...lol

Herschel

pat59 likes this.
  19. If your tool projects are successful, please post them here

If your tool projects are successful, please post them here. I'm sure we'd all like to see them

20. HJLrulz

HJLrulz

Oh yeah!,... the shop I work in "donates" scrap steel to quite a few of my wizbang wonders... i mean serious projects.

21. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

How much force on the lever?

22. HJLrulz

HJLrulz

Lol,.... it's just an idea that I am looking into, nothing incredibly serious

Herschel

23. HJLrulz

HJLrulz

Yup,.. bingo

24. mountainman2

mountainman2

???

25. HJLrulz

HJLrulz

Just arm strength

26. HJLrulz

HJLrulz

I was thinking the same thing

27. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Guess it depends on how big your arm is.
    May work..........maybe stack them up and then wrap it and bolt or rivet together.

28. HJLrulz

HJLrulz

Im out in the garage and I'm looking at the sheetmetal, its anout .035" thick x 16" tall by more then i need long. Instead of cutting into strips first, what if i was able to fold it? If I can fold it into 16 layers i should get .500" thickness... or close to that... then i will still have to fasten it together to hold its shape and around areas of the pivot points and things. Thoughts anyone?

Herschel

29. HJLrulz

HJLrulz

...ps also making a bending brake and possibly some kinda sheet metal roller

30. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

I have a project that requires a rope. If my rope isn't long enough, can I tie two pieces of rope together? Will it be strong enough?

HJLrulz likes this.