Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical drivers side alternator mount SBC - WTF is wrong ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 31Vicky with a hemi, May 23, 2017.

1. Go find a 68 to 72 chevy pickup. They have the same corvette alt bracket that bolts to the head. That is the only set up worth a shit to use. Even if you do get those brackets you have to work they will bend and deflect and the belt will never stay tight. If you cant find one let me know. I should have 5 or six of them in the shop. I snag every one I see one, just in-case...

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  2. BigDogSS

BigDogSS
    from SoCal

Fred, the OP's bracket or the Summit bracket?

3. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

The OP's bracket. It looks like a BBC bracket that I accidentally bought, thinking it was for a SBC many years ago.

czuch likes this.
  4. Just out of curiosity- what are those heads from? Also looks like manifolds? Gotta go with Jim on this deal, but the missing bolt hole(s) across the head at the bottom lead me to think some alterations, and mixing/matching....... In my Nova's with a swp, the cheesy bracket that fit the #1/#3 cyl got at least a tack weld.(hedders) With manifolds, depending on head casting/holes, the 68-72 Chev PU bracket that bolted to the face of the head was the ticket, and the long arm which was close to the VC, but fit, and cleared. It just hung it out there a lil.

5. stimpy

stimpy

the bracket you have is for current heads with the hole at the 11'o clock position to lay the bracket out more to the right , you have to use a bracket thats made for heads without the holes in the ends . the long strap style just locates it for belt tension , the alternator is held in place and prevented by twisting from the bottom , as long as the bottom is tight it will not move .

Tim likes this.
  6. BigDogSS

BigDogSS
    from SoCal

I agree. I'll bet it is a BBC bracket.

7. The one I ordered states SBC
    If it's a BBC bracket then that's a problem.

image.jpeg image.jpeg
    image.jpeg

8. BigDogSS

BigDogSS
    from SoCal

Hmmm....maybe it is a SBC bracket. I don't know....try an OEM bracket?

9. Seems to work just fine on this guys engine. Plus there's a mile of room between the valve cover and the Altenator body.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

10. Heads are iron RHS heads

11. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

The lower factory bracket looks to have a bit of a jog in it, moving the alternator up slightly.

12. For better or worse ... Alan Grove has all kinds of steel brackets. Just speaking out loud. I've used his products out of necessity in prior times of need. What time is this one ? :)

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  13. Love ya kid ! :D

14. I'm wondering if the alternator is too big?

15. ...speedway has mounts to mount it low on driver's side, would that work?
    37 coupe build 165.jpg

Poh likes this.
  16. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

Those usually hit the front crossmember on a Chevy II.

INVISIBLEKID likes this.
  17. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

See what I was referring to in post #43?
    image (1).jpeg image.jpeg

redlineracer42 and Blues4U like this.
  18. stimpy

stimpy

looks like the bracket that goes between the header and the bracket is wider by 1/2" also look at the slot placement on the upper bracket , his is longer and starts farther out yours starts mid cover his is near the edge .

and the alternator kick out near the inside is in a different spot . so it is a shorter bracket , take the bolt out of the manifold and rotate the bracket to aproxamitely where the hole in the head would be in the upper left hand side and see if it drops in place .

norms30a likes this.
  19. Fordors

Fordors

As landseaandair has already mentioned the alternator is higher with the bracket in the photo. Easy way out is to get the water pump mounted bracket, you already have the lower bracket for that setup. I ran that style on my sedan before I added AC and never had an issue with it. The header mounted bracket holds the alternator rigid, the long bracket is only holding the belt adjustment

20. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

It does look like the bottom brackets are different; the one that works seems to have the mounting point further out away from the head, allowing the alternator to rotate farther in at the top.

21. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

Main thing is it moves the alternator up allowing more inward swing before the body hits the bracket.

22. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

What angle heads ? Port positioning is it the same as stock ?

23. Yes stock port location and threaded holes.

24. Rex_A_Lott

Rex_A_Lott

I have two stock setups for 64s, one a pickup and one a Belair. They appear the same, but are different from what you have... So I'm no help, just a bump to the top. Good luck.

25. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

I never liked the bracket that I had on my 67 GMC, it seems flimsy.
    Also remember be sure you have the correct water pump as SBC use 3 a long and a short and another odd short.
    I believe they were on GMC's but don't know what else used them.

Last edited: May 24, 2017
  26. dfetterolf

dfetterolf

Wrong bracket style for that type of alt., or wrong alt. for that style braket. Had same problem once.

Sent from my SM-J700T using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

27. Poh

Poh
    from Quincy,Ca.

As said, the TOP bracket appears to be much longer on your reference picture.. bump to top.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

norms30a likes this.
  28. And again, I have not found a long or a short reference to that bracket.
    Nor do I have a measurement for the one that looks longer.