Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1941 Ford Pickup

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1oldtimer, Apr 7, 2017.

1. Rice n Beans Garage

Rice n Beans Garage

2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That is sweet, Missed the thread earlier but that truck looks to have the best of the best for the year it was built in it.
    I like your improvements. Not change for the sake of change but things that make a nice truck a really nice truck.
    Question, what year are the front brakes? I need to start looking for some for my Model A project.

3. 53-56 f100 front brakes, you can use f1 brakes (48-52) but they're slightly wider, just make sure you use the matching drums/hub for either the F1 or F100.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
  4. Some more pics.

Wheel spacers:
    wheel spacers-1.jpg
    Found this under the stack of stickers......it's not even the first sticker on there :).
    plate-1.jpg

Bandit Billy likes this.
  5. One small hiccup last night while driving, it would shut off by itself while driving. After doing it a few times I traced it down to a faulty connection on the fuse panel....the ignition fuse.

It has a panel like this one and the piece that holds the fuse is riveted to the piece that holds the wire. The connection between the two, so a zip tie got us running again.
    [​IMG]

6. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

I'd suggest changing that panel. Quality is sketchy.

7. Yea, the zip tie was just to finish cruising that night. I'm wrestling with idea to either upgrade to a blade style fuse, stay with the glass (new cheaply made one) or repair the made in USA one to keep the originality of the build.

Last edited: May 22, 2017
    Jet96 likes this.
  8. Maineac 1

Maineac 1

Just finished reading this entire thread! Awesome find and glad to see that you are fixing things right to make it a true pleasure to cruise in ! Have one of these I have been gathering parts for and hopefully this summer is the Summer of building a nice 41! Thanks for the inspiration !

9. After a full day of driving it, I started to get a valve tick. I took off the covers today and found they they were all loose (zero lash), except for 2 intakes that were VERY loose. Re adjusted the valves, put a new belt on, replaced the spark plug wires and toyed with Brite Boy again.

The engine looks pretty fresh, PO said 10k and I believe it:
    engine-1.jpg
    engine-3.jpg

Check out the valve cover with a half ass cleaning of Brite Boy:
    engine-2.jpg

Here's the fuse panel in question, now that I really had a chance to look at it there were 5 fuses at one time. I'm going to replace it next week.
    fuse panel-1.jpg

Last edited: Jun 4, 2017
    Okie Pete likes this.
  10. TurnpikeCruiser

TurnpikeCruiser

Awesome work on the trans cooler mounting, I really like how you did that. Some of my favorite details are the ones you have to search for. From your picture, it does look nearly invisible from the outside.

11. It had a universal lower hose, after 2 hours of looking on the gates hose id guide (and google) nothing would fit. I gave in and went with another universal, it installed ok but kinked as soon as the hose was warm...so I ditched it. I made a hose connector from aluminum tube (mind you I'm NO machinist):
    lower hose-2.jpg
    Cut into the hose and voila lower hose...
    lower hose-3.jpg

BTW if anyone needs some good bends with a long 1 3/4 id hose I used a Gates 23507 hose, super pricey $45-$78 BUT Rock auto has a closeout deal for $8.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 2, 2017
    Early Ironman and Okie Pete like this.
  12. Thanks, when your looking into the grille you see something but you cant tell what it is unless you know.

13. Starting of the buffing process.....compound, polish, #7 polish and wax.......hopefully no repeat. I think the big key to bringing back old paint (granted this truck wasn't oxidized, but I've done others that were) is Meguiars #7.........love that stuff. ALL Meguiars products work great, I finished at 2 am....total time around 7 hours which is why I only do this once and then wax after that :)
    waxing-1.jpg

Last edited: Jun 1, 2017
  14. Rice n Beans Garage

Rice n Beans Garage

Dan, I do have some old liquid ebony if you need it, both hand and machine type

15. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Great Find Dan!!!!!!
    I love those trucks!!!!!!!

16. Hey Scott, never heard of it...I googled it, sounds like #7 but in black form.......this is the first black vehicle I've owned (primer doesn't count).

Took the week off to work on the truck and other things. Going back over there to replace the fuse panel, I found this at a local parts house that has a big boat section.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 1, 2017
    alanp561 likes this.
  17. Thanks Kevin.

Cyclone Kevin likes this.
  18. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

Have a 40 I'm slowly collecting parts for (actually my 4yr old tell's every one it's his! ) you've done very well. Both the find & the recovery. A very nice truck!

19. Here's the last of the shots after the marathon wax/buff/hell.

At 2am......
    wax inside-1.jpg
    The next day......
    wax outside-1.jpg

20. Now the caps are back on and I'm driving it....trying to get it dirty again :).

Next posts hopefully will be stock gauge repairs.

F-ONE likes this.
  21. WOW!!
    Looking great!

22. Rice n Beans Garage

Rice n Beans Garage

23. patterg2003

patterg2003

Amazing truck. Congratulations on a great find. Definitely a find that one dreams of.

24. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:eek: Almost looks like a fresh paint job.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

25. Ok, another fun fact......if you have 2 different bolt patterns, you then need to run an adapter for a spare (to carry only one spare tire) and you need a skinny tire. I found an adapter to go from 4.75" to 5.5" (1.5" thick), so to be able run the spare on the rear with the adapter, I found that a t155/90r16 fit the bill also for height. So I now have a temp tire on a '40 Ford rim for a spare....:).

Last edited: Sep 28, 2017
    F-ONE likes this.
  26. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Wait what !? :confused: That reads like "If two trains leave the station at the same time but both have to travel different distances but arrive at the same time to their destination how is this done ?" ;)

27. Yea, late night posting :).

A pic clears most things up.

Spare:
    spare-1.jpg
    Adapter:
    5-Lug-Wheel-Adapters.jpg

Last edited: Jul 25, 2017
    F-ONE and catdad49 like this.
  28. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Lol, I couldn't resist and here's another. "See how it works is. The train move's not the station" [​IMG]

29. Another fun fact.......tires don't last 20+ years :D. The tires are most likely from the 80s or possibly the early 90's, but have brand new tread and only slight sidewall cracking. So what do I do........I run them HA!. The front lasted about 300 miles and just after I got the spare setup going.....luckily. I was driving today and started to feel a front end shimmy, kept driving of course, it got worse after another 5 miles so I headed towards an empty parking lot, as I pulled in I heard the familiar sound of an angry tire in the final stages of a tread separation. On the plus side I actually got to use the jack and spare, negative side is I need tires now.

flat-1.jpg
    flat-2.jpg
    flat-3.jpg

30. New tires (larger front).
    right side-4.jpg

Bandit Billy, dlw1932, treb11 and 4 others like this.