Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods "The Creeper"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mike bowling, Jan 17, 2017.

1. I have played around with a cut down zip pad that is connected to a 1/4 inch arbor. The results were good enough that several friends have had me make up some dash inserts for them. After you have done a few it gets easier to keep things lined up and overlapped.

loudbang likes this.
  2. mike bowling

mike bowling

Sorry to have disappeared for so long- busy time of year!

I do have some more pics, BUT, DSCN3081.JPG DSCN2667.JPG my son has gone back to the West Coast for a concert tour with his crew in the "Bywater Band" playing traditional Irish and Scots music with some Boston insanity mixed in. These guys know how to raise the roof! SOOOOOOOO, no Tech Support.
    Hopefully back at the "Creeper" soon- I've got the '30 coupe out now; feels good to get back on the road!

Hang in there, and have a safe Spring!

3. mike bowling

mike bowling

Back on the body- I want to get it back on the frame so the green coupe will fit in the garage again.
    Body work is a love/ hate thing for sure ( my fingers are bloody stumps- it's the only way to get the details sharp) DSCN3281.JPG

4. mike bowling

mike bowling

Picked up an old roundy round fuel cell for 20 bucks- Not sure if it will be permanent, but it's good for now. I like the metal "D" ring cap better than the mickey mouse ears some have........... DSCN3235.JPG

chryslerfan55, loudbang and Stogy like this.
  5. mike bowling

mike bowling

Picked up a Monte Carlo drive shaft and 2 glass pacs for another 20 bucks. Had a friend cut down the driveshaft & re weld it ( this guy has certs to weld just about anything), another friend who has a garage down the street hooked me up with new u joints, I painted it Kelley Green with gold flake , and in she went. ( Tis a salute to "Boston Strong" , I guess.) DSCN3236.JPG DSCN3289.JPG

6. mike bowling

mike bowling

Did a little on the motor for a change of pace- put the front end together for the final time, all sealed, tightened and slopped up with "Never Seize". Also picked up a rebuilt 1 wire 100 amp alternator and set that up. Then the surprise- the first v-belt I bought FIT!! ( '68 Corvette) . Brakes are plumbed ( no leaks- I'm getting nervous) final fit-up by my buddy Chris who's also building a real nice 1930 "A" coupe. Tranny cooler in too. Whew! DSCN3266.JPG DSCN3270.JPG
    Started to figure out the radiator location and hoses, but supper time...............

Break !!
    ( got some distortion with the beach beauty- she looks like a pin head!! The important part(s) look OK though.)

7. Love the build and late on the punch of an observation.
    That rearend is from an F-body of 80's or '90's origin. 7.5" ring gear, maaayyyyybeeeeee large??? 28 spline axles. :eek: Most are 26 splines axles :oops:. The giveaway is the torque bar mount cast into the housing on the driver side of the driveshaft. I wouldn't call it strong behind a 327 that sounds like it will be more powerful than mine. I twisted off the driver side axle in my '59 9" car rear '29 A with 3.50 gear, which was my fault or it had been twisted and not finished by the donor vehicle's driver.
    Just an observation and you may have the plan to make it better than that as there were few 1LE cars of that gen that had the Dana 44 option with...."Cop car brakes"...too.
    Just thinkin', not criticizin'.....

mike bowling and loudbang like this.
  8. onekoolkat1950

onekoolkat1950

loudbang and mike bowling like this.
  9. loudbang

loudbang

Love family sized Top Ramen box.

mike bowling likes this.
  10. NashRodMan

NashRodMan

Clunker,
    I think Patrick was talking about the rear axle not the driveshaft. Or am I missing something here???
    Happens a lot! LOL
    NRM

loudbang likes this.
  11. Yeah, my bad ! I read the post too fast, missed the ring gear part and my brain filled in the rest. In context my observation makes no sense. I fixed it. Thx!

(Side note: in case anyone doesn't know what "Boston Strong" is, it's got to do with the regional reaction to the Marathon bombings.)

[​IMG]

Lookin' good Mike

12. mike bowling

mike bowling

No problem, my friend- if people didn't enlighten me with info., I'd be in deep shit!
    That rear end came out of a Firebird. It had stock finned aluminum drums and was in good shape so for $150. bucks I went with it. I don't beat on my cars , and just getting them out of the shop and on the road will start a whole new "test and tune" series of sorting out ideas that may sound good in theory , but not work. All part of the process!

I appreciate the interest in the project. MB

Last edited: May 23, 2017
    patrick2965 and loudbang like this.
  13. mike bowling

mike bowling

"Traditional" gearhead food. What's important; new parts or fancy meals?

Dino 64 and loudbang like this.
  14. mike bowling

mike bowling

Thank the Lord! Better weather is kicking in, so we can let the fresh air in! It wasn't a BAD winter, but it was still a long one.............. The garage gets mighty small in the winter months!. DSCN3279.JPG

15. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

Mike is my friend and my mentor. I believe this is his sixth model a in 10 or so years. He is ALWAYS helping out on my car, and others. Whether it is knowledge or spare parts, Mike is "the go-to guy." His builds are well thought out (he may disagree) and always a hit when he unveils them. I can't wait to see, and hear this one. If it wasn't for Mike my car probably wouldn't exist.

Sent from my SM-G900V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

16. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

17. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Everyone keeps telling GreaserJosh from Ca to dump his car 'cause the bottom needs a heap of work. He needs to read the build thread for your car (Something from nothing), and dig into Mike Bowling's threads for some inspiration, and to see what a someone can accomplish with some effort and yankee ingenuity. (I know A's are a different animal, but still). Well done.

Last edited: May 23, 2017
  18. mike bowling

mike bowling

Jeez, Ronnie ( wheeldog57), take it easy! Half the fun in this is making new friends and being able to help tap into parts and knowledge ( why "break trail" if others have gone before you?). Works both ways, and it's a beautiful thing. DSCN3121.JPG

Plus it's always good to have other addresses for the UPS or Fastenal deliveries to go to!
    (Momma's on a "need to know" basis, and she don't need to know nothin' )

19. 32 hudson

32 hudson

I am liking this a lot !!

loudbang and mike bowling like this.
  20. mike bowling

mike bowling

I used to- I'm loosing steam!!
    No quitting though ( just more breaks!!)

Dino 64, loudbang and onekoolkat1950 like this.
  21. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

22. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

loudbang likes this.
  23. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

tapatalk_jpeg_1497394660790.jpg tapatalk_1497394725739.jpeg Mike was a big help, as usual, at the beach. He was the jackman for me as well as the pit crew for at least two other racers. Always equipped with knowledge and a quick wit, thanx again Mike. Looking forward to helping you get your "creeper" going real soon!

Sent from my SM-G900V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

24. Mike's a great guy !

25. brg404

brg404
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Maybe time for another Intermission?:rolleyes:

mike bowling likes this.
  26. 41woodie

41woodie

A little off topic but after a bit of snooping on youtube I learned that your son is a hell of a flutist. Well done

mike bowling likes this.
  27. mike bowling

mike bowling

Thanks, 41 woodie! 2 sons and 1 daughter, all musicians. The oldest, Patrick, just got back from a West Coast tour with his crew "The Bywater Band"- Scots/ Irish blend. Paddy plays flute, bourhan (sp.- drum), penny whistle, and bagpipes and is learning banjo and mandolin. My other son, Tomas, plays fiddle, and my daughter Meg can play piano, cello, clarinet, penny whistle, guitar and concertina.
    Very proud Dad!! ( all college grads too!)

I have more "Kreeper" pics to post- need to get them downloaded ( soon hopefully) DSCN3271.JPG

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  28. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

brEad, biggeorge, ABONES and 3 others like this.
  29. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

loudbang likes this.
  30. Mikel50

Mikel50

I like seeing updates on your car mike but I love the intermissions ...torn like an ole' sweater

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Dino 64 and loudbang like this.