Register now to get rid of these ads!

49 Chevy PU Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tonkadawg, Jun 14, 2011.

1. tonkadawg

tonkadawg

Bought this truck 2 1/2 years ago when my son was born. The idea is to use it as a way to teach him how to not only work on it, but about lessons in life, how to treat people and how to work hard to earn something. You know, teach him how to be a good man.

The lessons we've already learned:

• You don't touch other peoples cars
    • The major car parts - wheel, tire, carb, generator, alt, radiator, distro...
    This is a first for me so I'll be learning as I go and am hoping you guys can keep me on the right path. I've been collecting parts and saving $$$ and I'm finally at a place to start working on it.

Here it is the day it was delivered:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

It has since been moved to my brother in laws garage up new Lancaster PA where I'm working over the weekends.

I finally got that nasty bumper cut off:
    [​IMG]

here's the original rear suspension set up:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've pulled that all out and started installing Posies 3" lowering springs and a ford 9" :
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

going back up in 2 weeks and plan to tear into the axle and take it to get blasted and coated.

Looking forward to any advice, guidance or input you guys have to offer.

-Matt

2. Sinister

Sinister
    from Oregon

Looks like it's in good shape. Nothing beats a solid base to start from. Don't forget to join the A.D.truck social group here, if you haven't already. Good people with lots of experience with these trucks.

Edit: I see you already found the social group, my bad. I'm a bit slow in the morning...

Last edited: Jun 14, 2011
  3. caseyscustoms

caseyscustoms
    BANNED
    from st.joe, MO

holy shit thats my old truck!

4. caseyscustoms

caseyscustoms
    BANNED
    from st.joe, MO

i brought it back to life from a field, hell it was already in primer when i got it. but i dont remember what all else i did to it.

front and rear bumper was all me, so thats my bad. :)

5. tonkadawg

tonkadawg

you forgot the 30.06 casings in the valve cover:
    [​IMG]

6. tonkadawg

tonkadawg

no worries :cool:

it's not as good as I thought when I bought it - body is in bad shape, you name it leaks - rear end, wheel cylinders, transmission, engine...

just need to take my time, do it right and get it back on the road

7. Chevy54

Chevy54
    from Orange, CA

Good looking truck...Im sure you and your son will have many great experiances with this over the year!

8. Sinister

Sinister
    from Oregon

They never are. I drove mine 3 miles before I found all the brake parts sitting in the bottom of the drums... :O

9. 36fred

36fred

Tonkadog; that is going to be a great progect. I wasn't going to say anything about the front bumper, glad you figured it out on your own. I would think twice about coating you rear yet, you need to mount it first, you may need to cut the mounts and reweld to get the rear end angle set and that would mess up the coating.

10. farmer12

farmer12

Love the truck, good luck with the (re)build.

11. caseyscustoms

caseyscustoms
    BANNED
    from st.joe, MO

Hahaha.

The things I thought was cool 3 years ago lol.

12. shadams

shadams

Wow that looks familiar! I can tell you (which you probably already know) that there will be lots of cuss words said, lots of bloddy knuckles and every nut and bolt will fight you to their death. But it is a blast. I have finally gotten to the point on mine where the work I am doing doesnt get me completely head to toe filthy, but, I havent really started on body work yet!! I sometimes wish I had someone to share/help, even if he was only 3 yrs old...good luck, and keep the pics coming!

13. tonkadawg

tonkadawg

thanks! I've enjoyed watching your progress on your 51

thanks for the advice about the coating - I do plan on cutting the spring pads - they're just a bit too wide. I did get new ones, so once I get the old ones off, I'll get the new ones on - 3* up right?

I don't weld so that's going to be the challenge. I do have a family friend who has experience (he's a muscle car guy) - I'm hoping schedules will line up and he'll help.

thanks

I really have enjoyed the last 2 weekends of work. I'm able to forget about everything else and focus on the task at hand. I am looking forward to the point where I'm not covered in filth and grim at the end of the day.

It's great, my son will take a break from playing to come see what I'm doing. I'll point out what's going on and he's really taking it in. Later in the night, he and I will discuss the progress.

14. caseyscustoms

caseyscustoms
    BANNED
    from st.joe, MO

How does the bed floor look? That was literally the first time I stained something. If I remember I even spray cleared the floor with automotive clear??

15. tonkadawg

tonkadawg

I guess it held up alright for what it was. I just wish you had removed the old floor before putting the new one in.

16. Roadsire

Roadsire

That looks like a good foundation to start with keep us posted I see your in Springfield I'm in Manassas so if theres something your looking for let me know as I have some parts

17. D-man313

D-man313

looks like a great start

18. tonkadawg

tonkadawg

progress hasn't been as fast as I'd like but have managed to get the axle cleaned up, new perches welded and painted

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

When I first tore into this I was thinking I'd be able to put it back together, set the backlash and all that. But the more I think about it, it's probably best to get someone whose done all that before. I'd hate to ruin a perfectly good axle. So I'm going to start looking around to see if I can find someone to either teach me or do the job out right.

19. farmer12

farmer12

Good to see some progress again, keep it up!

20. tonkadawg

tonkadawg

Wow.... 2 years.... I guess like a lot of others, work, family and life got in the way of making any progress. I was asked to move the truck from the garage where it's been sitting so I need to get this thing rolling again.

Big thanks to 1 Hotrod for loaning me his press. With this I was able to get the old bushings out and new ones in. I don't know what I would have done if he wasn't so helpful.

[​IMG]

and finally got the axle bolted up

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

ordering a couple more parts, and next visit up, I should be able to finally throw some tires on and roll it out and over to the new location

21. tonkadawg

tonkadawg

Long over due for an update, sadly not much progress has been made...

Got the rear suspension to the point where I could put the truck back on the ground. First time it's been outside in almost 4 years:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and it's new home:

[​IMG]

Then this past weekend I was able to get the front sheet metal off:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next time I'm back up in PA plans are to pull the engine and tranny

22. shadams

shadams

Hey man, saw a post of yours somewhere and remembered talking with you during my build. See its been a while, any progress or did you switch to something else?

23. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

That is a NICE truck ! And I like the direction you are going, both with the truck as well as your son :)

24. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

He was on here today shortly after you posted. maybe a PM is in order.

25. ...don't know how you knew where to mount those axle/spring mounts, you should have just bolted it all up not welding anything til your engine/trans was mounted, then set rear pinion angle ...

26. shadams

shadams

Im betting the truck is gone in favor of the Belair

27. tonkadawg

tonkadawg

what fun would that be?

drug it back 3 hrs south but now I have everything all under 1 roof

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nailhead Jason likes this.
  28. shadams

shadams

Sweeeeeet....Alright then.....need some updates....ive been driving mine for 2.5 yrs now. Time flies these days...

29. tonkadawg

tonkadawg

it seems I've spent more time hauling this thing up and down I95 than I have actually working on it :confused:

My son doesn't want me to do any major work on the Belair until it gets colder, so the focus this summer will be on the truck. Gonna try and get the new brake booster kit installed this weekend. stay tuned!

Nailhead Jason likes this.
  30. Hey Matt, let me know if you need some help with that thing or are looking for anything for it. I know where a secret stash of 48 to 54 pickups is right down the road in Spotsy.....