Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Plymouth at the dry lakes?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Rumblin Rolf, Jan 23, 2017.

1. Had an email-conversation with Don "Rockerhead" (Thank you so much for your response). Result negative. No Plymouths at the dry-lakes in the forties-fifties as far as he could recall. :-( My hope now lies with you guys or I'll have the first Plymouth in the old lakes-style. I obviously have to create a time-machine too...

ROCKER77 likes this.
  2. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

What makes that coupe (a nice one) lakes-style? The absence of front fenders, the chopped top, the moon discs, the roll bars?

3. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

Let's see . . . a great old video. Maybe I missed something, but there weren't any numbers I saw on the coupes in the pictures. Customs for chase cars or whatever. And the drag racer with the slant-6?. The closest I've seen (not counting Rich Fox's terrific 4-cylinders) is the fabulous DeSoto Coupe with the blown Chrysler in it. My buddy has a 50 wagon with twice carbonators and more. It's a great car. I love it. It's not a lakes machine.

4. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Yeah, well PBs are good. Mine went 135. And change.

Pufff likes this.
  5. Pufff, I really appreciate your deep digging in the drawers! :) I remember, in one of Don Montgomerys books there is a pic of a 37' DeSoto Coupe racing. Probably pre war.

6. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Small blue car to the left. Actually only the engine was a PB. The body is '29 Ford.

Pufff and woodiemike like this.
  7. hkestes

hkestes

Earl Edgerton (Edgy Speed Shop) built this flathead powered Chrysler coupe for Bonneville and went 136.

dumprat, Pufff and Rumblin Rolf like this.
  8. hkestes

hkestes

Here is a story on the Montana Dodge Boys 28 Dodge Fast Four Roadster that set a couple of records on the salt.

dumprat, Jet96, Pufff and 1 other person like this.
  9. I really love that this thread is alive. Gives us the strength to beat up them Ford-guys! In two hours I'll start my '37 Plymouth leading ten Fords on a roadtrip, 550 miles in four days. Will be awesome!

Sent from my SM-A300FU using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Jet96 likes this.
  10. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

11. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

1933 Plymouth Speedster.jpg 1933 Plymouth Speedster 02.jpg
    Modern photos, but this car was built c. 1946-'47 and is a '33 Plymouth underneath.

Pufff, RMR&C and Rumblin Rolf like this.
  12. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

Check out the last three runnings of the vintage speed club of England on the
    Pendine Sands in Wales. Same beach that saw the first runs of Malcomb Campbell's Blue Bird. I believe Plymouths have posted the top three times in their class over those past three years.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
    Rumblin Rolf likes this.
  13. That might be my friend Hans Rikk from southern Sweden driving a Model A with a Dodge 218 flat six equipped with a S.C.o.T blower. He's made some quite fast passes at Pendine Sands in Wales, U.K.