Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Tech question on new nickel/copper trans/fuel lines

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by TBonez, May 18, 2017.

1. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

Search on Amazon. TheStopShop has the stainless spring armor you're looking for.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. Never2low

Never2low

3. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

4. stimpy

stimpy

straightner ???? you can make it straight as a arrow shaft by bending the tube in a large section and slowly work it flat, then finish by rolling it on a flat surface not as hard as you think . .

5. stimpy

stimpy

thanks . as I am getting low and have to do a complete line overhaul on a O/T pick up , and that has lots of armor .

6. fordflambe

fordflambe

I purchased the straightener like found in Eastwood website, Jegs, etc. It has a flange on the bottom that allows you to chuck up in a vise while in use.
    upload_2017-5-21_11-34-32.jpeg

Yep, they are spensive-$$$$$ (i think around $200) but they are easy to use and they do work well............

My local group of car guys (20 or more) share purchase and use of these spensive tools so it makes it well worth the investment (because we all share "hard to justify cost" tools between us).

Work with your "buds" on a "tool sharing" program and you will benefit in many ways!

P. S. ........we also practice "you break it, you fix or replace it"...........

7. Thanks to all who responded to my request for a recommended tube straightener. I only have one car to re-plumb so I'll start by talking to the one person I know who may have a clue about this topic. He has a muffler shop and is a hot rod guy who owns his own car and does work for others. I'll next try Stimpy's method then the Delrin plastic idea. Not sure what Delrin is but I'll learn as I go. I may come back with a request for a description or photo of the device made from the Delrin. Thanks again.

8. Never2low

Never2low

Delrin is simply a different grade of plastic. A bit like ABS.
    If you have a Tap Plastics near you, they may have some, if not there are several online suppliers who carry it.
    The nice thing about making your own, is you can drill as many different sized holes as you need.
    A lot of guys will do brake, fuel, and trans cooler lines, all different size OD's, and you would have to buy several of the "single size" straighteners, to accomplish that.

9. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

How about a picture of this Delrin and details on how big-thick it should be.

A demonstration of how (well) it works would also be nice.

10. Never2low

Never2low

I'm just going off of Gimpy's post in the other thread.
    I machine Delrin at work, so I'm familiar with it.
    I would think a 4x4x4 cube should be big enough. Just drill holes through, and feed the tube through.
    The Delrin is hard enough not to deform, but soft enough to give a little, and not mar the tube.

11. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Any old hard plastic will do. Corian cutting board, or counter top scrap will also do the trick.

The "device" is a 2" x 2" x 5" block, with five holes drilled in it (think of how a 5 looks on a 6-sided die for gaming), the long way. 3/16", 1/4", 5/16", 3/8", and 1/2".

Just put it in a vise, and pass the tubing through. It goes in curved, and comes out straight.

I am blessed to have numerous TAP Plastics locations near me. I make mock-up brackets, adapters, etc. out of King Starboard. It machines and taps nicely, and if found as drop/scrap, can be downright cheap.

Never2low likes this.
  12. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ain't much to it.
    IMG_20170521_212631.jpg
    $2

Last edited: May 22, 2017
  13. RMONTY

RMONTY

Or if you don't mind a poor mans straightener, use a chunk o' 2x4. Drill necessary hole size through longwise. A couple HAMB guys use those I think from reading other threads.

crminal likes this.
  14. stimpy

stimpy

the nice thing about derlin vs wood is the derlin is self lubricating the wood the resins in it will heat up and cause it to stick , you could wax it to make it slide easier , Gimpy did you have to chamfer the inlet side to make it guide easier ?? ..

15. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes. The other side is chamfered.

16. TBonez

TBonez

thanx everyone for the responses, got all the info I need to move forward plus the input on the straightener. Never crossed my mind this needed to be done, then again everything on this, my first full build, has been a learning experience. Got a TAP Plastics 10 min away. Coil should show up next week looking forward to tackling the trans lines.