Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Gasser Carb question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wheels777, May 22, 2017.

1. wheels777

wheels777
    from York, PA

Did anyone run Quadrajets on a SBC tunnel ram in the day?

2. southcross2631

southcross2631

A few tried them ,but never really worked out for them. In theory they should work fine.
    Just takes some serious knowledge of Qjets.

mad mikey likes this.
  3. If it is a carb and it mixes fuel and air someone ran it. About one of everything down draft has been run on a Tunnel ram and I have even seen some wit adapters to run side draft carbs,

mad mikey likes this.
  4. wheels777

wheels777
    from York, PA

I've discussed this with 3 people who said they were used on Gassers. I don't know if all 3 saw the same guy, or if they saw multiple guys with Q-jet in Gassers. I wasn't there - been racing and wrenching since the mid-70s - and can only count on the 'hand-me-down' knowledge of those who were involved with Gassers of the 60s.

5. I've seen Pontiac dual Qjet manifolds . They were 180 deg. type, not tunnel rams though.
    As Pnb said, somebody probably tried it. Both were around in the mid sixties.
    The fuel inlets, even on the Chevy models , would cause fitment problems on a SBC, I believe.
    Also the difference in venturi sizes would cause problems, no matter which direction you mounted them in.

6. wheels777

wheels777
    from York, PA

Interesting.
    I find a lot of love'em-hate'em info. But, nothing connecting them to 60's racing application.
    Did find that they were introduce on the 1965 396. That was kind of cool.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  7. Larry T

Larry T

I'm guessing most of the serious gassers that ran tunnel rams in the late 60s/70s, ran center squirter Holleys. They were the hot set up.
    But like everyone says, anything that can be bolted on was tried by someone.

BTW, I've seen a lot of fast cars (Super Stockers) running Quadrajets . You can make them run great. Just different rules for different classes.

Last edited: May 22, 2017
    mad mikey likes this.
  8. The original Q-jets used a secondary fluid damper design, that didn't survive for long.
    Then the leaking fuel wells didn't help the Q-jet's popularity.
    Not long after, the aftermarket DP Holley was introduced. Away went many Q-jets.
    Gas mileage was another issue, that nobody seemed to worry about back then.
    Most of the Q-jet development then spun off to the guys who had to use them in NHRA Stock classes.

mad mikey likes this.
  9. wheels777

wheels777
    from York, PA

I am a Holley guy. And I certainly don't want to discount anything my friends are claiming. They are Q-jet lovers and we are all Gasser fans. Being a group effort, I do want to respect there statements that they were used in the day. I am "the youngster", so of course I "wouldn't know". Respectful qualifying tip toeing comment entered here.

10. squirrel

squirrel

Ask for pictures.... :)

11. Not familiar with this terminology. Are you referring to the spring loaded secondary air valve? If so, I think those were used on all Qjets thru the end of production.

12. Yes ,they were, at the end, but not in the beginning.
    Actually there was a load spring there , but not a vacuum break.

1965 Chevy 396 carb:

s-l300.jpg

Last edited: May 22, 2017
    mad mikey likes this.
  13. squirrel

squirrel

they had an internal dash pot on the early ones...

[​IMG]

lothiandon1940 and mad mikey like this.
  14. Like to see them too, and not being facetious here:)

15. wheels777

wheels777
    from York, PA

Hello Jim. Haven't seen you since Tulsa in '14.
    Pics....I was going there at some point.

lothiandon1940 and squirrel like this.
  16. wheels777

wheels777
    from York, PA

Agreed. Wouldn't be the first time to be played. But (3) 60-70'ers are adamant. My argument has been that all 3 saw one car multiple times. Stated in the nicest way, of course.

17. oj

oj

QJets have an odd bolt pattern that are bigger than the top.

18. squirrel

squirrel

The Qjet bolt pattern is the same as the Rochester 4 jet, and also the same as the inner holes on an AFB....

mad mikey likes this.
  19. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

For the original question and its place on the HAMB...Qjet came along in '65, HAMB is '64 and back...so answer has to be NO. I think in '64 carburetor news was very different. Old style multi-Stromberg setups with from 2 to 8 carbs for overhead engines were very rapidly dying out, and various models of the Carter AFB were rapidly taking over as the carb pushed by speed shops and magazines. The Holley 4150/60 types existed but had not caught on in the aftermarket yet.
    I have an Offy catalog showing dedicated Qjet manifolds, including some dual Q jet ones that I NEVER saw out in the world. I think Offenhauser assumed that a new Chevy carb would have to be popular, but the rodding public didn't catch on, the magazines gave it little coverage, and no one marketed it for anything except OEM replacement.

20. slowmotion

slowmotion

Not to pick nits, especially with someone who's opinion, knowledge, and input to this forum I highly respect, but it is in fact '65 and older, Bruce.
    From the rulebook:
    If you've come here to discuss anything other than Hot Rods or Customs built in a style representative of 1965 or before, you've come to the wrong forum.

tidwell_blake and saltflats like this.
  21. squirrel

squirrel

....which leaves out tunnel rams....right?

22. Jim, I was going to bring that up, but then someone would mention Ralph Ridgeway and Carroll Caudles' early efforts with the Corvette FI plenums, or the 421 SD bathtub intakes, or the High and Mighty Ramchargers' car.
    I suppose they could make a case that wouldn't get thrown out of court.

mad mikey likes this.
  23. squirrel

squirrel

If you are gonna make your own tunnel ram, you can put whatever damn carb on it that you want

CornfieldPerformance likes this.
  24. There ya go !
    Had a thought, which could be dangerous. SBC cross rams were out by 1965. Qjets oughta fit there , so there ya go.
    HAMB approved .

25. wheels777

wheels777
    from York, PA

When did tunnel rams come into existance/readily available/manufactured? I have an Edelbrock and a Weiand.

26. southcross2631

southcross2631

I ran dual afb's on my ridgeway tunnel ram . It was a 57 Nomad with 339 that ran C/MP in the 60's.
    I didn't go to holley's because my afb's that I got off a 409 Impala out of the junkyard in Miami worked too good to change. They had been worked over by before I got them . The car had been totaled in a street race.
    A friend tried dual Qjets on his 348 powered 59 Biscayne. On an inline dual quad manifold. It worked really well after he got the transition right from the primaries to the secondaries. When he first tried it there was a huge bog, but he worked with the secondary flaps to slow down the opening and that did the trick.

mad mikey likes this.
  27. squirrel

squirrel

going from lousy memory, around 1968

28. Gerrys

Gerrys

29. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

^^^^ Might be enough carb.............

30. squirrel

squirrel

probably runs pretty good, the secondaries never open...