Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical What's the story on using CLR

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Sep 8, 2015.

1. Used it on my 150. It took the rust stains away. Used it with. Green scotchbrite. Cleaned the whole car very well.

2. xhotrodder

xhotrodder

Corky Coker once said on a TV Show at his yearly Cruise that to bring out the original patina and original paint the best thing to use is linseed oil. Said he swears by it.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  3. Boiled linseed oil. Ask Ryan how to dispose of your rages properly !!!

phelan9251 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  4. shadams

shadams

For sure. Used it on the back bumper of my 85 k20 and it worked great. Of course, steel wool by itself works good too.

I actually went over my truck with boiled linseed oil after getting all the rust off. Figgerd that'd be easier to get off down the road rather than clearcoat. I dont see how that would have helped first or be better than CLR. Two years later that has all but washed off. I dont think I will do it again, it was a lot of work to get it even looking and if you put too much it is super sticky for a long time.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  5. indyjps

indyjps

Ive used danish wood, furniture oil instead of linseed, just because i already owned a jug of it. Works pretty well, has a matte finish, dries pretty quick. i prefer johnsons paste wax though.

CLR is worth a try, $20 by the time you buy scotchbrite, and some time, see if you like the results. Nothing else itll knock down most of the rust if you decide to strip the part later.

Might try spray bottle and plastic sheet to give it time to work, before scrubbing.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  6. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

IMG_1316.JPG I wonder what it would do to this..... I would like to paint.....rust is out, paint is in imho.

HOTRODPRIMER and Budweiser like this.
  7. It'll clean your concrete driveway real good, while you're at it.

HOTRODPRIMER and shadams like this.
  8. Drylake

Drylake

As a kid in Australia I used to wipe my cricket bat with boiled linseed oil and put the rags in the bin afterwards. Hot days in summer of 47+ degrees Celsius and the rag self combusted, nearly burnt our house down! Burnt our garage out! Just a heads up!

Last edited: Apr 6, 2020
    phelan9251, ffr1222k and HOTRODPRIMER like this.