Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects SOUTHEAST GASSERS "BRAND X" BUILD

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by HEMIBERT, Oct 12, 2015.

1. Believe me, I would have built that way if Quain would let me! I have several pictures of that car and really like it.

loudbang likes this.
  2. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

Have him start an FX or XS or whatever other classes those cars ran, then you can stretch the nose and move the rear wheels ahead!

loudbang likes this.
  3. He has already said that if he could have a few awb cars, he could run them as an exhibition class. At the time I couldn't build one just for that. The first thing he said when I asked about building a Barracuda was NO AWB!

II FUNNY and loudbang like this.
  4. I tried, but you can only break so many 50 year old parts. New Hightower on the way!

5. It's amazing what a proper transmission will do. First weekend on the new Hightower transmission dropped the e/t a solid 4/10. Being able to run with the confidence that the gear will be there when you need it and not wadded up in a ball in the case. Now so close to running the number and being competitive. Special thanks to all those who came by to see us at Union. Makes us feel good.

6. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

4/10 is pretty good! What are the biggest differences between an A833 and Hightower trans?

Last edited: May 21, 2017
  7. The A-833 is 50 year old technology. I broke 4 in the last year, 2 with Liberty guts. The tires, clutches, traction and power are better now. As far as I know, no one makes aftermarket gears for an A-833. It's not all the Hightower, but it allows me to use what I already have in the power and traction departments with the confidence of good clean shifts.

Dog_Patch, delray57, Zak Hall and 3 others like this.
  8. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

I think the key to the better performance is the confidence Robert now has. I watched every pass and I could see a big difference starting in the water box and that has nothing to do with what transmission is in the car. Having the right parts and being sure that it's going to stay together lets the driver do his job. I had a big smile on my face from the first run he made because I knew it was going to be a good day for him. C/Gas better look out Robert Frazier is coming on strong..

Dog_Patch, powrshftr, Hombre and 7 others like this.
  9. flamin-408

flamin-408

I have to agree with Quain I have been talking with Robert all year helping him along. Was so glad to finally see a smile on his face after all he has done with the car. A huge fan of his and always willing to lend a helping hand.

10. sonic03bluegt

sonic03bluegt
    from sc

I too, was so glad to see the huge smile on Roberts face in the staging lanes. I asked him how the new transmission was working, and he seemed very satisfied with the improvement the car had made. C gas has a new player!

11. And I appreciate your help too. I study on every word you say. Any other group would just let me go. Thanks more than you realize.

Dog_Patch, powrshftr, Hombre and 3 others like this.
  12. Like I said, no other series has such helpful racers. Now I can come out and play!

13. catdad49

catdad49

Robert, I enjoyed seeing you make some great passes at SIM and was wondering what secret you had found. Now I know!! That was my second SEG race and I definitely noticed a difference in your runs. Taylor (my son in law/travelling partner) got video at Shadyside to share with his Dad who has two nice Barracudas and he was definitely impressed. Keep making those baby steps and keep smiling. It's all Good!! Carp

Last edited: May 23, 2017
    Dog_Patch and loudbang like this.
  14. Thanks, a little bit of confidence can go a long way. The SEG has 2 REAL Mopars with something to prove.

15. GTX

GTX

I came to the Montgomery Gasser show,but missed seeing you run. You were on the trailer. The photo is my cat at Atmore,early 80's. Sold it in '85...but found it last week...If anyone is looking for one,let me know. No motor,but still has Lakewood scattershield,my old S/S wheels,and Casler fenderwell headers for SBM

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 and Dog_Patch like this.
  16. Nice car. People that want to try a MOPAR are few and far between, but I'll ask around.
    Montgomery was the last straw. Clutch Fri night and another transmission Sat morning. Changed over to Hightower transmission and haven't looked back. Times have come down 5/10's. Feels good not to be the floating bye run!

Hang'emHigh, catdad49 and loudbang like this.
  17. What is the front and rear suspension and price? I know a guy looking to get started and I'll tell him. Any trades possible?
    PM me if you would like.

loudbang likes this.
  18. Finally. Maybe I'm done being everyone's the floating bye run! Had a great day at Knoxville. Things are really coming together. Qualified #5 out of 24. Turned up light on the scales on first pass, so had to nail it on the last shot. Won first round, but lost the next by .079 to the "One Gone Dog". Very good close race. I beat him at Union, so we're even this year. Car is running and shifting steady enough to pay attention to things the engine and suspension want. Dial things in, go to Lyons and prove this thing is real.

19. sonic03bluegt

sonic03bluegt
    from sc

I'm so glad to see your car coming along this year! See you in Indiana

loudbang and Quain Stott like this.
  20. Thanks for all your help.
    See ya!

21. Also met some followers of this thread at Knoxville. Good to see all of you. Made some new friends from Ireland and England. SEG is a world wide deal for the old school, hard core fans! Great people. I appreciate you all.

22. I've read through most of this thread, and I really want to make a trip east to see the SEG run. I've talked to some other motorheads in the parts business, like me, that live in the SEG area, and have been a bad influence to them like reading great stuff like this is to me.
    I wish my budget had the ability to buy a half set of pistons, or many of the other guts needed to accomplish this.
    Best of luck to all involved as I enjoy from the sidelines. Gene's car is where the hook caught me!
    I'm hooked on all of them now! Thank you! Thank you to Quain too!

23. catdad49

catdad49

Patrick, it took me until this year to get to a SEG race. Made two back to back
    . Was it worth it? YESSIREE! The racing's great and so are the racers, just a great experience. Do yourself a favor and make a race, it's not a bad thing being a Fan of this group, Carp

24. suchadrag

suchadrag

Congrats on the Hemmings Muscle Machines feature. The Cuda is one handsome racecar.

25. Yeah congrats! Just got my issue. Well deserved!

26. Thank You all very much!

27. southcross2631

southcross2631

Looking forward to see you play spoiler this weekend.

mad mikey, loudbang and Floater03 like this.
  28. I'm hoping so. Still can be in the top ten in points with a little luck.

29. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Is there a payout or just bragging wrights?

mad mikey and loudbang like this.
  30. A little of both. For me, just bragging rights. Not at all about money!

mad mikey, catdad49, Zak Hall and 3 others like this.