Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Steel in Motion ~ 2017

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, May 21, 2017.

Tags:
  1. We left the house at 6 AM Saturday morning en-route to Union,South Carolina to attend what I jokingly refer to as "Woodstock for Hot Rodders" and after a couple of hours we arrived and as always it was already packed.

Steel in Motion (31).JPG

The sky was overcast and we had gone through a brief rain and then a light misty fog.

I was invited to park with Allen Mason when we arrived but by the time I navigated back to his spot it was blocked,the Sock Fokkers & the Assorted Nuts extended a invitation but by the time we arrived they were packed so I ended up seeing one of my Deuce Run pals roadster and parked beside it.

I ran into Tom (Seadog) & Richard the owner of the roadster,and a couple of my fellow Tri-City Rod & Custom members and was told they were refused admittance because the tires on his T-bucket were too wide.

About this time the sun broke though and it started getting hot,Hotter than a four balled tom cat, and we decided to move down the track and find a place to put up our canopy and that's when we saw my friend Barry (ratrodO) and he had brought his Scotty camper and had a big canopy and offered us his encampment as shady oasis.

While enjoying the shade with Barry I had a bunch of guys introduce themselves to me and everyone of them were great guys.

I didn't take too many photo's and the few that I took are my customary point and shoot,Brenda took a few of the campers.. HRP

Steel in Motion (29).JPG

Steel in Motion (30).JPG Steel in Motion (27).JPG

Steel in Motion (28).JPG

Steel in Motion (26).JPG

Steel in Motion (18).JPG

Steel in Motion (25).JPG

Steel in Motion (17).JPG

Steel in Motion (19).JPG

Steel in Motion (23).JPG

Steel in Motion (22).JPG

Last edited: May 22, 2017
  2. A few more. HRP

Steel in Motion (20).JPG
    Steel in Motion (21).JPG
    Steel in Motion (24).JPG
    Steel in Motion (2).JPG

Last edited: May 21, 2017
  3. If vintage campers don't appeal you can skip this post,Brenda took these...as I remember,this one belongs to Geargoyle Curtis Steel in Motion (15).JPG

Steel in Motion (16).JPG

This one is Cassandra's new camper.

Steel in Motion (8).JPG

Steel in Motion (4).JPG
    Steel in Motion (14).JPG

Steel in Motion (12).JPG Steel in Motion (11).JPG

Steel in Motion (9).JPG

Steel in Motion (10).JPG

4. GASSERBOB

GASSERBOB
    from USA

Thank you for posting your pictures. Bob.........

5. Those little campers are very cool! Thanks for posting them; have any more?

6. No Bill,that's it,I spent most of the day socializing and watching some of the racing and left the camera in the car. HRP

7. "and was told they were refused admittance because the tires on his T-bucket were to wide"

Really?

WillyKJr likes this.
  8. Yes sir. HRP

9. ratrod0

ratrod0

This is where I Hung out at the show 20170519_211243.jpg

Last edited: May 21, 2017
  10. Don't know why I didn't take a photo of Barry's camper ,I guess I was enjoying the shade and good company. HRP

11. That's exactly why I didn't drive down....I've had my wires ordered since January and they didn't arrive so I also thought I'd be refused since the ties just weren't made during the period stipulated on the SIM website....

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  12. Zeke 32

Zeke 32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Boston,Ma.

Dig'gin the hammered '34 5 winder'.....ohh man.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  13. Your right about the heat Danny. Either I'm getting older and soft or this year was rougher than the past. Great pictures!

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  14. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  15. Thank you,we can't control the weather but while it was overcast early in the day it was nice,a water truck would be nice to keep the dust down on the return road.

My old mordor looks like I just pulled it out of a barn after setting for 30 years. :DHRP

16. pumpman

pumpman

Thanks for the pics HRP, sounds like a good time. As for weather Saturday it was 42° rain up here. Actually built a fire to warm the old bones.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  17. Buncha good lookin cars and some good racin. Boy was it hotter than hell saturday though!

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  18. Rex_A_Lott

Rex_A_Lott

Thanks for posting all the pics. :).

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  19. I never saw you,were you there? HRP

20. Rex_A_Lott

Rex_A_Lott

"Nope:(....maybe next year. " Starting to sound like what I say every fall after I dont make it to Hershey...and the Shades. Looks like I missed a doozy.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  21. Thanks for the images. Was there Friday and was not disappointed. Great show and drag race. Not to be missed if possible. Thanks to all for the effort in making SIM a true happening.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Dog_Patch and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  22. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Yes, yes. The weather. Hot here this weekend, Eagle Field was sizzlin'.
    Hot today, too... Who said algore was tuna?

Dog_Patch and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  23. You bet! HRP

24. Fordnut40

Fordnut40

IMG_2611.JPG IMG_2610.JPG IMG_2609.JPG IMG_2608.JPG IMG_2607.JPG IMG_2606.JPG IMG_2605.JPG IMG_2604.JPG IMG_2603.JPG IMG_2602.JPG IMG_2601.JPG IMG_2600.JPG IMG_2599.JPG IMG_2598.JPG IMG_2597.JPG IMG_2610.JPG

Last edited: May 23, 2017
  25. Mike,Barry told me you wagon won the beater award,congratulations.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

catdad49 and putz like this.
  26. Fordnut40

Fordnut40

Thanks. We were eating supper at Van's camper when Barry walked up behind me with this killer trophy. I was, & still am, speechless. Talk about being in "shock & awe". I haven't figured out how Barry was able to transport it back on his bike (it's pretty heavy & the teeth on the flex plate can bite you). It was great meeting you & visiting under the awning. Give some consideration to opening up your Smokie Mtn. event to included us '34 guys. Good luck with your '32 Fordor hiboy. It's a cool ride.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  27. Today,one week later I had a chance to clean up the car and since I had the windows down at the show and parked on the return dirt road the car got covered with dust,inside and out,I actually used a leaf blower to get all the dust out of the car and it worked like a champ.

It almost looked like I was sand blasting!:D HRP

catdad49 likes this.
  28. Fedcospeed

Fedcospeed

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  29. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Yeah Danny, a water truck would have been a welcome sight:confused:

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  30. I think i remember being there........as always SIM is a blast.

Hog Jowels, are really good
    Edit.....Hog Jowl's..........yum

Last edited: May 27, 2017
    HOTRODPRIMER likes this.