Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Temperature sensor location for fan

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1great40, May 21, 2017.

1. 1great40

1great40
    from Walpole MA

Hi All,

I have a puller fan on my 40 PU and right now the sensor for it is in a tapping in the lower radiator tank (where the pet cock used to be). I'm guessing that's the "coolest" point in the whole system and I was wondering if it is a good location because the fan doesn't come on until the coolest part of the system gets hot. I'm wondering if I shouldn't be reading that temperature high up on the block or heads. The sensor for the gauge is in the side of the passenger head. The only other places I see to install it would be the same tapping on the drivers side head or the place on the water pump that has a plug in it where some vehicles have a heater hose attached. I don't have a water pump in front of me but it looks like that might essentially be the "same" point as the lower tank, just different ends of the hose. Any suggestions? The reason for asking this is the temperature gets to about 210 to 220 on the gauge before the fan comes on. I think the sensor is set for 195. degrees.

2. thewildturkey46

thewildturkey46
    from Rice, MN

I use the passenger side intake port.

3. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

I put mine in the bung that the drain spout was in (eliminated the drain spout). Been that way for 27 years,.....no problems.

4. As near to the thermostat as you can.

5. stimpy

stimpy

in the return side tank or hose should work best this way you know that the water leaving the radiator is lower than the tuen on and off temp of the fan , I wouldn not put in in the waterpump as the ports on them are shallow and only made for pipe thread , and the sender might hit the impeller if you do not see the location of them when you install them , they make a lower radiator port connector for senders but they are around 15-50 bucks . https://www.google.com/search?q=low...e=UTF-8#q=mechanical+water+temp+gauge+adapter

6. I just use an adjustable module and set it where the fan kicks on at 180 on my gauge . Doesn't really matter what the sensor sees, that way. Plus I put a toggle on the over ride. Derale ? Summit.

loudbang likes this.