Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Where to find for Acrylic Lacquer Hi-gloss thinner

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Andy Carlson, May 20, 2017.

1. Andy Carlson

Andy Carlson

I am in need of purchasing one gallon of High-Gloss Acrylic Lacquer Reducer (Thinner). As I live in California I have discovered it isn't as simple as going to my local Paint and Auto Body supply store. I would prefer PPG DTL 105 Slow Lacquer Thinner. My local PPG paint store says he not only doesn't have any, he can't order any either. Grow Automotive was suggested to me as a source of high quality thinner. I asked a Glow person who would carry their #1502 Slow Thinner in Southern California to which his reply that any paint store can order it for me. My local paint store says it can't be shipped to Southern California thus he can't get any.

I will be traveling to Arizona next week to the Phoenix area. Do anyone reading this post know of a store in Phoenix where I can get one of these 2 brands, or a high-quality equivalent? I appreciate any suggestions--short of recommending switching to water-borne paint. Thanks,
    -Andy Carlson Ojai CA

2. rustythumb

rustythumb

order from restoration supply in san diego

'49 Ford Coupe likes this.
  3. rustythumb

rustythumb

and have it shipped to arizona.

4. Andy Carlson

Andy Carlson

I went to thei web site and discovered that their 68 page catalog has only one Lacquer product--a rattle can clear lacquer finish.

I guess this is going to be more difficult than I already feared.
    -Andy

5. G. Anderson

G. Anderson
    from MN.usa

Home Depot...
    In the house paint section.
    All kinds of stuff, acetone, denatured alcohol.
    ....LACQUER THINNER...

roundvalley likes this.
  6. Andy Carlson

Andy Carlson

GEE! Why didn't I think of that???????

There is a HUGE difference in hardware store lacquer thinner and auto body lacquer slow, Hi-gloss lacquer thinner.
    -Andy

7. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My local PPG guys can't get 105 any more, told it was discontinued. DTL 876 was the slowest I could get last year. It was actually fine but it was Feb not July. Don't smack too hard on the Home Repo/bLowes suggestions. "Hardware" lacquer thinners are much slower than routine cleaning solvents like DTL 16 All Purpose or my suppliers reclaim cleaning solvents. Slow enough? Can't remember, that was several hundred gallons ago.

8. Young Sales, Phone: (602) 246 4111
    4524 N 19 Ave
    Phoenix AZ 85015-4117

I get all of my single stage stuff there. They always recognize my California license plate on my DD, so I guess a lot of guys visit them from CA! (I live in LA but my wife's family lives in Phx, so I'm usually happy to make the drive!)

I haven't bought Lacquer in many years so call them to confirm. They don't have lots of stock of slower moving paint/thinner, but they seem able to order small quantities of anything that's available. Good luck. Bruce

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.
  9. flatford39

flatford39

TCP Global carries it I think

10. rustythumb

rustythumb

sorry, i meant to say restoration shop/tcp global

11. rustythumb

rustythumb

a couple years ago, i was visiting relatives in another state,& ordered acrylic lacquer & thinner to be sent there,no problem. ppg is expensive, the store brand [restoration shop,] is much cheaper!

12. Andy Carlson

Andy Carlson

Thanks for Restoration supply/TPC Global's phone number, and also, Young Sales of Phoenix. I will call Monday morning. Appreciate the direction....
    -Andy Carlson Ojai CA

13. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

"Paint Guru" was working with making lacquer paints for us here on the HAMB. He can formulate whatever temp thinner you need, as well. Or supply a retarder for fine tuning any you buy. I'm sure he'd ship to AZ.

14. So far in NY I can get whatever I want. I have a PPG acrylic lacquer thinner that I use for actual paint work. Hardware store Klean Strip works pretty well for general use.