Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 37 Chevy headlights, I think I need some.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 31Vicky with a hemi, May 6, 2017.

1. But I'm not sure of their exact size?
    Or what the mounting mechanism looks like.

2. [​IMG]
    Here is a slightly modified truck bucket I enlarged the slit a bit and replaced the bolt with a larger one so I could feed the wires through it. I ended up not using them though.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. My bad,
    Thinking about CAR headlight buckets at the moment.

4. Leakie

Leakie

The housing is 12 inches long, aprox 7.5 round in the front. The headlight buckets fits into the stand, the stand has 3 bolts that hold it to the grille shell, the headlight bucket has 1 stud that mounts thru the stand and then grille shell. Let me know if you need anything else. Mine have been modified for sealed beams. image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

5. oneratfink57

oneratfink57
    from Wisconsin

I might have a spare set of car buckets for you. Out of the country now but I can check when I get back

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

31Vicky with a hemi likes this.
  6. Really really close to the the golden ratio. I had that feeling.

Are the stands steel ?

7. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

Leakie,

I'd like to see how you modified those. A standard seal beam doesn't want to fit the bucket and trim ring. I con't mind cutting and fabbing but I don't want to cobble it up.

Thanx,

Bruce

8. ...I've got the headlite stands if you don't have any,...I used an old sealbeam adapter kit to install my sealbeams, didn't have to cut anything,...but I spose some kits mite be different...

9. bubba55

bubba55

Me thinks the stands are pot metal - prone to stress cracks

10. Phil1934

Phil1934

Stands available in fiberglass from Chevs of the 40's who also have sealed beam adapters.

11. Leakie

Leakie

31vicky, bubba55 is right , the stands are pot metal.

Gearheads, like Rusty1 I also used an old aftermarket conversion kit I got off of Fleabay. The kit consists of a bucket, trim ring, and the outer trim ring. No cutting required just had to drill three holes to hold the bucket to the housing. The headlight sits in the bucket held in by the trim ring that screws to the bucket then the outer trim rings cover up everything. Let me know if you still want pics and I will pull it apart this afternoon to take some for you.

I have heard that you can use 67-72 Chevy pickup headlight buckets to do this but I have not seen it done so don't quote me on it.

12. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Those are totally different than mine, which, I thought, are '37 Chevy. I clocked the reflector 90 degrees to get the bulb and Chcrvolet script on the lens oriented at the top, rather than sideways. The buckets on mine are flat at the mounting areas, with a recess to fit the riser, which I don't have. I used the little chromed mount that came with the King Bee's that were with my car. I'll measure 'em and take aphid later.[ Edit: A PHOTO, not an aphid. I don't know how that happened... ATTACH=full]3526930[/ATTACH]

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 7, 2017
  13. Does anyone make steel buckets?
    Or
    Am I going to be hunting down originals if I want steel?

14. ...don't think any steel ones repo'd,...yup the orig. stands are pot metal, mine are very good if you need some...
    37 lite stands 002.jpg 37 lite stands 004.jpg

15. Leakie

Leakie

No steel repos's that I know of only fiberglass. Originals are hard to come by and are prone to rust from water sitting in them (they are buckets).
    The photos are one of mine that I had to replace the whole side. I had a bucket from a Chrysler product that was close enough to be able to shape it to fit the side of the Chevy bucket and then used some flat stock to form the rest of it.. UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_9d6.jpg
    UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_9da.jpg

16. Leakie

Leakie

Brian, are those truck buckets? The truck buckets are smaller than the cars. Can't tell from the pic would need to see it from the side.

17. What does the bucket look like where the stand mates up with it?
    Is Bucket Indented to female for male stand type joint?

18. Leakie

Leakie

Could not find a photo from the outside but you can see the indentation from the inside of this one. UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_9db.jpg

19. I am going from memory, and it was about 10 years ago, so......

I had a 37 Chevy truck.. The headlights mount similar to the cars, with that potmetal stand. Truck buckets are much shorter, about the same length as they are round. Sorry no pics better than this, but you can see that potmetal stand a little:

[​IMG]

Leakie likes this.
  20. Leakie

Leakie

Nice truck 38!

21. 37-8 Chevy truck headlite stands look like this...shorter to fit the buckets...
    37-8 truck stands 001.jpg 37-8 truck stands 002.jpg

22. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Yeah, mine must be truck headlights. The body is shorter (see the photo in my avatar), and the indentation for the stand is MUCH shorter. I don't have the stands. The lens is cool, "Chevrolet" in a cool font, and the reflectors have nice silvering. I'm going to use halogen bulbs in 'em, and put an amber 1157 in place of the single element park light bulb for turn signals. I like 'em.

23. 37gas

37gas

I have some buckets that will work send me a pm or phone number .

24. 31 vicky,...sent you a PM