Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Offbeat question ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oldblu65, May 17, 2017.

1. oldblu65

oldblu65
    from Tennessee

I recently went through some of my late father's tools and found a tool that stumps me as to it's purpose . My father was life-long electrician but was also skilled in woodwork and metal work . This tool is obviously old and may have been his fathers ? Not sure about it ? I am attaching several pics for you to see and see if anyone can identify it's use or origin ? There are three threaded holes in the center of the wrench marked as 5/16 , 3/8 , and 1/2 . There marking across from these but I can't make out what is written there . On one end of the wrench is written " Crocodile " with " Hawkeye wrench " down below it . On the other end is written " Made in the USA " with " Marshalltown " below it . The wrench is about 8 1/2 " long and it has an unusual shape . Also included with the pics is a pic of his old ruler which is a type seldom seen today . any help will be appreciated ! wrench 1.jpg wrench3.jpg wrench 1.jpg wrench3.jpg wrench4.jpg wrench5.jpg wrench7.jpg

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. It looks like the type of wrench you would use to tighten wire nuts and also bend it as necessary.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. squirrel

squirrel

google "crocodile wrench" you'll learn all about them.

Just an early, lousy, design for a wrench.

54vicky, bowie and oldolds like this.
  4. Also called an alligator wrench. Designed for square nuts & bolts. The 3 thread chasers in the center are handy tho......

54vicky likes this.

5. oldblu65

oldblu65
    from Tennessee

Thanks to all for the quick response . I did as suggested and the mystery was quickly solved . crocodile-wrench-classic.jpg

6. seldom seen? i have at least 5-6 of them and use them all the time. you can still buy them new. try one....i'm sure you will like it

Hnstray likes this.
  7. The37Kid

The37Kid

That folding rules should have a brass slide for dead on accurate inside measuring. Bob

8. squirrel

squirrel

yeah, it should. This one is only a foot long, but it has the slide. Very well made, too.

ruler.jpg