Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 31 Model A Victoria Build w/Pics – Miss Vicky

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by D-Russ, Jul 6, 2008.

1. The37Kid

The37Kid

Congratulations on the Rodders Journal feature and 75th issue cover shot, still one of my favorite HAMB builds. Bob

2. 39custom

39custom

Congratulations !!

loudbang and D-Russ like this.
  3. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

I read somewhere that Vickys were nothing but old man parade cars and not a hot rod, guess you fooled 'em lol. Good job! Definetely worthy of the cover.

lothiandon1940, loudbang and D-Russ like this.
  4. hotrodbrad

hotrodbrad

Any info on products used for polishing? Mad respect for doing it while on the car. I am sure there were some soar muscles

loudbang likes this.
  5. Congrats - well deserved. (And I really like those pics with the fenders, too. Looks fantastic with & without.)

loudbang and D-Russ like this.
  6. Well, I guess I'm an old man with a parade car then – Just need to get into a parade to make it official! ;) Someone once commented on this thread that the Victoria was designed and marketed for women! Not sure how I should have responded to that one.

Seriously though, you me and the 5 or so other guys building hot rod Model A Vickys are just not afraid to walk off the beaten path.

Sure! I ground down and smoothed the welds with a 60 or 80 grit flapper wheel on an angle grinder. Then I broke out the hand files. After that I used several progressively finer grits of emery cloth to get the surface uniform. Next I broke out the cotton buff wheels and my trusty drill, with black, red and white polishing compounds. And finally I used a wool buffing pad on my buffer with automotive paint polishing compound.

If I ever pull off the exhaust, I'll do a better job with the pipes off the car.

Thanks! I The fender and hood pictures are just PhotoShopped.

DBruce, loudbang and lothiandon1940 like this.
  7. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

well deserved cover !!!!!!!!!!!!!! Congrats

loudbang, D-Russ and lothiandon1940 like this.
  8. hasty

hasty

Congratulations - Looking forward to seeing the coverage. I have really enjoyed following your thread.

D-Russ likes this.
  9. GARY T.

GARY T.
    from S.W. Pa

That car was never a rat rod in my eyes

D-Russ likes this.
  10. I sincerely thank all of you for your kind words – it really means a lot to me. I'm just a hack doing the best I can. :)

Gotta get my hands on one of these banners from the LA Roadster Show this past weekend!

Screen Shot 2017-06-19 at 9.13.13 PM_zps2ccvfvs4.png

Last edited: Jul 12, 2017
  11. Ryan should be able to put one in your hands?

lothiandon1940 and D-Russ like this.
  12. A pretty darn good "hack" I'd say! :rolleyes::D

13. I heartily agree!

14. catdad49

catdad49

I can't think of anyone that deserves it more! How about a write-in campaign to the Rodders Journal?

15. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

16. So I took Miss Vicky to the drags last Friday night. Best ET was 14.08, top speed was 96.1 mph, and best reaction time was .093. I think with a better tree and cooler temperatures, I might break into the high 13s. Well, that or a pair of slicks. ;) Here are a couple of videos of the festivities:

Last edited: Feb 6, 2020
    Koz, Nailhead Jason, Martin_F and 6 others like this.
  17. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just received my issue #75, congrats on the well deserved COVERage !! Very cool !

Ron Funkhouser, D-Russ and loudbang like this.
  18. TRJ came yesterday. Great feature! Didn't know that you were a skilled wordsmith also!

19. oj

oj

I got my copy today, that is a huge article! Congratulations, thats like hitting the Grand Slam to winning the World Series!

20. I also received my copy of the Rodders Journal yesterday and was stoked to see your Vicky on the cover and a excellent write up,Congratulations my friend! :) HRP

21. catdad49

catdad49

Yesterday must have been The Rodders Journal delivery day, got mine too. It's a special one Dave, Miss Vicky sure looks Good!

22. OK HAMB folks (you too @Ryan) as you can see, I've been screwed by Photobucket. All my build pics are being held for ransom for $400 annually. I'm not going to pay that once, much less every year.

This thread along with all the linked threads on the first page had literally hundreds of detailed photos of everything I did to build my car over the last 10 plus years. To top it off, Miss Vicky is featured in the current issue of The Rodder's Journal and the article actually directs readers to this thread on the HAMB for more build info and specifics. Superb timing.

So this brings me to my question for you – is there still enough interest in this build thread for me to go to the painstaking task of locating and reposting a ton of images that my friends at Photobucket have kidnapped?

Please weigh in if you care – one way or the other.

loudbang and jnaki like this.
  23. That stinks - as long as you have copies you can repost pics of anything anyone has a question on ..... I would not remove the thread .....

Last edited: Jul 7, 2017
    lothiandon1940 and D-Russ like this.
  24. greaser

greaser

Sorry about that Dave. What a bummer!
    I, for one, would hate to see the pictures lost. This is one of my all time favorite threads, and believe the pictures to be a valuable resource for reference. Also, is very inspiring for the novice builder taking on a significant project. Do what you must, but please consider reloading the major construction pics at least.

Hansa1100, lothiandon1940 and D-Russ like this.
  25. I care, sucks balls that this is happening all over the net, but I for one looked forward to your updates when you were building your car and I think it would be sad to see all that good information gone. I feel for you though with the amount of work it will take to redo all the pictures. Oh and I got my RJ yesterday congrats on the article!

26. I've gotta figure out how to post photos through the HAMB without a third party hosting site.

loudbang likes this.
  27. jnaki

jnaki

Hey D-Russ,
    Nice video and magazine notoriety. On to the point at hand: Don't you have all of your photos/movies on your home computer? If the photos and movies are taking up a lot of computer space, then put them all on an external hard drive. 3tb ($100+ amazon) will take you a long time to fill up with only photos and movies. In an emergency, you can grab that little hard drive and run... nothing else, except for your family and dog, if you have one.

With all of the photos and movies that I take(family cars, soccer, ballet movies and photos,) the original 1TB hard drive filled up in three years. But, that also included personal files and other computer folders. If I had it only for photos, movies, I would still be using that 1TB hard drive.

I like the idea that I have instant access for all of my photos. My son goes one further and has all photos sent to the cloud account, but again, he pays monthly and is at the whim of the company, like you and Photobucket.

Jnaki
    Recently, there was a fire creeping up a hill behind our house. We could see the flames that the fire department was starting as a back fire... We had our evacuation hard drives ready in a bag and a change of clothes. Everything else is expendable on an emergency. All photos, scrapbooks, important family stuff is all on the EXTERNAL hard drives as a back up bi weekly. We (wife, granddaughter, dog and two cars) were ready for the evacuation that never came.

28. Yes, I still have ALL the build photos and probably 3x more. I originally only posted the ones I thought best illustrated a point or helped explain something. So I have a ton of images to go through and repost. I'm happy to do it if folks find it useful. Good call on the external HD. And I've already downloaded my entire photo library from Photobucket.

29. That really blows Dave. I would try and get the photos back up here if you can. I constantly look to the HAMB for reference on things and when the pics aren't there it doesn't help a whole lot. Luckily for me I can just ask you or look at Miss Vicki in person if I have a question.
    Also, you better get some slicks Dave, I just ordered a new cam and some other goodies for the roadster for the next track night. I plan on lining up with you first!

30. x2 on the external drive. Photobucket sucked long before they became greedy. Good luck.

loudbang and lothiandon1940 like this.