Register now to get rid of these ads!

History slingshots

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by christmas tree, Apr 21, 2017.

1. christmas tree

christmas tree

I,m curious as to how many of you guys have ever drove a slingshot. Give some details, where, when,how fast or interesting stories af the good old days.

hendelec likes this.
  2. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Late 70's thru the early 80's, I had an old Kent Fuller, 120 inch wheelbase, FED. When the dragster was "new", the tires were hard rubber, and they smoked them all the way. 327+.030, 340 HP short block with a cam change, 461 X heads, holley 300-25 intake with a 750 CFM carburetor, single point distributor, Hookers adjustable upswept dragster headers. I built the engine myself, just farmed out the machine work. Built the shorty Powerglide myself with a 5 pack direct clutch hub, and a transbrake. Started out with a 5500 RPM stall converter, but dropped down to a 4500 RPM unit, and added some much needed wheelie bars. 57 Pont rear end that had corroded up disc brakes; they went in the garbage, and all new drum brakes went on. 29 inch tall M & H slicks, 10 inches wide. 9.23 @ 146 best. It actually was't built to go that fast; the guy I built the car to "challenge" was only going low 10's. Fun to drive, because you HAD to drive it; my latter RED was a really smooth ride, and went straight every run. First full on pass (license runs at Bremerton Raceway), I tossed the trans into neutral after I cleared the traps. I should have used the engine for braking; the 4-6 pounds of air in the slicks caused the rear end to start bouncing, and each time it came down, it bounced even more. If I'd braked, the tires would have locked up when in the air, and I'd come down that way; too risky. Bremerton Raceway, being an inactive runway, has a l-o-n-g shut down, so stopping really was't a concern, but getting some control over the bouncing was. I did't even think of pulling the chute; I had my hands full so-to-speak. Of ALL my drag cars, the FED was the most fun. I only ran it on block water, and the door car guys would always try to delay their staging/burnout trying to get me hot; that was the only drawback. Far too many projects as is, or I'd build another one for sure; I still have my fire suit/gloves/boots/helmet. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

hendelec, belair, Deuces and 6 others like this.
  3. Roger O'Dell

Roger O'Dell

I had a 200 inch front motet. built by Sherm gun, started with Alky ink small block, then inj angle milled head ls6 , then the inj rodeck.

hendelec and loudbang like this.
  4. christmas tree

christmas tree

I have had several, never real fast however they are a blast to drive.

5. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

I posted to this thread yesterday evening, and this morning in the paper is a death announcement of the guy who originally bought the chassis from Kent Fuller, "Gentleman Hank" Johnson. See my, "Another one passes on", thread from earlier today. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

hendelec, loudbang and Hudson31 like this.
  6. boo

boo
    from stuart,fl.

have a flathead d-ster, last run was 1983, was at a shomeet, has 4/97's , pumped too much air into tank and took a gas bath on run shut off early, was first time on a track, other times on road in front of my house, still have it, bought it in 1975, still looks good....

hendelec, loudbang and Jet96 like this.
  7. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Well, post a few photos if you have them! I have a very large file of photos of all my drag cars, but I have absolutely no idea how to post them. After I sold my Pro Bracket, 56 Chevrolet, that I kept in a storage complex in a single car sized garage, I moved the dragster in. After it got to the point of "almost" being done, I'd fire it up in the alleyway, and do a few short hops. The header noise would reverberate off the alley walls; these alleys were about an 1/8th of a mile long; BIG storage complex. That just pushed me to finish building the body panels, and then the dragster would be done. That little dragster was the most fun a guy could have, and still have his clothes on. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

hendelec, belair, 30dodgeboy and 2 others like this.
  8. rooman

rooman

Started driving a six cylinder car in the late 60's and last drove it in 1971. I did not drive again until 2010 when I teamed up with the late Dan Horan Sr following his March Meet crash in 2009. I built a new nostalgia top fuel car and made my first runs in May of 2010. Finalized my license runs at Good Guys Indy that year and missed making the show at Bowling Green the following weekend. I did qualify at the CHRR but lost to my mate Adam Sorokin in the first round. Ran a best of 6.200/222.09 on a check out pass that weekend. I also drove Art Dromgoole's Back Yard Guys car in 2012 and was runner up in top fuel at the NHRR at Bowling Green.

This is the first car that I drove--six cylinder English Ford Zephyr power--ran low 11's at around 120 mph.
    [​IMG]

2010 CHRR with the Horan/Burgan car.

[​IMG]
    2012 NHRR First round of NT/F against "Radar" Roger Letchenberg
    [​IMG]

Roo

9. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I drove a couple of different cars back in the mid-80's when nostalgia drag racing was getting going. The rules required a maximum wheelbase of 150", as we were representing what the cars looked like in the mid-60's, and most of the cars running were built by the masters of that era. The first one pictured is a Kent Fuller, with a blown alcohol 336" Chrysler. I learned to drive a slingshot in that one, making only 6 runs, my best was 7.95 @ 192.71. The second car was a Don Long, with a 421" Chrysler. My best in that one was 7.61 @ 193.54, these would have been typical times in the mid-60's. Video to follow. 2012-08-31 123144.jpg Untitled-1.jpg 2012-07-04 211947.jpg

powrshftr, hendelec, Deuces and 5 others like this.
  10. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Here is my 5th run in the Fuller Car.

11. das858

das858

My front engine dragster is 175"wheelbase, 8.75 mopar rearend, powerglide, sbc with hilborn injection. The most fun I've had in 40 years of dragracing ! 20150717_130706.jpg

powrshftr, hendelec, Deuces and 4 others like this.
  12. christmas tree

christmas tree

Raymond looks like a fun ride

13. spanglishkings

spanglishkings
    from Napa, CA

The blown Ardun in a Dragmaster was the most fun I have ever had racing. I run a modified roadster at Bonneville/El Mirage today, but from 1992-2005 my Dad and I campaigned the Dragmaster around the western states and had a ball together. The last time we ran it was at the CHRR in 2005. 4 runs, all in the 8.50s and 165mph+-. The final of those 4 runs I told him to let another crew member start me up and get me ready, and for Pops to go down to the lights and hear it go by - he had never heard any of his Arduns at top speed (he was always starting me up). I think it was one of his most satisfying moments as a racer that day. DougKing01_04-09-05.jpg
    In 1997 we had an opportunity to hold a best out of 3 grudge match with the Glass Slipper up in Redding, CA. We were unblown but with a load of fuel in it that day. The Slipper ran a fuelie SBC and a direct drive. I would leap out in front of him by 10+ car lengths, then hold on till the lights. Each time, somewhere right before the traps, I could feel him coming. He'd pass me like a freight train. We ran our lowest ET ever that day (8.37).

14. HarryT

HarryT
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey Christmas Tree. Check out the "conversation" about the guys that used to hang out at Paul Steven's shop.
    Jim

loudbang likes this.
  15. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

IMG_0057.JPG I used to "drive" this one when I was 6. I made the best car noises then. Does that count?

hendelec, Deuces and mad mikey like this.
  16. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

I see "Dust Devils" on the water drum. Must have been at Inyokern; damn shame the FAA shut that, and many other drag strips, down. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

hendelec, mad mikey and loudbang like this.
  17. spanglishkings

spanglishkings
    from Napa, CA

Yes, that was Inyokern in 2005. That pic made it into Hot Rod Magazine, which was pretty cool.
    Neat strip, but coming from the Bay Area I thought we'd never get there.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

mad mikey and loudbang like this.
  18. christmas tree

christmas tree

16833133_1710180359008340_1820179575_o.jpg This is one of my old cars. It has a 6 point cage added and other than that is early 60,s correct, 16833133_1710180359008340_1820179575_o.jpg not fast but a load of fun. When built it had a flat head Mercury in it. The 327 was added later.

19. Come on out to Eagle Field on the 20th and see this one in action..... 16684203_1244216492327065_1060826995846074477_n.jpg

20. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

was partnered in this car, tried it once, really too small for me to safely control it. Had to take the cowel off to get in and out, tech wasnt too thrilled press 010.jpg

21. Marty your vid always makes me giggle.;)

never drove a sling shot, just getting dressed and climbing in is way too much like work for me. Got a lot of respect for anyone who does it even if all they get done is into the staging lanes and try to launch.

22. thans0101

thans0101

23. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

[​IMG]

Here is my dragster 100" wb. 311" sbc 4-71 blower it's a stick shift a toploader 3-speed 8 3/4 Chrysler rear 4.30 gears ran a 10.86 @ 133 mph last weekend it's a blast to drive though it's a lot of work and you need a crew every time you run it but it's worth it not too many folks run gas and a stick shift in a digger but there wasn't any good automatics in 1958 lol

Chrome don't get ya home

hendelec, powrshftr, mrhp and 3 others like this.
  24. loudbang

loudbang

Don't forget you need a cute backup girl too. :rolleyes:

belair likes this.
  25. christmas tree

christmas tree

wrenchbender That is the way it was and that brings back many pleasant memories.

26. pontman

pontman

Thanks for the video Marty!!!

27. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

Well that's in the works lol we push start it with my buddy's 57 chevy wagon we do our best to try and recreate 1958

Chrome don't get ya home

28. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

Thanks man this is why my friends and I do this

Chrome don't get ya home

powrshftr, hendelec and loudbang like this.
  29. Rand Man

Rand Man

I have one. It's the biggest thrill ride ever, power, smoke, noise, often hard to handle. 17Aug2013073.jpg

30. DAVID KLUTTZ

DAVID KLUTTZ

Ran a door car for near 30 years --built this 200 in SBC Hilborn on alky and never looked back--most fun I have ever had in a car --runs 8.90 easy as pie pulling the chute is the best!

Attached Files:

powrshftr, hendelec and loudbang like this.