Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects I'm building a steam powered Model A

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wafflemaster, Mar 6, 2017.

1. Locomobiler

Locomobiler

"I think the gearing is about right, but I still need to figure out my maximum RPM and see what my top speed will be. I have 17 tooth sprockets on the crank, and 31 tooth (or 30) on the jack shaft. I'm thinking that at 150psi I could go up to 20 teeth up front, it seems to have the torque no problem."

Jim,

That is a 1.7:1 ratio. I'm running 2.5:1 16 and 40 tooth with 27" OD wheels. I can run 40 mph @ 200 - 250 psi, but it really needs second gear at that point as the engine doesn't sound like a piston engine anymore, sorta goes in to a high whine/turbine sound. That is the ratio the Locomobiles came from the factory with so that is where I will leave it. And too riding atop it at 40 mph with tiller steering and zero safety equipment is scary as hell, wouldn't want to go any faster. (attached a pic of it) Locomobile did build a racer that was 1:1 ratio and they could hit speeds of 70 mph, not much out the hole more than likely. Diverter valve engines don't breath very well - the intake passage is also the exhaust port, causing thermal issues. The reasons for the advantages with Uniflow designs with separate intake and exhaust routing. I would leave your gearing just as it is and try it. I think when you start making enough steam, you should get 50-70 mph without too much effort. Good job keeping the weight down.

Trying to figure out max RPM and speed on paper with any engine/vehicle is about impossible. Steam although simple in concept is actually quite complex. And especially when speed and load are factored in. I'll resort to our favorite adage amongst my steam buddies when we question what will work : "Try it". To make it go fast gotta have three things: Enough boiler heat surface, large enough engine, and alotta heat.

""The next issue to work out is my valve timing. I think that the eccentrics on the crank are optimised for reverese rotation, so I might try and use a later cutoff for a little more power in forward rotation."

I noticed in one of your videos, the right side cylinder looks too far advanced. Locking slightly before TDC. There are numerous ways to set the timing and the majority of the modern steam engines I've encountered are typically out of time:) Most are simply set by eye - rotating the engine around and setting admission to open at TDC with the valve cover off. Some say before TDC, some say after - read on. Another way is putting a hose on the steam chest and blow into it and put the piston on TDC, adjust eccentric where it just opens at that point. I concocted and used that method and it works well. The best way is put the engine on a prony brake (easy to make) and adjust the timing to where it has the most power at a controlled inlet pressure. And use steam for this method as air and steam expand at different rates. The two latter methods have to be done one cylinder at a time not manifolded together.

P.S. With those windows on the boiler casing and the right fire, it's going to look incredible at night. Probably get the fire department called on ya, but it will look incredible. :)

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 15, 2017
  2. 340HilbornDuster

340HilbornDuster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thought I wasn't a Big Steam Fan Now...(I had a small Steam Engine with "META tablets"(always wondered why it had railings on it?) when i was little)
    But i really Like / appreciate what you're doing with this!
    It's a STEAM HOT ROD!
    It's DANGEROUS!... (I'm sure everyone have your best interest at heart...
    (& there's a bunch of steam guys here on HAMB!)
    It's WAY COOL!....(Partly Because it Dangerous!...)
    It's GOT STYLE!...(Not easy to make it look good with all that stuff on there!)
    Can't wait to see it with a Body one day...Single Seat Racer would look really cool!

Keep those Pressure Relief Valves (Plural) Serviced / Tested!
    .....Bonneville Steam Class?

Kume likes this.
  3. wafflemaster

wafflemaster
    from Reno, NV

Thanks Ron, I'm going to be testing a couple variations of my valve timing this week, I'll see if I can do the hose trick correctly. I've noticed that one cylinder is producing much more power than the other because I can open up the cylinder drain on one side and the engine keeps going, but if I open the opposite side, it comes to a halt. I've scribed marks to designate the current timing just in case I screw everything up I can return to home :)

And yes, the windows are there to make a show at night...we'll see if they let me into Hot August Nights to show it off haha.

Locomobiler likes this.
  4. wafflemaster

wafflemaster
    from Reno, NV

Thanks! Here's a quick and dirty rendering of how I think the body will end up. Did I mention I'm adding a second steering axle? Seems more steam-car-appropriate to me :)

[​IMG]

5. I've been quietly following this thread since it first appeared.....

Waffle, your rendering reminds me of Professor Fate's ride, the Hannibal 8, in The Great Race.....

ClayMart and wafflemaster like this.
  6. 340HilbornDuster

340HilbornDuster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I dig it!!....Go for it! (Like a ELF F1 - Tyrrell P34)

Bandit Billy likes this.
  7. wafflemaster

wafflemaster
    from Reno, NV

They Tyrrell P34 is one of my all time favorite cars. I still have no idea what ELF does, but that car burned the brand into my mind as a kid.

8. keywestjack

keywestjack
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Pittsburgh

9. CNC-Dude

CNC-Dude

Larger automakers also conduct destructive testing to see how bad things really do go bad when/if they ever do. Have you considered doing a Mythbusters style failure test in a far secluded spot to see what can potentially happen in case a bigger than expected failure occurs?

10. Locomobiler

Locomobiler

Yeah that is a good indicator there is a timing issue on that cylinder. Using breath is safer to set timing than using low air pressure.

Two steering axles, that is pretty wild. I like it.

Just a thought on the windows. Dark tint behind vertical louvers would look good. Would make the flame look dark blue.

-Ron

Frank4000 likes this.
  11. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

As much as I love the build the 2nd axle to me is jumping the shark. But its your car...

cretin and kidcampbell71 like this.
  12. Jay Evans

Jay Evans

Gratuitous extra wheels might be a bad idea. wheel.jpg
    Double front wheels is a very bold design. My fear is that it would detract from the steam part of the build, and that would be a shame. Sort of like putting an day glow frame on the Mona Lisa. The questions would be, why four front wheels, why aren't they on the back etc, etc. Wouldn't you rather they asked about the flames inside the glass, subtle, but so cool!
    The steam build is so remarkable it should stand on its own merit.
    Perhaps the double front wheels could be your next build?
    I notice you are in Reno, I'm not far and get there from time to time. I'd visit if allowed.

Last edited: May 17, 2017
  13. gatz

gatz

...and, the front-end steering geometry would be a nightmare

14. wafflemaster

wafflemaster
    from Reno, NV

Or a challenge, depending on how you look at it.

15. shadams

shadams

Looks killer! I like the doubles in front, makes it look even more interesting.
    Is that a Pantera in the background? Havent seen one of those in a while.....

Kume and wafflemaster like this.
  16. wafflemaster

wafflemaster
    from Reno, NV

Thanks! Yep, that's my 73 Pantera. 351C with 180 degree headers. Sounds amazing.

powrshftr and shadams like this.
  17. yes, and make the second set a different height;)

wafflemaster likes this.
  18. i mention in an earlier post on this thread that i built an actual steam powered Model A Ford roadster 30 years ago with my father. we used a Stanley motor in it , and my father had put a Stanley motor in a Willy's Jeep in 1953...the year i was born

these are s0me crappy pictures , the best i could come up with . the first one is of the Willys and i believe a 1921 Stanley Steamer. you can see the boiler where the engine should be and what i think is the firebox hanging down. i barely remember those cars

the last three are all i could come up with the Stanely Steamer powered Ford A Roadster

steam 001.jpg steam 002.jpg steam 003.jpg steam 004.jpg

Tuck, Tim, powrshftr and 8 others like this.
  19. Wow. This thing is friggin' awesome.

Here's to the crazy ones.

e1956v, keywestjack and wafflemaster like this.
  20. wafflemaster

wafflemaster
    from Reno, NV

I finally added a much-needed improvement...floorboards and footrests! The car feels almost "comfortable" now haha. I'll be making some chain guards next, I kinda want to keep my legs/crotch intact.

[​IMG]

21. Locomobiler

Locomobiler

Jim,

I would add some rear springs to it at least, Witmer coach in PA has full elliptical same as under mine for $65 each, part # 14-352. They are 30" eye to eye and around 8" tall and will support around 600 pounds each.

Having more traction in the front and no suspension in the rear to hug the road surface, I would be concerned about losing the back end easily in curves on wet pavement. Jarring the steamplant and mechanical components isn't a good thing to do as it can cause things to fatigue. Beyond that from a comfort standpoint, railroad tracks would be a bit unpleasant.

Used to ride hardtail motorcycles and there was always something cracking and loosening(including me) :).

Mount them outboard of the seats, just a suggestion.

-Ron

powrshftr likes this.
  22. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You could have used the Pantera... ;) As a space shuttle tail-gunner, I approve of this project.
    333.jpg

slv63, Stogy, Kume and 1 other person like this.
  23. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

who is this Muppet?

Interesting build. Far more useful that than 72 comments falcongoober made on the "how to hold your shift knob" thread.

24. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

George isn't around here anymore to see the comment, so I guess it doesn't matter.

Old wolf likes this.
  25. TurnpikeCruiser

TurnpikeCruiser

I just read this thread from start to finish and I'm very impressed. This is an amazing build.

I will definitely be watching for updates. I think the styling will work well for the car, even the dual front axle should you choose to go that route. It reminds me of the lead truck of a locomotive. How about a cowcatcher perhaps?

I'm a steampunk myself, I've always had a fascination with steam. We have a 1/2 scale steam tractor in our family that's just awesome to operate. My brother and I have discussed on many occasion building our own steam tractor or steam car but money and time quickly shut things down. I will live vicariously through your thread.

powrshftr likes this.
  26. CNC-Dude

CNC-Dude

Where did he go?

27. frank spittle

frank spittle

He sure contributed a lot here. Most comments I agreed with but not this one. It was his last post I remember.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  28. keywestjack

keywestjack
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Pittsburgh

29. He was banned. There's another thread or two on it. He had his issues with the HAMB, and pushed things a little too far from what I understand.

kidcampbell71 likes this.