Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Lowering a Mustang II front end

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by krbarnes, May 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. krbarnes

krbarnes

I have a question for the group. I have a Chassis Engineering Mustang II front-end with tubular control arms and 2" drop spindles on my '50 Chevy 2-door Sedan, and would like to get the car lower. I have already cut 1 coil off the front springs.
    Everything I have read says that at 'ride height', the lower control arms should be parallel to the ground, which is about where it is right now.
    With a specific tire/wheel combination, distance A will always be constant, giving a particular ride height (distance B and C )

To lower the car any further, It seems my only choice would be to shorten the springs (distance C ). But in doing that, it would also cause the lower control arms to 'angle-up' toward the outside of the car, no longer parallel to the ground (make sense?)

Just wondering if this is a problem, since it seems to go against everything I've read about these front ends.
    Any advice, critique, criticism welcomed.
    (here's a picture of my car as it sits now - 3" blocks in the back)

2. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Your car looks just right to me! But I think you'd have to raise the entire cross member on the frame to get it lower. If you cut the springs any more you'd probably have no suspension travel left (regardless of the lower A arm angles). Gary

3. are all the roads in Michigan perfectly smooth with no pot holes or speed bumps?

4. krbarnes

krbarnes

I can definitely see your logic, but unfortunately this is a 'bolt-in' crossmember, so raising it in the frame rails isn't really an option.
    I may just have to love it as it sits. Or lower the rear for a taildragger!

5. krbarnes

krbarnes

HA HA HA!!!!! :p
    You obviously have never been to Michigan. Probably some of the worst roads in the country.

( I know where you're going with that - probably don't want it too low! )

6. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Question is how much more drop do you want? Parallel to ground bottom "A" arm is considered an ideal starting point, a little up or down from that is not a big deal if properly sprung and aliened. Your car looks great from the side but I can see that with Chevy's high mounted front bumper car will look high from the front................................

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.