Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Own a "Legacy Car" and "Aging Out" ????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bondolero, May 14, 2017.

1. Hyfire

Hyfire

Terms like "aging out" and "legacy car" sound like code words.

I'm not so accepting of having a young guy tell me I'm "aging out" and should sell my old car to him.

It's the automotive equivalent of death panels.

Last edited: May 18, 2017
    loudbang, Hnstray, Squablow and 2 others like this.
  2. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

In 1965 I had just started working at United Air Lines. A slightly older guy was leaving to work on the 727 line at Boeing. He sold me his old '32 Ford altered coup for $75. I had a lot of fun with that car. In 1998 I decided to retire from UAL. And i decided to sell the car to some younger new guy in the shop. I did just that for $4,000. Not a high price. He still has it. has not changed anything about it other than installing a 350 and 'glide. I sold it without an engine, as I had bought it. He just drives it on and off a trailer and shows it just as I left it. Still has lake bed dust in it. Didn't crash it or anything like that. This is the car today with his blown SBC Jeep. IMG_2465%5B1%5D.JPG

3. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have a friend who is in his early 80s. He´s got a couple of nice old cars and he has got an interesting method to pick his future care taker. He knows none of his family has any interest in his stuff. is on a couple of old car forums and is keeping in touch with some like minded guys, meeting them for a coffee or on cruise nights.I think he is taking a close look on people around him and how they treat their old cars and what they appriciate about them. Whenever he thinks someone may be an adequate future owner of a certain one of his cars, he asks him to come by and take it for a ride telling him what he loves about this car and what he did to it. If the guy likes it( what is always the case of course:) my friend tells him the price range , and that the car is not for sale right now, but maybe in a couple of years...I think he is just planning ahead, and he ain´t giving stuff away , that´s for sure. I´m already saving money, hahahaha

4. Hyfire

Hyfire

Very cool Rich! I wish I had been as lucky as you. I've sold some pretty historic cars to young guys who talked the talk and then flipped them.

It's just something to keep in mind.

I know there are exceptions (like yours Rich), but I bet more cars have been ruined than saved in this way. I guess it just depends on how well you can judge character. Which apparently I can't.

Last edited: May 15, 2017
  5. plan9

plan9

Great roadster, it definitely has a legacy.
    Yourself, and the owners prior put a lot of effort into it and deserves to stay a race car for another 50 years. At least a guy could still run, even if the mph is limited. Change up the cage a the driver and away you go. If its in the cards, I'd like to run it.

flyn schlosser and Hyfire like this.
  6. Cool thread. I'm 45 years old and like 30-34 ford coupes. Anyone need me to take care of one? I have indoor heated parking.:)

This post is 100% serious.

Last edited: May 16, 2017
    Baumi likes this.
  7. PoRodder

PoRodder
    from St. Louis

I'm finding a bit of irony in this thread. A Bunch of guys worried about a successive owner modifying their modified vehicle which they modified, maybe at the dismay of its previous owner when it may have been in original condition (unmodified).

Hnstray likes this.
  8. plan9

plan9

You have interpreted this thread incorrectly.

bondolero likes this.
  9. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Not really........seems pretty obvious and kind of amusing........that is not to say it's 'wrong'.......only illustrates the difficulty of controlling the future .....for better or worse, it belongs to those who will reside there.

Ray

Last edited: May 15, 2017
  10. willymakeit

willymakeit

I have the 56 F100 my auto body teacher and I built. I rebuilt it again after it was given to me. It passes to my daughter who loves it. It will then go to one of the grandkids. Time will tell and maybe they will improve it. Not a lot of control when you pass it on.

Sent from my K88 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

bondolero likes this.
  11. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40

I'm 30 and a great caretaker... I plan on trying to keep my collection under 12 cars, so if you need to find a good home for your loved one, call me sooner than later as I'm already up to four. I prefer Fords but if the right car comes along I'll be happy to take care of it.

You know what they say, "He who dies with the most toys... still dies".
    IMG_20170410_214721_706.jpg

clunker, slv63 and Dean Lowe like this.
  12. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40

This car is being taken care of. I think the owner has enough smarts to leave it as is and get it out to be seen. It's in good hands for the time being.

13. PoRodder

PoRodder
    from St. Louis

This is true..
    However, Plan9 may have interpreted my post incorrectly? Really just tongue in cheek observation, though. Even if one of these legacy cars was bought built just after WWII and remained unchanged, its previous owner may have considered it his pride and joy and wished it unchanged. Kind of like today's restorers often curse us for making mods to their restored 32 (that's a rare one) we just bought, only back then. He couldn't control what happened to it even if he was promised that it would remain stock. People fall on difficult times and things are sold to anyone. People get bored and focus shifts to other things. It can happen to anyone.
    So seriously then, maybe there needs to be a registry for some of these cars that qualify, and most vehicles besides a select few are not invited. Feature cars, movie cars, dry lakes cars, record holders, kustomizers cars (even the ones that you may think are super ugly), and on. For those not famous, you can have your own car inducted in the registry thereby letting the next owner know that it shouldn't be changed due to its history. Should there be a committee? I don't know. It works for houses and Shelbys.:)

14. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

In the case of my 32 seen above. I was shocked when I saw it ten years after i sold it. I had assumed the buyer was going to make a streetrod out of it. I never thought he would leave it untouched. But it is true, it's his car now for 19 years. He can do what ever he want's to do with it. Even if that is nothing.

flyn schlosser likes this.
  15. bondolero

bondolero

All that was meant by me starting this thread was the idea of taking care of passing your car on yourself to a buyer who will appreciate it and care for it rather than dumping that duty on a friend or surviving spouse/relative. Not any different than having your affairs in order late in life so someone else doesn't have to clean up the mess.

Pinstriper40 and Hnstray like this.
  16. 08racer

08racer
    from Gilbert AZ

They are all just cars. Drive them, remember the great times when they take you back. But most importantly remember the friends and bonds you made with the people along the way. That's all that matters. The cars are what brought us all together. Pass them along so somebody else can do the same. My 2 cents

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

clunker, Thor1 and bondolero like this.
  17. I already know my '56 Fairlane is going to my son. I've owned the car for nearly 50 years, longer than my wife has "owned" me :rolleyes: and certainly longer than the kids are old. Son will get it and I know he will maintain and likely will pass it along to his oldest son. Hell, it only matters to us until we're planted anyway. After that - who knows if we will see how our earthly possessions are taken care of? Feel good about it while we can, after we're gone I doubt we'll get to upset about any decisions we made prior to passing.

clunker, warbird1, bondolero and 2 others like this.
  18. No I didn't read every post in this thread but a lot of different, legit opinions.
    Look at this from the other side.
    No young kid buys a car like ours, for a lot of money
    if he wants to radically change a vintage hot rod into something else.
    He buys it because he sees things sort of the same way we do.
    I just sold my '31 avatar to a "kid" He found me. He liked my car.
    He understood my car. He was thrilled to even just drive it.
    Why would I decide not to sell it to him just because he might change it?
    I remember when I was that kid.

19. bondolero

bondolero

Fortunately there are more "kids" than most think that are HAMBrs at heart, they just don't know it.
    My upholstery was done by a 30 something, as was my exhaust, wiring, painting, metal work, forming etc. Lots of young creativity with a respect toward traditional cars.

Tony Martino and Hnstray like this.
  20. flyn schlosser

flyn schlosser
    from phelan, ca

Awesome car.I live about 10 miles from el mirage always wanted to drive a car at one of the event's. Beautiful car

bondolero likes this.
  21. WOW, that thing is awesome. If I had the chance to own it, myself being a kid in the 60'S, the only thing I would ever change is which side of the garage it was parked on from time to time. ;)

bondolero likes this.