Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Remember cars with names or writing on the trunk lid?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, May 11, 2017.

1. kustomolds

kustomolds

2. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

On the back of my wagon
    DSCN5004.JPG DSCN3969.JPG

dana barlow, quick85, i.rant and 2 others like this.
  3. Rick & Jan

Rick & Jan

One of my favorite '50's songs! IMG_0588[1981].jpg

dana barlow and chargin03 like this.
  4. You do realize this will piss off about 4 pages (and counting) of posters here, but I know what you mean.

thunderplex likes this.
  5. moparboy440

moparboy440
    from Finland

I believe you are talking about Mazooma1's former car!
    He haven't been on the Hamb for a long time though? Anybody heard from him?
    [​IMG]

bchctybob and enloe like this.
  6. 2935ford

2935ford

Just me, but never was really fond of vehicles with names on the back! :)

54chevkiwi and zzford like this.
  7. Yes , it was done on customs back in the day.
    I guess what I don't get is the idea of paying a sign painter to point out the fact that the car needs primer / bondo / paint, etc., rather than spending the money where it's needed. Seems a little strange to me.

Last edited: May 12, 2017
    quick85 likes this.
  8. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

HeHeHe
    Big Johnsons meat pies.

9. Muttley

Muttley

Way back in the late '60's my Dad owned this '58 DeSoto. He traded it off to a friend of his named Cliff Sherrill who promptly painted it metallic puke green with heavy bass-boat style flake. :cool: :cool: Lettered in pink on the quarter panel was 'It's a man's world'. Not long afterwards it was totaled by an old lady that ran a stop sign and t-boned it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

CoolYourJets and bchctybob like this.
  10. southerncad

southerncad

Well, not painted on the back, but in the rear side window of my '49:
    "If you gotta' ask...
    ...you'll never understand"

11. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

I guess you are talking about my wagon. That's cool, I wish I had more money to have a killer paint job.
    Right now I have more important things to spend my money on.

One day the car will be slick but for now it is great mechanically and it has full length new floorpans.
    We are too busy right now having fun with our car.

If you want to see how much fun check our thread that is linked in our signature.
    As for paying money to have it lettered a good friend of mine did it and charged me a steering wheel I bought for 10 dollars at a swap meet and I also gave him 20 more in cash.

I have owned a lot of old cars over the years but more people give more positive comments and thumbs up than any other car I have ever owned.

12. Pooch

Pooch
    from Oklahoma

1950 kitty 2 (112).JPG Randys car about ten years ago

dana barlow likes this.
  13. Not necessarily. Just a general statement

enloe likes this.
  14. I can only speak for myself. But back in the day{1978}I didn't have the money for anything that didn't make it go. So I poked a little fun at myself and named my 29, {Rust & things}. As it was built from all junkyard parts, and the body was rusty. The lettering was free. And at that time, everyone was building restro rods, and never drove an unfinished car. But I was just having fun. And I do think its kinda fun to name your car. As it is like part of the family. ha. ha. { but that's just me } Ron...

Last edited: May 12, 2017
    dana barlow, enloe and jnaki like this.
  15. bchctybob

bchctybob

So that was Mazooma's car, wow..... The good ol' days in SoCal when hot rods were out and about all the time.

dana barlow and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  16. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Love the name storys,an yes I've talked to my cars lots,the things they said back are at times hard too understand an others not. I made a bit of $ over the years painting names,striping and some airbrush stuff as well,but mostly monster car T-shirts. All with my art name"The Bat". Going back to my teens,about 1960 ,here's a photo of our group fooling around,it's Rob's beater I painted "Gangrene" on the faded out lite green paint. We did after a few months of fix an sanding ,paint it shiny Sea Foam Green=sharp cool Ford then. img025.jpg

Last edited: May 13, 2017
    bchctybob, Ron Funkhouser and enloe like this.
  17. 911 steve

911 steve
    from nebraska

I had a 54 Chevy sedan delivery with a Buick Grand Nat'l turbo V6 drivetrain. after blowing the doors off a new Honda, the kid driving it asked what I had in it?? "just a stock 6-cylinder" so I had that phrase made into a license plate frame.

my current ride "Black Magic", Pam Anderson as a witch. also inspired by Santana's "Black Magic Woman"
    lake1.jpg 10-16-12j.JPG 2016-04-26 00.56.14.jpg 2016-04-26 00.54.26.jpg

dana barlow likes this.
  18. Kid in college had a nice 54 chevy with
    letitallhangout
    on the rear quarter. Then there is the brides 57 bird that I had Peggy Sue 2006 951.jpg below the port hole.

19. 38 Chevy

38 Chevy

20. blackout78666

blackout78666

a bit OT but back when i was circle track racing my favorite was " i bang your girlfriend harder than that" a lot of beating and banging on the short tracks

Driver50x, dana barlow and enloe like this.
  21. kmrumedy

kmrumedy

My wife was taking too long in the mall. So I did this writing while waiting in the parking lot. She didn't notice and couldn't understand why people were honking at her while we drove home. :)

[​IMG]

cfmvw, Driver50x, alanp561 and 2 others like this.
  22. edcodesign

edcodesign
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

23. In the late 60's in Tulsa ok. a green 55-57 nomad with lace paint was always in a parking lot about 4 blocks from our house. The tailgate had '' so rare " lettered on it. I would walk and look at that car about every day.

24. Gman0046

Gman0046

Don't know about y'all, but I'm sick and tired of hearing the BS about the gal with "if you can beat me you can eat me" on her Corvette. Probably the biggest old car myth ever perpetrated and a figment of someones sick imagination. I'd be ashamed to report seeing it. Its pure BS.
    If no pictures, it never happened.

56shoebox and chevy57dude like this.
  25. FencePost

FencePost

My cousin had a mean '55 Chevy Post. It was about '68-'69. His name was Jack and he had his girl friend paint 'Jumpin Jack' on the back. I was 7-8 and it's the car that hooked me into hotrods. There was another car around town, a '67 Fairlane and it said 'Grounds For Divorce' on the rear quarter panels. Those are the two that stuck with me.

26. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

IMG_0851.JPG Back in high school around 63 there was a very quick 57 Chevy that had the left quarter totally smashed in an accident but was still driveable. He named his car "The Dent"
    Don't think it ever was repaired but won many street races.
    My first ride that actually hit the street was an unimpressive 54 Ford that I lettered this below the quarter glass. Good times.

dana barlow likes this.
  27. Gman, you are right. Ya damn grouch:D.

28. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

One of my favorite photos is of the 28 Ford Sedan Delivery that was once owned by Lee Bright and before that, his brother, Jack in the early 60’s. The sad thing is that Lee and sedan delivery are gone now, but these memories will always linger… I was so proud that the photos came out well and I was glad that my investment in a 2.25 x 2.25 Mamiya Twin Lens Reflex Camera paid off with some great shots. Who says larger isn’t always better? These slides and negatives were crystal clear…So the rest was up to the photographer to capture the moment.

Jnaki

What more could a photo say…"Mother Truckers…" upload_2017-5-16_4-13-28.png
    Jack Bright: early photo thanks: San Diego Prowlers
    upload_2017-5-16_4-15-47.png
    upload_2017-5-16_4-16-35.png

29. olcurmdgeon

olcurmdgeon

hard to see in this photo from 1966, but front fenders had "soul and inspiration" on them, the Righteous Bros hit that my girlfriend (now my wife of 51 years) danced to when we met. Ah to be young and foolish once again.
    36786_1547281488843_7632430_n.jpg

TagMan, enloe and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  30. wicarnut

wicarnut

Following this thread I remembered a few more this AM, Pussy Footn, You Lose, Bad Fast, Cutey Pie, Bonzai, Fast Enuff, Satisfaction, being from Milwaukee WI. Da Bruiser, Da Crusher ( guys were wrestling Fan's I guess) Funny how this car stuff I remember, I can't name 10/12 people from back then 60's, remember the cars, names and like most, can't tell you much about last week. LOL

Last edited: May 16, 2017
    Ron Funkhouser and enloe like this.