Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Old Hot Rod Roadster With A New Future As A TROG Racer...?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by missysdad1, Apr 21, 2017.

1. Rand Man

Rand Man

What a cool car and developing story. Yes, resto-Rod was the big thing.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

missysdad1 likes this.
  2. missysdad1

missysdad1

I think you're right. Here's an old thread from the HAMB with more pictures and information about them. https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/hollywood-wheels.466238/ This would date them as early '60s and not '70s as I'd first thought.

hollywood wheels.jpg

I also got a note from Chip at Hot Rod Central Louver Company ("got louvers ?" here on the HAMB) who also opined that the wheels on my roadster were from the early to mid-60s.

Could be that the original build on my new roadster was done much earlier than I thought...

volvobrynk and ROBRAM like this.
  3. Check out this item # on ebay
    eBay item number:

missysdad1 likes this.
  4. Here's a better one.
    eBay item number:

missysdad1 likes this.
  5. missysdad1

missysdad1

I think I may have that issue in my library. I'll have to start digging to see if I can find it. Thanks for the reminder.

6. missysdad1

missysdad1

And curiouser still...

I got to thinking today about how the old "Hollywood" wheels seemed to sit further out than they would be on a stock Model A rear axle, so got out my trusty jack and tape measure. Sure enough, none of the dimensions seemed to match those of a stock A...or anything else, for that matter. ?????

So, in hopes that one of my HAMB buddies will have some insight here are the measurements of the rear axle (it has juice brakes):

Wheel mounting surface to wheel mounting surface: 58 1/4"
    Backing plate to backing plate where the bell flange bolts on: 52 1/4"

These numbers don't seem to jive with ANY published dimensions for ANY banjo rear axle. ANY help would be appreciated...

new roadster 17.jpg roadster rear axle measure.jpg

Last edited: May 1, 2017
    kidcampbell71 likes this.
  7. mike bowling

mike bowling

Needs to be re- "reverse engineered."
    Nice find.

missysdad1 likes this.
  8. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

I have to say that I too saw it in a magazine..Maybe in the Rod&Custom Quartlys..Article explained the double spare mount by using a PU fender..

missysdad1 likes this.
  9. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

That's what you really needed another project. I still like to have your F1. Frank

missysdad1 likes this.
  10. missysdad1

missysdad1

Pretty girls and Model A roadsters, I just can't say "no".

Seriously, the guy I bought it from was flipping it to make a buck to pay for higher education, but he was also toying with the idea of keeping it and "cutting off the fenders and making it into a rat rod..." There's a long story here, but suffice it to say that I just couldn't let that happen to such a neat old hot rod with local Texas history. I'm a sucker I guess.

I'm still strong on the idea of using the body from this car on the Arin Cee Roadster, and putting this one back together as a 'banger using the Brookville body I already have. All it really needs is a Tardel Zee to get the rear end down and some '40 Ford steelies. Not clear yet, still trying to figure out the history on this one first.

Oh...the F1 is currently in storage but will be getting sold fairly soon to finance the roadsters. If you are serious, let me know.

Last edited: May 2, 2017
    volvobrynk and manx4me like this.
  11. missysdad1

missysdad1

Look what I found under the seat...under a couple inches of rat poop! Hmmmmm...

banger under seat.jpg

volvobrynk and Denns1989 like this.
  12. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

That a awful lot of wiring for a banger.

volvobrynk and missysdad1 like this.
  13. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Maybe 12v and alt..

14. missysdad1

missysdad1

You are both right. I'll have to finish pressure-washing the floor to be able to see what the wires do - they're marked as per Ron Francis wire - and where they go to. The first generation of rat poop got wet at some point and is now the consistency of plaster and coats pretty much everything at floor level. The seat belts are history, but at least it had 'em. Battery was on the floor in the rumble seat, the wires bared by countless generations of little rat teeth. An interesting old rod, for sure.

volvobrynk and brad2v like this.
  15. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Sounds like it`s time for the H.A.M.B. detective agency to reopen for business.Got yourself a great score there.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

missysdad1 likes this.
  16. brad2v

brad2v

Nice save, that's a neat little rod. Subscribed

missysdad1 likes this.
  17. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Is it an actual Ron Francis wiring panel? They started business in 1974. (Their site shows panels from 1980 on; https://www.ronfrancis.com/prodinfo.asp?number=KIT-HST1).
    Master cylinder looks to be the popular 68-72.
    Doesn't necessarily mean the car was built in the 70's. It's possible that the car was built as a Rod in the 60's but updated in the 70's with new brakes, wiring.

missysdad1 likes this.
  18. missysdad1

missysdad1

It's really hard to tell until I get all the rat poop pressure washed off. The printed labels on the panel are unreadable due to the acid effects of the poop but there appears to be writing on the wires. It's a real smelly mess under the seat...

Yes, the master cylinder is later for sure and appears to be more recent than the '40-style brake assemblies as do the lines. As you suggest I think both the wiring and the master cylinder/lines are an upgrade from what was on the car when it was originally built.

As "1-Shot" mentioned earlier, that's an awful lot of wiring for a traditional 'banger so until I get it cleaned up and the wires traced it's hard to know the reason for this apparent overkill.

I have been relying heavily on the works of Andy Southard Jr. for photographic data of the styles of Model A hot rods as they evolved from the 1950s through the 1980s, especially those with full fenders. Andy's journalistic work was done mostly in Northern California which was the source of the "resto-rod" style trend and is quite prolific. There can be no doubt that whomever built this car - or rebuilt it, as the case may be - was heavily influenced by this NorCal look. Not surprisingly, Andy Southard Jr's photos appeared widely in the hot rod mags of the time including our dear departed Rod & Custom Magazine. So, just because my car has the NorCal resto-rod look doesn't mean it was built in Northern California.

But... There is much reason to believe that this car did begin it's journey as a hot rod in California. More on this later...

Andy-southard.jpg

This photo of Andy dates to 1965 and is a great example of the NorCal resto-rod look when applied to a Model A. The exaggerated (by today's standards) high rear stance was an integral part of the styling trend.

Last edited: May 9, 2017
    brad2v, kidcampbell71 and Sancho like this.
  19. missysdad1

missysdad1

Well...another step forward. I dragged out my old pressure washer today and spent the morning "doing the dirty" - getting rid of all the petrified rat poop that was stuck to the floor pan. Yuck! And we hot rodders do this kind of stuff for FUN...which is how normal people know we are anything but normal!

The electrical panel is quite modern, probably the byproduct of an upgrade to 12-volts and an alternator as has been suggested. The wires do have writing on them and other than a few rat chew marks appear to be still serviceable. Same for the panel itself. That's good news.

But the REALLY good news is that the most difficult part of pressure washing the floor was keeping the drain holes open to let the water get out. Let that sink in for a little while...

new roadster 18.jpg new roadster 19.jpg

Last edited: May 9, 2017
    volvobrynk likes this.
  20. Man I like that I wish I had two of them one to shit on and one to cover it up with. :rolleyes: :D

@missysdad1 I saw a roadster that really resembles that Green? car up near Indy at a car show in the '70s. I was just passin through and the car show was there. I can't tell you much and maybe it wasn't even the same car but how many just like it could there have been?

[​IMG]

21. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

the touring is cool, also it was not a trend to build cars with too long of a wheelbase and cartoon proportions back then. I could go find 100 photos of stupid looking cars like the sedan pictured, not so in the 70's

1956 F100 likes this.
  22. The '70s was the era of the resto rod. Stock-ish lookin on the outside and whatever you thought would allow you to drive it under the hood. Lots of Pinto Powered As back then.

23. CBurne7

CBurne7

After hearing his plans it really seems like he needs that higher education. :D

24. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Cool find. I can't believe those rats didn't eat the paper stuff! Dirty rats. Ya never know. Lippy

missysdad1 likes this.
  25. ol-nobull

ol-nobull

Hi. Off topic on this post but just a note to Frank. I eat lunch down here in Yoakum Tx several times a week with a friend who wears that same 1st Cav patch on his cap. Same age as you. I believe he was there in 67.
    Thanks for your service.
    Jimmie

26. ROBRAM

ROBRAM

I wish the wheels I have like those looked that good. Mine have seen better days.

27. those fuses are later.......hummmm........

missysdad1 likes this.
  28. missysdad1

missysdad1

Agree. There was other debris under the seat including a mostly-devoured Model A reference manual and other misc. paper stuff that was in hard shape, but the NSRA window sticker and program were pissy but weren't eaten on at all. Hadn't thought about that until now. Hmmm.

Yup, another hummer alright. The car was obviously a work in progress - some forward and some backwards. The wiring and fuse panel is certainly not a part of the original build but was added later, probably when the car was changed to 12-volt and the alternator added. No telling when that might have been.

At least its now clean and dry in the floor area but there's still a lot of areas remaining to be explored. This car is an adventure alright.

volvobrynk likes this.
  29. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Hi missysdad1.Yep there IS no telling what will be found in old cars.Back many years ago a friends father had a salvage yard of about 100 acres.We used to prowl through the cars all the time.One of the goofy things we found was a mummified HUMAN hand.WE thought that was neat.His dad about browned out He called the cops.We found it in an old Packard(IIRC) with Chicago plates from(IIRC) 1930.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

missysdad1 likes this.
  30. missysdad1

missysdad1

The search for historical information on this little banger roadster seems to have come to an end...with no new info coming forth. Oh,well. So, now on to bigger and better things...like deciding where to go from here with it.

Probably back to Plan A - using this body on the Arin Cee Roadster and putting the Brookville body on this car and sending it down the road. Got a good running 'banger motor that will drop right in and it won't take much to make it a running, driving car again. We'll see...

new roadster 21.jpg

chryslerfan55 likes this.