Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical King pin material?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Pat Stephens, May 9, 2017.

1. Pat Stephens

Pat Stephens

I need custom sized kingpin bushings for my 52' 2 ton chevy and i swear i remember reading somewhere that the material used was some kind of special bronze. I took my knuckles to the machine shop and they didnt want to do the job, and they are the only one close to me. I do have a metal lathe in my shop but id like some others input on what kind of bronze may have been used?

Sent from my SM-G935V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

When I was heavy into the trade, we had a salesman for a bushing company come out with some PLASTIC spindle bushings.
    My boss wouldn't try them, although the salesman swore that Chevrolet Truck division had been using these bushings for 2 years. (that would have been 1968-'69)
    The old man wouldn't budge.
    Some time later, a 5 ton dump came in with front end wobble. (it was a year old, never worked on before)
    I nearly 'shat' when I removed some squashed-out light blue poly propylene king pin bushings!!!

We replaced them with Silicone Bronze, honed and fit them myself. (they were MOOG.)

3. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

Nylon for better words has came a long way . I used some replacement spindle bearings on my Power Wagon , I was thinking these will be done in 6 months . 50K miles later they look as new and do not need same maintenance as roller bearings . Just something to think about before saying no way

4. oldolds

oldolds

Oilite may be the bronze you are looking for.

porknbeaner and firstinsteele like this.

5. if your not in a big hurry....I've acquired some/lots of old NOS king pin sets....haven't run the part #'s yet....can you get a mic on what you have or what the size your going to.......send me a PM...

6. Fordors

Fordors

I think Oilite might not hold up, it is sintered metal, compacted to a low density so the pores can retain oil.
    Bearing bronze is what you need for k/p bushings, it is known as C932.

Rex_A_Lott and HemiDeuce like this.
  7. Stueeee

Stueeee
    from Kent, UK

I've always used Phosphor Bronze when I've had to make kingpin bushes. It has better wear resistance than ordinary bronzes. The British designation is BS 1400 PB1 for this material. US equivalent is given as C90710 from a quick web search.

Rex_A_Lott likes this.
  8. Pat Stephens

Pat Stephens

This a 52 chevy 2 ton truck i use for my car hualer and im swapping p30 spindles onto it for the disc setup so idk about nylon lol but thank you for all the replies!

9. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

What is the difference in the bushing OD/ID between the two spindle bushings? What I am wondering is, if the diameter difference is significantly greater on the P-30 units, would it be feasible to make a steel sleeve to resize the P-30 pin boss to the same as your '52 Chevy size and use stock size pins and bushings?

The sleeve could be machined with a small flange on one end to hold it in place when the OEM sized bronze bushing is pressed in. Of course the P-30 spindles would need a relief machined for the flange. Just a thought.....may not have any applicability for your purposes.

Ray

Pat Stephens likes this.
  10. Other alloys to consider are AMPCO 18 bearing bronze (aluminum bronze) with a yield strength of 37ksi. Alloy 954 is another, yield is 32ksi. 630 bronze (aluminum-nickel) had a yield of 50ksi and better wear characteristics. There is an AMPCO 45 we use for a lot of bushings pressed into aluminum, can't find the spec on it ATM.

Pat Stephens likes this.
  11. Pat Stephens

Pat Stephens

Ray i think your onto somthing here, im going to try and turn some sleeves on my lathe, just learned how to use the boring bar i just bought the lathe and havnt ran one since college, hopefully i can come up with somthing

12. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

yep, the new plastic bushings are very nice to install and render good service.