Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration 2016 LA Roadster Show Express Smithfield, VA to Pomona, CA... we hope!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hamtown Al, Dec 31, 2015.

1. jackandeuces

jackandeuces

pray for Alabama Scout Ron Hickman

2. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thank you Jack
    I just saw that he was in an accident in his Roadster and had his grand daughters with him... made me tear up.
    He is on the prayer list
    Keep us updated please

Larry

3. Prayers sent.

Hamtown Al likes this.
  4. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

20160610_094725 (Medium).jpg Hi Fellows,

I am sorry to report that Ron was in a very bad car accident Wednesday while two of his granddaughters were riding with him in the car he drove to CA with us.

I got the news late last night from Jack and have thought of little else since then.

What a shame.

The granddaughters were injured, one more seriously, but their mother has reported that they both will “be fine.”

Ron, on the other hand, is critical, according to Jack.

Please keep Ron and his family in your thoughts and prayers.

Sad Al
    PS A new thread titled, "Another bad wreck involving a hot rod." has been started on the HAMB and includes a picture of the wreck.
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/another-bad-wreck-involving-a-hot-rod.1027581/

PSS I forgot the dang to post the dang picture of Jack and Ron the first time!!

Last edited: Jul 29, 2016
    jackandeuces and lothiandon1940 like this.
  5. Prayers out to Ron and Family.

lothianwilly71 and Hamtown Al like this.
  6. joesgarages

joesgarages

Thanks Al for update! Prayers......and more for Ron and his family at such a sad time!

lothiandon1940 and Hamtown Al like this.
  7. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

Still praying for Ron and family.

jackandeuces and gtrhotrod like this.
  8. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

As has been noted elsewhere, our pal, Ron, ultimately succumbed awhile back to his injuries but only after a valiant fight. Please keep Holly and the rest of his family and friends; many here on the HAMB, in your prayers.

On a more pleasant note, our own Tumbleweed Tom was honored at the annual PIIG Run given and sponsored by another of our merry band of travelers; Jerry...sometimes, "Joe:)," in his backyard complex known as Joes Garages.

Jerry had a local artist make a really neat award to acknowledge Tumbleweed Tom's bold accomplishment of driving a flathead powered hot rod to LA and back, via COLORADO!

Tumbleweed 1.jpg
    Tumbleweed 4.jpg
    Tumbleweed 5.jpg

Sorry for the smaller sized pictures as stolen from Tom's Fordbarn postings. Dummy Al forgot to take his own pictures!!:eek:

One of the many neat features of the award is that it shows Tumbleweed, and his co-pilot, Earl, on the way out to LA on the front of the award and it also shows them from the back on the backside of the award!;)
    Very clever. Also, Tumbleweed, and others that went got a special memento in the form of a key chain that included an acknowledgement to what it takes to DRIVE you hot rods to LA and back.
    I'm thinking most of you will figure it out. SOMEBODY added a larger version to the back of Tumbleweed's car during the show.;)

Also, while I was giving the crowd a quick overview of our trip out west, a helpful friend that was assisting earlier in parking the cars; interrupted me and handed me some small white pieces of paper and said, "Al, I noticed you had some kind of sticker on your headlight when you came in so I scraped it off for you!" :eek:

That got my attention and a big roar from the crowd!:D

Having fun with cars is what it is all about.

Thanks again to so many of you that made the journey with us... it made the trip all the more fun.:)

ATTABOY! to Jerry for the great party and also for giving the award to Tumbleweed.

Also, somebody is surely wondering about what the PIIG stands for... some say it had to do with a misspelling of the animal's name most connected with the Smithfield area but veterans of the event know it stands for "Put It In Gear!!";) Jerry is a firm believer in DRIVING your toys and puts on the event to encourage others to do the same.

Enjoy your hot rod cars and trucks, AND your PALS!, while you can and be sure to share the fun with others when possible.

9. Jerry , Al - you guys blew Earl and I away with your award. We certainly didn't expect that driving a flathead across the country would garnish such an honor and we are humbled by it. Thank you.

IMG_20161126_133133699.jpg
    IMG_20161126_133141967.jpg
    IMG_20161126_164439321_HDR.jpg

Oh and BTW, Earl and I are planning another run but to the LSR this spring - P-I-I-G gents!

Last edited: Dec 3, 2016
  10. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The Tom and Earl show on the road is a fun time for all.
    Congratulations.
    1480816532458.jpg

Sent from my XT1254 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

11. Gabby

Gabby

I really enjoy the trip to LA. Retiring for the second time on Dec 16 and plan to start working on my bucket list. The best part of any road trip is seeing old friends and making some new ones. To the chick that flashed us in Co., I miss you !

12. joesgarages

joesgarages

Earl, do you have picture of the chick flash? For those who made the LA trip I have BBs for each of you.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  13. Gabby

Gabby

No pictures of the chick flash but I remember it well and fondly. She was awesome.

14. Believe it when I tell you that I whole heartily concur - they were awesome!

15. Rudy

Rudy

Congrats Tom & Earl on a great trip, a great story, and an awesome flathead powered roadster. Glad you like the award/artwork. Thank you Jerry, for the opportunity. Safe travels to all of you that hit the road......

16. You did a great job, Rudy, and thank you for your kind words.

And Jerry - what can I say, man but thank you ....

17. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

Thanks to one of our trip gang, Larry in NM, who has greater computer skills than some of us;);
    I am able to share the link to my interview that was requested and recorded at the LARS.
    They really did encourage me to share tidbits of the trip and how it came to be.
    Yeah, there is a fair amount of baloney in the mix but I hope you enjoy the tale.
    Here's the link to the full interview on youtube; including some additional footage of me getting to meet Ed Iskenderian who was 94 years young at the time. What an honor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMvPlOfdeQY

Big THANK YOU! to the film fellas that were really some great guys and you could readily tell they loved the sport and the LA Roadster Show. If they had only somehow made me prettier!!:D I guess I was lucky the camera didn't break!!:eek:

I hope our tale will inspire others to go make some memories of their own this year.

Ya gotta drive 'em.
    Al

gtrhotrod and j3harleys like this.
  18. j3harleys

j3harleys

What a great story . I would love to do something like that, But most likely will not happen.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
    jackandeuces likes this.
  19. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

^^^Wish you could have gone with us this past year. Both of our "Scouts" went to the Dirt Drags on the way out to LA and they would have tied on a rope if necessary to get you there!!

What was most surprising was that virtually nobody dropped out after committing to go a very long time in advance.

I'm sure SOMEBODY will make the trip this year... watch for them and get in touch.

One of the great results of our trip out west was to get to know the two fellows that lived in NM that saw the thread and got in touch and joined us as we came their way. One of the fellows even had special shirts made up for each of us and refused any payment... he said he wanted them to be his treat to the gang. A great guy. He also became somewhat of the photo journalist of the trip by posting so many pictures of our travels along the way. We all owe him a big "THANK YOU!"

I think the whole gang treasured the trip and the friendships that were forged.

Please TRY to go. At the beginning, I seriously doubted that any of us would end of going but it worked out for all of us.

One thing IS certain; if you NEVER even try, you will never go.... and that would be a dang shame.

You gotta drive 'em... it's a heck of a lot of fun!!

Al

j3harleys, jim snow and gtrhotrod like this.
  20. j3harleys

j3harleys

I was at the dirt drags. Had a great time as always. I saw your Scouts there. Between Family, Work, or Health seems there is always a reason I cant go. I was to to leave for GNRS on the 24th but had a problem come up and not going this year. But I will be at the dirt drags and hill climb again. My son goes To LARS every year, But he goes for the swap meet and to visit friends. Anyway I'm glad you guys had good time.

Hamtown Al and jackandeuces like this.
  21. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I met you at the KOA in Central City and drooled all over your 5 window. As I recall you had your grandson with you. I went with the Smithfield crew and met them in New Mexico and on to LA. Had a great time. I don't know if a LARS trip will happen again but dirt drags and hill climb will for sure. I'll keep an eye out for you. We can plan on how we are going to meet up and run to LARS together then.
    Larry

22. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

^^^Now we're talking!!! You guys keep planning and keeping folks posted and you might even pickup some fellows from Virginia!! Seriously, many of the fellows that met us for dinner in Kingman, AZ as well as the guys that met us for breakfast in Virginia longed to make the trip.
    Stir 'em up and encourage the heck out of them to give it a try.
    All of our gang loved it. We resolved to give it our best effort and just deal with whatever might go awry when it happened. Thankfully, we all got there and back home without any major calamities.
    I promise you will have a great time if Larry is along!!
    Al

23. j3harleys

j3harleys

Yes I remember what a great weekend. I don't get to go to LARS, my son goes every year, that's where the work part plays in. But I will be at Central City and Monte Vista. We will see you there

jackandeuces likes this.
  24. LBH

LBH

Been pretty quiet lately ........ not going back in 2017 ??

winduptoy and jackandeuces like this.
  25. jackandeuces

jackandeuces

26. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes it was and I'm ready whenever again!!
    Sent from my XT1585 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Hamtown Al and jackandeuces like this.
  27. When this COVID crap is over with, count me in!

28. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great story & pix!------Sorry 2021 LAR show is cancelled (again).

Hamtown Al and winduptoy like this.
  29. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

What a trip indeed! I decided to revisit the this thread and could not stop. I went back through the whole thread and somewhat relived that great time.
    Thanks again to all that helped make it a success including those of you that rode along with us in spirit and offered so much encouragement and also inspiration by sharing some of your similar adventures.
    I just wish we could have gotten more fellows to join us along the way... maybe next time!!

30. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

Can't believe it's been five years since that bucket list trip!!
    Dang sorry it's been cancelled twice now.
    Maybe next year!
    Would love to go again! IMG_6464.JPG
    Note that I still have the windshield banner on the car as well as the headlight sticker placed on the car AT the show by the LA Roadster folks!