Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Help Chevy rear id ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bobbooth, May 11, 2017.

1. bobbooth

bobbooth
    from limeyland

Hi folks,looking for a little help identifying a GM rear, It is a 10 bolt with 9.5" drums and the the numbers on it are
    RPO code 8 HT C 174 2
    the casting number on the housing is GM225676.

I am really struggling to find any info at all on it, and i need to know what it's from so i can order some parts for it, ie brake hardwear kit, shoes,axle bearing and seal and what ratio it is. As i will have to order from your side of the pond and it will take a minimum of 10 days to find out if they are the right or wrong :0. Thanks guys

Last edited: May 13, 2017
  2. That's a @squirrel question. he's got all those books.

Most parts houses just sell universal hardware kits but you'll need to know what you got if you need springs, shoes and wheel cylinders. if its an old rear you really need to count the teeth and divide to get the ratio, most of them get molested.

3. squirrel

squirrel

pictures are quite helpful...as is taking it apart and looking at the part numbers on the parts it already has. Pull the cover, see what the numbers stamped on the ring gear are. It will have the month/year, and the tooth count, most likely. Unless it has had the R&P replaced.

HT shows up as a 2.56 ratio Vega rear axle. But again, pictures would help us figure out if that is correct or not, it does not sound right.

4. 2.56 sounds a little tall for a banger powered car, but I have seen some odd stuff out of Detroit. LOL

At least if its a Vega its not the metric rear and got the big ring.;)

Thanks for responding.

5. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

With 9-1/2" drums, it probably is a Vega (or Monza). It could be a pretty steep ratio too, especially if it was a stick; those came with a 3.11 or 3.50 Saginaw, so first gear is pretty low to get the high rear end/car moving. Or a transamatic automission car. Pictures by all means if you can do them; I don't think an early Chevy II/Nova would have had that steep of a gear, but they had tiny brakes. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

6. squirrel

squirrel

9.5" drums were used on Camaros, Chevelles, etc. That's most likely what it's from. Vegas had 9" brakes, so it's not from that.

The stamped codes are so-so as a way to identify rear axles, there is more info in the pictures and part numbers, but we don't have those yet, so there's not much we can go on.

7. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Most of the bandit TA's I have built started life with 10 bolt 2:56 posi's. in fact I still have a couple of those posi carriers lying around the garage. Those drums and that ring says mid to late 70's f body to me. Especially if has leaf perches on it.

8. bobbooth

bobbooth
    from limeyland

have ,Just whipped the back cover off, stamped on the crown wheel is made in Canada 1987, counted the teeth and get 40 (39) and 14 pinion. It has 2" shoes and is definitely 9.5" drums , the crown wheel is 7.5". hope this is of use
    10 bolt 1.JPG 10 bolt 3.JPG 10 bolt.JPG 10 bolt 2.JPG

9. squirrel

squirrel

can you take a photo or write all the numbers that are stamped on the crown wheel (we call it a ring gear in the US)

also how many bolts hold each brake backing plate to the housing end?

10. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

87? Cant be a G body, they had coil springs and trailing arms that one has leafs. Same with 3rd Gen F Bodies. 7.5" 10 bolts had that squatty cover (not round). S-10 blazer? They had leafs and 7.5 10 bolts in 1987.

squirrel likes this.
  11. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Never mind, why would a blazer have a 2:56? It wouldn't be able to move out of it's own way.

12. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

At least it's not a Gov-Loc Posi. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

13. bobbooth

bobbooth
    from limeyland

I'll have a look tomorrow, thanks

14. bobbooth

bobbooth
    from limeyland

It's currently in the rear of a 56 Chevy 3100

15. squirrel

squirrel

Pics of the whole rear might help ID it.

16. bobbooth

bobbooth
    from limeyland

Hi , it has 2 bolts to hold the backplate on and 15 :41 - 7 5/8 on the crown wheel

Attached Files:

17. squirrel

squirrel

41/15= 2.73 ratio

I wonder if it's out of a G body? or a Camaro? pictures of the entire rear might give folks some clues about it. But the brake and other parts from either of those cars from 1987 will probably fit.

18. bobbooth

bobbooth
    from limeyland

Thanks, All the bracketry has been cut off to mount it in the 56 truck, I did buy some emergency brake cables for a 87 camaro ( as they are not handed ie left and right )

19. butchcoat1969

butchcoat1969