Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 1953 210 build thread (josie)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mrconcdid, Oct 22, 2010.

1. Smokey2

Smokey2

=========================================================
    MrC, Just a few more "Atta' Boys" !!!!!
    Amazin'Build, You'r certainlee well Qualified ! And,
    Yes I'm Eatin' My Jeoulos HEART OUT , cause I'm Not that Verstible.

The more I work on IT, The Worse IT GITS (Ha !) No Shit.........:cool:

Smokey !! Tennessee Bill Hilly..........

2. mrconcdid

mrconcdid
    from Florida

Honestly there were days when , I felt what have I gotten myself into, I worked on it every night and weekends for a solid year, I kinda got burnt out on it. So I set smaller goals. Instead of building a whole car, I became focused on just one aspect of it like wiring or steering, then I would move to the next thing, now looking back it has been the best spent time, had I never started the project I wouldnt have it now.

I'm a fellow Tennessesan too. Grew up in a little town called Paris, Tennessee

Today I looked at a 41 plymouth it was a street rod from the late 80s, I commented on the nice louvered hood, he didn't know what I was talking about. I smiled, not dissing him, but there no better feeling than doing a job yourself.

Godspeed
    MrC.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2012
  3. austinhunt

austinhunt

Since I started I have been wondering what I was thinkin' ???

I really look forward to the day I can experience the traditional part of this hobby: Having done something the hard way!... Till then I will struggle and learn!

4. 45_70Sharps

45_70Sharps

Amazing build thread!
    Very cool to see all the work. Well documented and very well done car.
    I love the stance.

5. mrconcdid

mrconcdid
    from Florida

What started out as new tubular uppers and lower control arms, snowballed into new upper and lower bag mounts, new brake hard lines and rerouting them, aswell as rerunning the rubber lines infront of the bag instead of behind it, rerouting airlines out the top instead of out the side, with new true "1/2" valves, rebleeding of the brake system and new lower shock mounts geessh...
    I decided to raise the car to get if off the ground, fully lowered it sits 3/4 off the ground, just incase I blow a line or bag.
    Didnt really have time take alot of pics
    I gained about 2 inches more lift in the front and it no longer sits on the ground,
    Anyone keeping count the stock control arms were the last of the " stock front end" lol live and learn i guess.

Edit: Just got back from a shake down run, wow what a differance, feels alot tighter and alot less squeaking, it even seems smoother aswell.

Godspeed
    MrC.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 21, 2012
  6. DAVEO!

DAVEO!

oh man just seeing the progress on ur chevy makes me cant wait to get mine finished!! waiting for parts is my least favorite part about the build haha

7. mrconcdid

mrconcdid
    from Florida

Well, I felt it was time to put down some sound deading and insullation
    I picked up the big roll of peal and seal from lowes. I started at the top of the firewall and I am working my way to the back, I will line the doors and roof aswell as the trunk. I used alluminum tape at all the joints and edges.

I Have been thinking of what order to do the next few steps in.
    Glass
    Interior
    body work
    Paint

I need glass but hate to spend that much knowing I want to chop it, I wouldn't want nice interior in the car without glass, and there no point painting it without the final body work done. So my plan now is to drive the piss out of it as is this summer then lower the roof this winter, get glass once, then start body work and paint and interior last.

Godspeed
    MrC.

Attached Files:

8. mrconcdid

mrconcdid
    from Florida

UPdate
    New glass and window channel/sweeps and Vent windows
    Peel and seal the doors ( WOW big difference!! )

Next up
    Front and rear window gaskets
    Radio
    Seats
    Carpet

Last weekend went to a car meet
    Saw this little number a henry J ( on a s-10 frame )
    Also found a set of these late 50's caddy caps, not sure if I will run them or not.

Godspeed
    MrC.

Attached Files:

9. jetslide

jetslide
    from norway

truly nice car MR.C
    nice rideheight without cutting into the frame:)

10. loweredd

loweredd

This is very cool!

11. mrconcdid

mrconcdid
    from Florida

Thanks guys,
    I have taken some time off from working on Josie, I am just driving it and logging some miles, I'm planning my next few steps. I'm glad you like it, its something I have wanted to do for a very long time.
    I have started adding onto my shop, it took me 10 years to out grow this one, so I hope I can get another 10 out of it.

Godspeed
    MrC.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 27, 2012
  12. -tank-

-tank-

oh man things are looking really good with your build. Cant wait to see whats next!!

13. bcumbie

bcumbie
    from East Texas

Awesome build! A true inspiration for my 53 sedan I am building.

14. The_Monster

The_Monster

Wow man, thats good news about the peel and seal. Hadnt thought of that. I have some masonite laying around too, Im going to start on my door panels and package tray as well!

15. mrconcdid

mrconcdid
    from Florida

Hey guys thanks for the post, I'm glad you liked it.

A few years ago I found the thread below and it inspired me to build Josie, So I'm glad I could pass it forward.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=313465

Hey Monster, If you choose masonite be sure and spary some water sealer on it or cover it in vinyle asap, masonite is not water proof. I may use my masonite panels as patterns for something that is water proof in the future.

Godspeed
    MrC.

16. The_Monster

The_Monster

good tip on the waterproof. Maybe slap that peel and seal stuff to it? or maybe roll on some enamel paint or something. I wonder if just spraypainting it with a thick build up of gloss would do it?

17. mrconcdid

mrconcdid
    from Florida

Its time to wake up my old build thread, I have decided to make some BIG changes.

After spending some Quality time with This restored original 1964 Galaxy 500 NHRA record holder in 64 and 65 I decided I need more power, a lot more.

IMG_20140329_173815_546.jpg IMG_20140329_173839_508.jpg

Godspeed
    MrC.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 4, 2014
  18. dvs

dvs

Car looks awesome. I like the style of the rims just not sure I like 'em white.

19. deeddude

deeddude

Car looks good as always Mr. C. Not fond of the white, but I do like the wheels; especially the wider rear wheels. Are those the 8" we discussed a while back? What size tire is in the back now?

That motor is a torque monster.

20. mrconcdid

mrconcdid
    from Florida

The wheels are the same as before just painted them 15x8 all round. I was looking to change it up a bit so I thought I would try it. When they were black you didn't see the slots in the rims. Now you can't help but notice them. May be body color would be better. Can't have red rims on a green car anyways.

Godspeed
    MrC.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2014
  21. mrconcdid

mrconcdid
    from Florida

IMG_20141102_124131_917.jpg Well, here is my inspiration lately.
    1970 Cadillac 472, can not wait to here this beast fire up.
    It is a drop in, in place of my old 368. Its like that Doublemint gum, double the hp. double the torq. in the same size package.
    IMG_20141102_122608_772.jpg
    Godspeed
    MrC.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  22. mrconcdid

mrconcdid
    from Florida

Installed the 472 and turbo 400 just a few more evenings till I can turn the key. I used por15 on the frame rails and firewall after filling some unneed holes. Also relocated the battery to clean up the engine bay. IMG_20141129_163838_308.jpg IMG_20141130_125635_086.jpg

23. mrconcdid

mrconcdid
    from Florida

Small up date, working hard to get it to the cruise in tonight.
    Got it fired up, good oil pressure , sounds great, the cam adds a lot.
    Had some small issues to over come, oil pan leak, exhaust manifold leak at the collector. but all in all an pretty straight forward swap.
    Next major upgrade should be gears and locker. thinking 2.92 or 3.07
    IMG_20150102_214647_287.jpg

24. spasecadet

spasecadet
    from PDX

That's cool. How does it drive now?

25. 51fordor

51fordor

Got your email Mrconcdid. Love your ride. I will have to start a thread on mine once I make more progress. Waiting on parts today so I can progress on the engine... 71 500 in my 54 210. Thanks for the thread! 1897798_321581124719367_4114770061220710816_n.jpg 10628256_280619602148853_7293887355733692976_n.jpg

26. mrconcdid

mrconcdid
    from Florida

little update, I am going in another direction now, I have pulled the bags off the 53 and also picked up some mag wheels.
    I'm still figuring out the final ride height, I'm on the fence right now, mild drop with a little rake or maybe even gasser/a little street freak.
    I picked up a set of American racing mags, the front 2 say 15x8 stamped on the back side and they measure 15x8 but the rear pair are stamped 15x8.5 and measure 15x10! Its going to take some work to make them fit, right now they rub the back side of the outer wheel well, which is about an inch thick, they just barely touch, I am considering milling down the mounting face of the wheel .25 of an inch and also trimming the inner brace about the same.
    otherwise I will not be able to tuck any of the rim into the fender. another option would be to radius the wheel well but I would rather not do that.

I picked up an old "Forward" brand lift the other day (junkyard), rebuilt the hydro ram and freed up the pump and its great, I would recommend it to anyone that might not have adequate concrete for a 2 post lift. FYI the jack
    stands under the lift are just back up for safety sake.
    Godspeed
    MrC.
    IMG_20150426_093751_368.jpg IMG_20150426_210953_988.jpg

27. mrconcdid

mrconcdid
    from Florida

So far here is the final stance, the bags are gone, I still have the 2 inch drop spindles in the front and 1/2 turn cut off the 14 inch speedway coil springs. I replaced the rear mono spring with a 3 inch drop spring pack from an s-10 truck, I can add blocks later if I need to, but it sits pretty good for now. The rear air bags were mounted on the front side of the axle, I may put them back on with just a single air line to the trunk they will act like traction bars , if the new spring pack can't handle the big block and axle wrap is to bad, while I was there I add a mini spool just for the fun of it, also all new ball joints and tie rods on the front end.
    Godspeed
    MrC.

IMG_20150516_162122_574.jpg

28. mrconcdid

mrconcdid
    from Florida

IMG_20150523_121004_090.jpg

Brought her out side for a little shake down run this Memorial Day. IMG_20150523_120841_033.jpg

chryslerfan55, Blase and engine138 like this.
  29. mrconcdid

mrconcdid
    from Florida

Wow, does time fly, I haven't touched the ol girl in so long, I wonder if she will remember me?
    Life has a way of turning days into years.......I plan on bringing her tomorrow am. Its time to get closer to finishing her up.
    MrC.

johnnyknuckles79 likes this.
  30. engine138

engine138
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Commack NY

old tread but awesome job