Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Rob Bobs 1932 truck part 2

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by rob bob, Nov 14, 2014.

1. rob bob

rob bob
    from Canyon TX

The bad:
    So that night at in the Top Golf parking lot I jumped I'm my truck to leave and the battery was almost dead so we just push started it and made it back to the apartment. The next day the battery had a charge on it and the truck started fine on the way to the show it died on me so I pulled over an tried to start it, the battery was dead again so we came to the conclusion the generator wasn't charging. Luckily my friend David was following behind me and he had an extra battery put it in started fine, checked it with a volt meter and it was jumping approximately from 12v. to 5v. at this point I just wanted to get to the show so we proceeded about half a mile down the road my truck would die then pick back up just cutting in an out. I later figured out the coil wire was loose fixed that and was able to make it to the show. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1491865751.183547.jpg

HelmuthBrothers likes this.
  2. rob bob

rob bob
    from Canyon TX

Finally got set up at the show it was great to see everyone, the LSRU gets bigger every year. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1491865938.863740.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1491865964.204900.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1491866101.117950.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1491866128.188218.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1491866149.265750.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1491866208.400577.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1491866246.067073.jpg

3. rob bob

rob bob
    from Canyon TX

The bad:
    So I have noticed the past few times I've driven my truck I noticed a lot of smoke coming out the drivers side exhaust and when I park it the next day there will be a small/medium size puddle of oil in the ground dripping from the exhaust dump pipe. So I'm positive I have a broke ring in the drivers side bank I also noticed the oil pressure at idle is rather low. So basically the motor has to come back out.

4. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Fabulous finished truck is worth an engine removal and revampment any day! So impressed with your metalsmithing, how'd you master it in such a short time?
    Took me all of my youth, 2 marriages, and more than a few hot rod builds.
    Love this little truck, miss mine. All I got are tubs and roadsters left.

5. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

6. rob bob

rob bob
    from Canyon TX

So this kinda puts me in between a rock and a hard place, the plan was after the Round-Up take it to the upholstery shop and let Troy Anderson finish out the inside leaving me with just a few small details and the truck would be done and on the road. I might have mentioned it before here on the HAMB I'm in the process of expanding my shop and getting a new paint booth, frame machine, and a few other pieces of equipment for my business all starting this spring. So as much as I hate to do it my hot rod for the first time is not a number one priority and I'm pushing it off the the side so I can focus on my new shop addition. I hope to continue work on it this winter I seriously did not see this coming and just feel I've been pushed to the absolute limit with this truck, it's time for a break. I'll do my best to keep everyone posted but for now this looks like a "to be continued build thread"

Tim_with_a_T and IowaMercMan like this.
  7. FoMoCo parts

FoMoCo parts

I was at the LSRU and saw it in person your truck is very fine truck!!!!!

8. Some time life gets in the way of hotrod fun.

9. Hey man, shit happens.
    The work you've done on this truck is outstanding and such a
    bitchin' finished product.
    Nothing wrong with taking a little break from it.

But really, it's just the engine.
    Some people don't "get" that , but it is.

Is it possible to yank the engine out before you push it to the side?
    Or maybe leave it together and line up another engine and do a weekend swap?
    You made the roundup, Congrats on that!
    My '33 was ready to go, but life had a different plan for me this year.

10. 51box

51box
    from MA

Man you did an outstanding job on this truck, that black paint looks a mile deep.

11. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

You nailed it GRASSHOPPER. Did you get a paint booth yet? Thanks for the ride, Frank

Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
  12. rob bob

rob bob
    from Canyon TX

Thanks, young grasshopper is still learning if I had it to do over it would turn out twice as good, I've learned alot during the paint and body process. Hope to start the dirt work for the addition in the next few weeks.

Sent from my LG-MS870 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

13. rob bob

rob bob
    from Canyon TX

14. Hi-Boy Pickups are not easy to get the right proportions, stance etc. You nailed it! Just right.:cool:

15. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

Looks good grasshoppers

16. Before you do anything with the engine, leak down all the cylinders. That will tell you almost as much as disassembly. If you need more info, send me a pm. Be glad to help.

17. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

Sorry to hear your motor problems, also understanding need to get the frame machine and paint booth. Isosinate poisoning is cumulative and the booth with fresh air system is the #1 priority. I have seen the affect of it on painters that I known.
    I have been thru what you are going thru with shop expansions, but I found a way to do both. A good friend of mine put me on this, first thing when you get to the shop work on your hot rod for 2 hours and then go to your customer pay jobs. You will find this rewarding and keep your fun project going. You can always work longer to get a customer job done, and you won't be too tired to work on yours.
    I had a project stalled for about 10 years, and talked to my good friend Ozz and asked how he got his built and he told me to work on it first thing in the morning and by the end of the week you would have put 10 hrs. In it. Worked for me. Frank

Jet96 likes this.
  18. mista

mista
    from Finland

Where did you find that clutch and brake master cylinder from? And the pedals.. are they DIY?

19. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

I just noticed your Louver pattern on the hood top I really like it. Frank

20. rob bob

rob bob
    from Canyon TX

Just a little off topic update, got the concrete done, shop frame done, and the booth up. I should have the sheet done in a few weeks. [​IMG]

Sent from my VS880 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

greaser, Jet96, charleyw and 2 others like this.
  21. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

How big is that sucker and wat brand did you buy. Did you get personal air supply for your health and safety. Looking good Frank

22. rob bob

rob bob
    from Canyon TX

I bought the booth used from a shop in Denton it's a 38lx10hx17w in other words it's a big bitch. I took 9ft out of the total length so it would fit in the shop better. Still trying to decide what kind of breathable air system I want but leaning twords the 3M. I hope to start working on my truck again this winter.

23. rob bob likes this.
  24. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

Looks like one of the booths from Champion Trailer.

25. rob bob

rob bob
    from Canyon TX

It came from a shop that only did bed liner, they had three booths two 38×10x17 and a massive truck booth I was told my booth new with the fire system was 17k new. The shop owner next door said that they wanted to downsize and moved to a smaller shop.

26. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

@rob bob -- Had you at one pointed mentioned building more of those headers? If so, I may be interested in a pair.

27. rob bob

rob bob
    from Canyon TX

Need to talk to Matt at geardrive I sold him the jig a few years back.

Malcolm likes this.
  28. rob bob

rob bob
    from Canyon TX

Truck is now up for sale if anyone is interested asking 35k call or text 806-488-2117 806-444-1131