Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Spalding Bros Repro, for "Too Tall" Ganahl.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Marty Strode, Jul 13, 2015.

1. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D That is looking real good.Looks like Mr G is fixing to have more fun that the law allows.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

loudbang likes this.
  2. Gofannon

Gofannon

They became less popular when it became more fashionable to take your hot rod to the local burger joint rather than the race track. Folk just don't fit in them anymore.

[​IMG]

3. BZNEIL

BZNEIL

Absolutely Beautiful!! What great craftsman ship!
    In any of your track roadster builds did you ever adapt a CAE/Halibrand torque ball housing on to the back of the '39 ford to use the sprint car torque ball/tube?
    Thanks for sharing this build!

volvobrynk and loudbang like this.
  4. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

In the 4 or so that I built using a closed drive-line, we used a stock Ford u-joint. I am sure the CAE torque ball would be stronger.

1947knuck and loudbang like this.
  5. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

WHAT!?:confused:

gas pumper and Tim like this.
  6. Gofannon

Gofannon

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

7. BZNEIL

BZNEIL

Thanks! I am working on a Watson roadster clone with a 39 box, would like to put the CAE torque ball on it to match the rest of the drive line better.

loudbang likes this.
  8. TerrytheK

TerrytheK
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nope, not yet! :D

volvobrynk, porkshop and loudbang like this.
  9. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I took the car to my favorite gathering today, the Portland Transmission Spring Classic. I knew it would be wet, so I took the precaution of double tarping it and taking my EZ Up. Despite the rain, there was a bright spot, a gentleman that follows along on this forum, brought a distributor for me to look at. He didn't want to sell it, but showed us the steps to convert a stock unit to work. He was quite knowledgeable and has a 39 Chevy coupe with a 270 Jimmy engine ! I had asked Pat's permission to take it, and warned of the wet conditions, he said, "take it, if it gets wet, wipe it dry !". Luck was on my side, it's home safe and sound. It was great to see some HAMB members present !!! IMG_7868.JPG IMG_0316.JPG IMG_0317.JPG IMG_0318.JPG IMG_0319.JPG IMG_0320.JPG IMG_0322.JPG IMG_0324.JPG

1947knuck, HEMI32, 302GMC and 9 others like this.
  10. Gofannon

Gofannon

Was the dizzy a Spalding unit or the guy's own version? What breaker plate was used?

11. Tim_with_a_T

Tim_with_a_T

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Good to see you and the car today, Marty! I took almost the same pictures as you haha. These two were a couple of my favorites, but that flamed '36 coupe is hard to beat.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

1947knuck, slv63, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  12. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Mike, I think it was a Spalding, I should be in touch with him again soon, and maybe I can take notes.

1947knuck, volvobrynk and loudbang like this.
  13. alchemy

alchemy

That distributor looks a lot like a HC Ducoil. I have a few V8 versions. Not sure what car the cap would have come off of originally, because I'd bet it wasn't a special made part to begin with. Did Nashes have fancy dual plug/coil six cylinders? That seems to sound familiar.

loudbang likes this.
  14. Gofannon

Gofannon

Nash twin coil twin plug six.

loudbang likes this.
  15. alchemy

alchemy

Marty, go down to NAPA and order up a cap and rotor for one of those Nashes, borrow that distributor as an example, and I bet you could wittle a copy up in a weekend.

loudbang likes this.
  16. Gofannon

Gofannon

17. Gofannon

Gofannon

I don't think there is much chance of NAPA having those caps, but if they do I'd like to know. They're out there but expect to pay a lot. You need the cam off the Nash distributor as well so the rotor will fit. It's an Autolite but it fits right on to the Delco shaft, just need to adapt the lugs for the advance springs. A twin point breaker plate is required. Knock 3 lobes off the cam.

Last edited: May 14, 2017
  18. clem

clem

How do you know this stuff ?

19. Gofannon

Gofannon

Old age and treachery. Well that, and I've got a Nash dizzy to play with.

20. protype

protype
    from Reno, NV

I have read that The Spauldings ran with a 5 or 6 carb manifold prior to converting to Hilborn but have never seen a picture. Anybody have info on this?

21. Gofannon

Gofannon

loudbang likes this.
  22. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Here is a shot with the 6 carb setup, Pat will fill in here, but I think they ran 3 carbs ( like Pat is using) on the ovals before switching to the injection. Spalding 6 carbs egine shot.jpg

23. protype

protype
    from Reno, NV

Thanks Marty,
    I assume this is what they ran at the Lakes.

24. pgan

pgan
    Member Emeritus

The Spaldings started as lakes racers, running several inventive cars. So when they built the track roadster, they ran it at El Mirage in '49, then took it to the first Bonneville that year (where they ended up loaning their engine to the City of Pasadena lakester). The six carbs were tried for top-end runs, only, and weren't successful--way too much for a 248-inch six. You can see the three holes in the hood bubble for the three BXOV2 carbs they ran quite successfully on the track. And that's what was on the car when it appeared on Hot Rod's cover in Feb. 1950. That was also what came with my engine when I got it: an early Wayne manifold with three BXOV2 carbs. So that's what I'm using. It will also be more drivable.
    I spent the day today enlarging my oil pan. Will finish the oil system tomorrow. Pictures at Eleven.
    Pat G.

HEMI32, volvobrynk, brad2v and 3 others like this.
  25. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

6_carbs.jpg

Here's another 6 carb setup for a 12 port. As you can see its not the same 6 carb intake.

Unfortunately its not mine.

Makes me wonder how many different types of intake manifolds were made for 12 port heads.

26. protype

protype
    from Reno, NV

Good view of the fuel log.

27. protype

protype
    from Reno, NV

28. protype

protype
    from Reno, NV

Pat, are you going to use the Chrysler full flow oil filter?

29. protype

protype
    from Reno, NV

Since you have built a bracket for one I assume you are going to at least use the canister. I assume the Casing came with the boxes of parts you got when purchasing the engine. If so it may have had modifications to the line connection and fittings to suit the installation. Some as of late are installing modern spin on filter adapters in the vintage canisters to maintain the "look". I have seen an installation many years ago(1955)on a Chevy 6 dirt car. but the rest in pictures in magazines. I was interested just how easy it was to use one of these filters.

loudbang likes this.
  30. pgan

pgan
    Member Emeritus

What I Did This Weekend

I was going to take the Iacono dragster to Eagle Field to run, but it's still under plastic taped to the floor because I'm supposed to be painting Bill's Riviera (I did get once last coat of primer on it). But I wanted to get the oil pump/oil lines/pan situation figured out and done on the Wayne Chevy. First I determined that the pump with the flat bottom plate that came with my engine is from a 228 GMC (as Wayne used), and mine was in excellent condition. The problem is it's longer and a bit wider than the Chevy pump.
    You saw the stock 216 Chev oil pan I cut the dipper throughs out of a page back. I was going to make it 1" deeper, but Marty said there's only 10" clearance from the engine pan rail to the ground, and the pan is 7-1/2" deep. That's 2-1/2" of ground clearance, which is already marginal on a dirt car. So I decided to elongate the lowest hump to clear the pump and whatever pickup I devised. It would have been much easier if I had a second pan to cut sections from, but I didn't. Here's how it started.

wmd064.JPG

wmd065.JPG

Did somebody mention crude welding? You can only do so much with a MIG. But halfway through I went and got a new adjustable self-darkening helmet, which helped much.

wmd067.JPG
    View attachment 3540383
    Next I had to section the middle hump 2" for more pump clearance.

wmd068.JPG
    wmd069.JPG
    After forming a lower pan extension and two small side patches, the patchwork pan looked like this. I'd recommend doing this work with the pan bolted to a spare block, but I didn't have an extra one handy (and didn't want to work on my clean assembled one).

wmd071.JPG
    wmd072.JPG
    After grinding welds and trial-fitting the pan, I found I still had to make a small "side-pocket" to clear the bigger pump, so the pan looked like this. Note the two original baffles, which I kept in place.

wmd073.JPG
    wmd075.JPG
    Then I formed and added a third baffle to make a pocket around the pump.

wmd076.JPG

Then I found a place to make oil lines to my specs. This was their first attempt at a 1/2-inch rubber flex hose for the pump. But, first, it was too much monkey business and, second, I was afraid the A-N elbow (red aluminum piece) might break.

wmd077.JPG
    So, using the rt. angle brass fitting that came with the pump, and a shorter hose with 3/8 NPT ends (one swivel flare), this was the simpler 2nd try.
    wmd078.JPG

wmd079.JPG

Finally, I really wanted a pickup with some sort of screen, but pump-to-pan clearance is minimal. So I used one end of a Ford V8 pickup to make this short, angle-cut pickup tube similar to the 228 GMC seen in Wayne catalogs. Now I can clean up, repaint, and install the pan (for first oil pump test). After turning the engine back upright, I can install the (2nd try) hoses I had make to hook up the Mopar oil filter.
    I'm still afraid this might be too much information. Let me know if so.
    Cheers, Pat