Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 53 Ford mild custom build

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Rand Man, Apr 20, 2017.

1. Sorry Rand Man, I misunderstood you. My apologies. I get where your coming from now (little slow at times). Yes a modern module system would be awesome but I am unaware of any. On another note, the carpet looks good. Cheers

2. Rand Man

Rand Man

It's cool. I just bought a Chevy Mallory dual point YC distributor on the Bay. It will go to Bubba.

Oops. That brings up another question. So now a 12v conversion is mandatory? I'm kicking myself for poor planning.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. I may be mistaken but I don't think the distributer cares what the voltage is?

4. Correct @cactus1 all my flathead cars that are 12V have all stock ignition components except coil obviously

cactus1 likes this.
  5. Rand Man

Rand Man

6. Rand Man

Rand Man

I got more done on the upholstery. A layer of cloth goes over the springs, then foam, then more cloth. [​IMG][​IMG]

7. Rand Man, I know you mentioned '56 headlight rings but I found this one that appears to have '55's on it.
    Thought it might give an idea of the look:
    [​IMG]

8. Rand Man

Rand Man

9. Rand Man

Rand Man

I have torched out the original front springs. I think I have heard that the new Aerostar springs will just slide right in. A friend with experience says I will have to take the suspension apart. Any advice?

I'm almost ready to put the original intake manifold back on, and rebuild the carb. My great idea to swap in the four barrel has snowballed into a lot more trouble. My plan was to buy a running car and just drive it. The carb was leaking terrible, so I thought an upgrade was easy. Now I see I have to update the distributor also. I have sent a distributor core to Bubba, but it will take a while to get back. Any advice on rebuilding the stock carb? I would like to just bolt on a replacement, but if I don't get the right one = more trouble. I can complete the four barrel deal when I have a distributor in hand.

Last edited: May 12, 2017
    48fordnut likes this.
  10. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

On the 4 bbl get an adapter and use a late model 4 bbl. More good choices.

11. Rand Man

Rand Man

Oh, I have the modern Holley four barrel and adaptor, it's the distributor change that is a pain. I understand now that the original "Load-a-magic" distributor will not work with anything but the stock carb. I'll just wait a few weeks for a modified distributor.

I didn't accomplish jack-shit today. I have some health problems that make me exhausted. It may be several weeks before I absolutely need the new dizzy to drive anyway.

12. Rand Man

Rand Man

I'm going with 55 Plymouth grill pieces. Left half came in today. This photo from the H.A.M.B. Proves 57 Chevy headlights could be an option. [​IMG]

Sum54ford, kiwijeff, JUNK ROD and 3 others like this.
  13. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

I always thought the Ply grill looked good.

14. lanny haas

lanny haas
    from Phoenix AZ

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    This is a 55 Chevy grill protector bar that set on top of the bumper guards on a stock Chevy bumper.

Oldkrow and Sum54ford like this.
  15. Make sure you also get the original Plymouth mounting brackets for the grill. Makes installing in the Ford much easier.

16. Rand Man

Rand Man

Lanny, I like that grill bar. Clean and simple is hard to beat.

No, I should have known there was a trick to a simple install. Mine may be a little different anyway. I'm using the center of my original Ford grill.

17. Rand Man

Rand Man

I haven't accomplished anything around here lately. I have a mix of good and bad news. I have a brain aneurism. Doc says "it's big and gnarly". Good news, they found it by chance, before it burst. I got the good news last week that they can fix it without cutting open my head! Praise God for the technology and skilled Indian doctors we have today!

Bad news is that I have had to wait a week. Thursday morning is the surgery. I saw the detailed scan that they took last Monday. I'm not particularly interested in waiting. I told the doc that I work in the engineering field, and could tell any pipe with a bulge like that was ready to blow. The truth is that this thing has been growing for several years to get like this. The chances of it bursting in the next few days are pretty slim. I have to keep my outlook up and my blood pressure low. Smart doctors have me on some new blood pressure medicine. I feel better already. The failing artery in my head doesn't show any symptoms. It's by the grace of god this was found at all. I have a feeling I will be healing.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

18. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Be praying for you man, that's some crazy stuff but it sounds like it's been caught in time

Corvette Fever and Rand Man like this.
  19. Thoughts and prayers....
    Thank God they discovered it in time!

Rand Man likes this.
  20. Rand Man

Rand Man

Thanks guys. My blood pressure was out of control for several years. Exhausted all the time. I fainted about three weeks ago. That prompted the CAT scan. The ER says "we just found a little spot you may want to have looked at". The surgeon didn't give me any bullshit. I respect him for that.

catdad49 and Peanut 1959 like this.
  21. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sorry to hear about your medical problems. As said, it was good to find it before something else happened. I had a similar experience last fall. During a routine checkup they found out I had a clogged artery in my heart. Further tests found it was over 90% restricted. I had a stent put in to solve the problem. I was lucky; most people have a heart attack to tell them about a clogged artery. The way it went for me, the whole affair was just a minor inconvenience. I hope things turn out as well for you.

I hope you'll be back on your feet soon; I'd like to see how this turns out. I have an interest in flathead 4BBL's and collect the manifolds. I like the earlier ones; so far I have a Sharp, Edmunds, and Fenton. I also try to have at least one old carb for each of them. I have some Rochester "4-Jets" and a WCFB. Good cores are getting harder to find all of the time. In that vein, if you're not going to use the "Teapot" I might be interested in it because I don't have one of those.

Lou kriger and Rand Man like this.
  22. Rand Man

Rand Man

Thanks tubman, glad you're ok. At this point, I'm actually more worried about having to lie still for four hours. I have this old injury in my shoulder. Hard to stay awake and very still all that time.
    Old Wolf may still have that teapot. I decided to go with a modern Holley 390 instead. I had one that was supposed to be NOS. wouldn't stop leaking. Your results may vary. The car is on hold for a bit anyway, until GMC Bubba can complete my new Chevy distributor conversion. If I would have realized about the Ford Load-a-Matic distributor, vacuum-only deal, I would have just rebuilt the stocker, and maybe been on the road.

23. Randy -- Sorry to hear about your diagnosis but glad it was found in time to deal with it. Best of luck on your upcoming procedure.

Mike.

Rand Man likes this.
  24. Sorry to hear about your health issues but glad you found out in time. Thoughts & prayers will be with you. We'll all be waiting when you're ready to get back on this.

Rand Man likes this.
  25. mikhett

mikhett
    from jackson nj

GOOD LUCK!GOD IS GOOD!

Lou kriger and Rand Man like this.
  26. Mr. Mac

Mr. Mac

I'm Pulling for you Randy, I know you will come out of this dilemma with flying colors.

Rand Man likes this.
  27. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

I had a '52 Ford one time long ago..
    Always liked the lines of it.
    Nice find and good luck !!

28. I ve got a flathead Mallory dual point in my hoard. I think it was my dads he used on a 51 ford back in the day.

Rand Man likes this.
  29. jerry martin

jerry martin

Hello everyone! I haven't been on here for quite a while and I've missed itt. I went to the Hot Rod Power Tour in St. Louis today and I saw a car with a Jalopy Journal sticker that reminded me. I have to get one of my grand kids to help me put pictures on here.I have a 53 Ford 4dr that I've had for 43 years. About 30 years ago we customized it. Dorr handles, hood, and trunk are shaved. Hood corners are rounded, Head lights and tail lights are frenched, has a 55 Pontiac front and rear bumper that are painted. The car is painted white with red flames. I'll get pictures on as soon as I can. If anyone needs any help with info about the 53s feel free to ask me.

30. Sorry to hear, Glad they found it. No surgery is a true blessing. My brother had 3, one ruptured, he almost didn't make it.
    The surgery changed his whole personality, lost my best HotRod pal, he couldn't care less about them now.
    That was in 1995, didn't show up on any scans at all.
    Progress is a great thing in this case. All the best to you.