Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features "Snoopy" Model A Hot Rod Survivor

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Denns1989, Sep 8, 2014.

1. Thanks for the kind words Dave, very happy that's Snoopy's story has influenced you in this way ! You have a very, very nice find - and you are the right caretaker - I like where your project is headed !

2. RustyDogg

RustyDogg

3. I gave Martin the original owner of Snoopy a call last week to say hello & ask if they had ever come across any old photos of Snoopy when he owned it (he had told me there might be a few in storage somewhere awhile back..) - He told me I should drop in for a visit next time I was in town... I dropped in, we had a beer & I left with these three :) Very, very excited to have them, so far the earliest I had was 1967, now I have 2 that are print dated 1963 but Martin thinks they might have been taken in 1962 as they are "in progress" pictures - not plated, no grill insert, roller tires, partially finished interior & voltage regulator is still on the firewall not tucked away under the dash... also still had an oil filter at this point, the other is a rear shot from 1964, looks like I got the exhaust tips the way he had them originally !

Original Owner Martin posing with his creation
    martin_build.jpg
    Another view of the "in progress" - Almost done Snoopy - taken at Martin's parents farm where the car was built..

009.jpg
    And finally a shot from 1964 when the car was obviously roadworthy & showing the same bia plys that were on it when I pulled it out of the garage in 2014 ha ha

001.jpg
    I feel so very fortunate to have these, like Martin said, "we didn't take many pictures back then"...

WC145, AHotRod, Woogeroo and 26 others like this.
  4. Robert Crosse

Robert Crosse
    from WNY

:cool: Just keeps getting better & better!!! :cool:

Bob

Denns1989 likes this.
  5. crusty&rusty

crusty&rusty

I like that first shot of Martin and his new hot rod.

6. ha ha Thanks, Original Owner is still trying to locate the "parade picture" that shows him & the builder in the car during community day parade that's the one he knows for sure should still be around somewhere... also the 2nd owner's wife has recently promised to dig up the pictures they have so I can make copies, these would be from 1965-67... so there may be a few good shots left to share yet !

Stogy and dwollam like this.
  7. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D My.my.All kinds of sweet treasures coming to light.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

Denns1989 likes this.
  8. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

More Great History, You are so Lucky to be the care taker! Gary:)

Denns1989 likes this.
  9. Jungle Jalopy

Jungle Jalopy

Super cool.

Denns1989 likes this.
  10. AKGrouch

AKGrouch

That's great and just more documentation and provenance for the car.

Denns1989 likes this.
  11. That's cool!
    When did you move to Thessalon?

Denns1989 likes this.
  12. Your comment got me thinking... here is a comparison, same car, same guy - just 52 years apart !

010.jpg
    martin.jpg

WC145, AHotRod, 210superair and 15 others like this.
  13. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

WOW they both have aged really well! Gary:D

rodncustomdreams and Denns1989 like this.
  14. Officially last November.., unofficially almost 2 Years ago :) - lots of good spots for photo opportunity's like 2 nights ago.
    20170511_195845.jpg

15. NashRodMan

NashRodMan

Awesome picture.

Denns1989 likes this.
  16. Ever since I seen the old car show "signboard" the previous owner had made for Snoopy back in the 60's I had wanted a signboard that would highlight Snoopy's story, with a "nod" to the old signboard's style... - my cousin Melissa is a talented artist but had never ventured on freehanding a signboard, with a bit of coaxing she accepted my request, needless to say she surpassed my expectations ! - the blank squares will house some old pictures and possibly the "as found" in the bottom frame, but I couldn't wait to share it, just got it this afternoon. Blown away by her talent !

20170630_162005.jpg
    And compared with original inspiration on the left :
    20170630_162044.jpg
    The "Snoopy" looks more white on the new one but that's just the photo, not sure why the camera washed it like that..

WC145, Woogeroo, Hivolt5.0 and 21 others like this.
  17. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

18. dwollam

dwollam

Wow! That's a really nice addition. Plus it will help having to tell the story every time someone sees it. Unless of course you are like me and can't shut up when talking about our old cars!

Dave
    p.s. Dennis,I have started working on my 29AV8 sedan again to get it ready to take to Bonneville.

volvobrynk and Denns1989 like this.
  19. I'm not one to sit behind my car & yes if you do catch me I don't shut up as well, the big reason for this sign is the reality that most people at the local car show are not "HAMB" types & have no idea what they are looking at... but the majority appreciate the car once they know it's story, this sign will help explain why I haven't painted it or installed a fuel injected LS motor...

WC145, tfeverfred, brad2v and 8 others like this.
  20. dwollam

dwollam

Yep, we have alot of those, "nice car, when ya gonna paint/finish it?" kind of people around here.

Dave

21. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Nailed it!

hendelec and Denns1989 like this.
  22. Love the sign! I have talked to a very talented friend of mine about making one for my newly acquired roadster once I nail down all the specifics!

Fern 54, brad2v, volvobrynk and 3 others like this.
  23. Robert Crosse

Robert Crosse
    from WNY

Ya gotta have a car show board!!!

fullsizeoutput_1491.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_1413.jpeg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 1, 2017
  24. greaser

greaser

Love the sign. Very talented Lady.
    I'll bet she could be very busy with just us guys on the HAMB if she advertised.

WC145, Denns1989 and Mikel50 like this.
  25. Agreed ! , funniest thing is she originally turned me down, said " I don't think I could do a good enough job"... I convinced her otherwise ;-)

WC145 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  26. catdad49

catdad49

Tell Melissa (also the name of my younger daughter) that this is Fantastic! Have confidence in her talent and ability, she will surprise herself. You should be proud to display this.

chryslerfan55 and Denns1989 like this.
  27. slowmotion

slowmotion

^^^^Yep! She's not only a talented artist, she is now officially a talented sign painter! Very nice work!

razoo lew and Denns1989 like this.
  28. Update !! - Finally got the car out to meet Don, the guy mentioned above, started raining but whatever - had a great visit & he got to show his wife the "one that got away" he was tickled to see it again -
    He was almost the 3rd owner... if he had been able scrape up a couple hundred more bucks back in 1966/67 !
    20170713_165320.jpg

WC145, AHotRod, Woogeroo and 9 others like this.
  29. That's great!

Denns1989 likes this.
  30. catdad49

catdad49

This story just gets better and better! Thanks

Denns1989 likes this.