Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 1957 Cadillac Eldorado Seized Engine Removal

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by logic2, May 9, 2017.

1. logic2

logic2

Thanks for all the feedback

The manifold arrived today.
    It has a casting # of: 1464580

I'll have it blasted and inspect it for cracks.

Thx

2. Rocket Man 57

Rocket Man 57

The engine in my 57 olds was stuck in a similar way, sitting and exposed to moisture. I was able to separate the engine and trans by pulling it as an assembly then taking the oil pan off. I unbolted the rods from the crank until I found which one was stuck. This allowed me to turn the crank about 3/4 of the way around which was enough to unbolt all of the flywheel bolts w/o bending anything. Just a tip for the next guy with a stuck motor. If you can get the pan off with the engine in the car, you don't have to pull the trans that way.

rod1 likes this.
  3. carbking

carbking

Just a suggestion:

Since your car is a VERY NICE 1957 and the intake you acquired is a 1956 with the "square" footprint, maybe clean up the intake and try to swap it to someone for a 1957 single manifold and carb. Rebuild the single carb and get the engine running. Now time is your friend to search for the correct 1957 manifold and carbs. You are going to spend many dollars getting either genuine 1956 carbs (or 1955) OR more dollars, trying to make non-original carbs fit that manifold and work. And in the long run, you probably are going to want a genuine 1957 setup, so the investment in the 1956 stuff is like going to Las Vegas, but less fun!

And should you ignore the suggestion above, a pair of 1952, 1953, or 1954 Stromberg Aeroquads will probably be the easiest and in the long run, least expensive to make function fairly well, on that manifold. If you go this route, make sure you use two from the same year. Two carbs, kits, carb modifications, fuel lines, linkage, etc. none of which will be useful on a 1957, can probably be done for somewhat less than $2k. Air cleaner(s) not included in this estimate. If you absolutely must have something newer than the Strombergs, then look at Carter 9400s or 9410s AFB carbs, which are 400 CFM each.

EDIT: Just re-read this post, the Aeroquads were used by Buick.

Jon.

Last edited: May 11, 2017
    logic2, clunker and Hnstray like this.
  4. logic2

logic2

Thanks for the feedback. I'll reread and digest the info and decide the best route.

Just inspected the intake carefully and there does not appear to be any cracks or damage of any kind.

I do see something wrong with this picture though.

Thanks again for the alternatives. IMG_5836.JPG

5. I'm assembling a '57 Brougham that underwent a semi-restoration, a completely original 30,000 mile car sitting since the 1970's. I'll be taking "after" photos soon.

1957 Cadillac Brougham 27.jpg

1957 Cadillac engine.jpg

1957 Caddy 16-12-17 g.JPG

Hubnut and clunker like this.
  6. o_OAnything new and shiny is obviously much better than something old and dirty ;)

Jon.[/QUOTE]

I disagree myself,I am old and dirty and are obviously much better than new shit!o_O

clunker likes this.