Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Gauges

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 325w, May 10, 2017.

1. So if your sorta a cheap type, if you could by a new old set of Classic are a set of Autometer gauges. Which set would you buy. Same price.

2. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Chrome Classic

3. squirrel

squirrel

I'm a sorta cheap type, I bought some new SW gauges for my last one (a few years ago). They work and look all right. But I was building something that had to look 1960s so no way would Autometer gauges look right in it.

mgtstumpy and Hombre like this.
  4. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Positive about that ? [​IMG]

kmrumedy likes this.

5. squirrel

squirrel

they say Autometer on them. Don't look right.

6. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I think those Autometers look swell. what doesn't look right is a vintage SW that no longer reads accurately.

KoolKat-57 likes this.
  7. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

And you'd be correct. The needles are white. Since this is thread is about the "cheap". I was faced with "do I spend another 3, 4 bills on another set of gauges or go cheap ?" Best $20 a gauge to see the expression on peoples faces but I can't please everyone.

8. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Gauges tell you what's going on with your engine. I'd try to get the best I could. Looks would be a close second thought.

Bandit Billy and hrm2k like this.
  9. Yeah I Ike the 53-4 gauges. But the temp gauge will not reach the front of the intake. Fuel an oil will be fine. I could just not wire the amp. The sets of gauges I asked about are complete for $150. I just don't want the temp gauge under the dash.

10. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Do you know that a 56 Chevy temp gauge is electric ? How good are you at trying a conversion ? [​IMG] [​IMG]

11. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

12. Yeah I've thought about that. I can get old ones and try them first before trying a good one.
    Like the stainless that's on the 53-4 and the clock delete.

13. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

In the end there's only one person to please.
    [​IMG]

14. Brand Apart

Brand Apart
    from Roswell GA

I'm probably just stupid here but I don't understand how the gauge "won't reach the front of the intake" I know if they are electric gauges you make the wire the length you need, on mechanical gauges can't you use whatever length of sending unit tube (or whatever the termonlogy is)? Somebody school me

15. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

What looks like a wire surrounded be a coil of wire is actually a tube that connects to the temp probe and it contains a gas that expands with heat. It work's something like a mechanical oil pressure gauge if that helps you understand how it works and is why you can not cut and add to it unless done by a gauge rebuilding service.

16. Yes Sir you can measure and send the gauge to companies that will add the longer tube. Car had a six. Now it's a V8 the tube is about a foot short now. I'll look closer at the 56 gauge.

17. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

I like the fact that you used the word "swell" in a sentence!
    And you're right about gauges, if they don't work properly, then they are nothing more than ornamentation! USELESS!
    KK

18. Any inaccurate gauge is better than an "idiot" light. If a gauge is off by 10-15% it doesn't really matter so long as it provides a reference to what "normal" is. This ain't rocket surgery, folks!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

19. Actually an idiot light will tell you if a diode is bad. A voltmeter will not.

20. Age of the gauge does not it's accuracy make.

21. J D Coop

J D Coop

I'm fine with modern gauges. My car is a driver. It won't win any car shows and I pretty much have it the way I want it.
    autometer.JPG
    No, they don't match the original gauges. If I were going for a restoration it wouldn't have a SBC either.

22. My 36 Ford used 59 Chevy speedo fuel and temp in the 36 bezels. Idiot lites for the oil and alt

23. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

interesting grain on the dash.what timber is it

24. KKrod

KKrod

In my experience the Autometer and Classic gauges both are good in quality. Just depends on what styling you prefer.

25. J D Coop

J D Coop

I believe the dash is original factory paint. It was available on the deluxe models and, as I understand it, the rough grain pattern was rolled on over a brown base and factory artists touched them up by hand.

26. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

very nice job it had me fooled from afar.

27. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

At $320 the set, how are Autometers 'cheap'?
    Sunpro are cheap, not a good 'legacy' for the original company ('SUN') they evolved from... Mechanical temp gauges (2 of them) lasted less than a year each... Wife Joey saw the Auto Meter set and bought it for me. The speedo had to be ordered 'after', as the one in the set was 2-5/8. Special order 3-3/8 was an add'tl $160.

Really didn't want offshore S/W Wings, as my U.S. Autometers have convex glass and metal-etched arrows for indicators... Warranty is great, but the $$! Youch!