Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Driving your hot rod at night.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Apr 9, 2017.

1. Last edited: Apr 10, 2017
  2. At my age, I just try to avoid driving at night in any car. When someone with annoying lights pulls up close behind, I just start slowing down, more and more, until the vehicle passes. The cataracts are really a fairly minor problem for daytime driving.

3. Called to order a Trunk Monkey. Apparently they are no longer available. Bummer!

4. mike bowling

mike bowling

I've got a Model A coupe with ALL flat glass- driving at night is like being in the "fun house" full of mirrors!

Trunk Monkey??

5. So maybe get all tinted windows for the A?

MUNDSTER and mike bowling like this.
  6. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

my solution,modify a modern mirror to suit your needs.non reflective vw golf 03 mirror.non reflective black day/night model.usually sticks to the windscreen.now sticks and bolts to a bracket instead.bolts to two original overhead screws.no extra drilling required.not made in china but germany /modified in ireland.quality product and replacements readily available.i think it also helps to fit an alternator and modern /bulbs /lenses so you can speed up a little because you can see where you are goingbracket needs a shot of paint in the pic.tint the rear winrow makes sense as well[​IMG]

7. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't know about Japan but when I was a young man of 20 I lived in Abilene, TX where I was going to college. Myself and friends were sitting in our favorite pizza joint on 1st street one evening watching the cruisers slide by when this kid in a lifted 4X4 started flashing his KC's at oncoming cars just for something to do on a hot summer night. A Ranger parked at the intersection got out of this patrol car, held up one hand to hold the truck at the light, walked around the front of the vehicle, without speaking to the driver pulled out his night stick, swung up on the running board and bashed out the two highlighters on the drivers side of the roll bar then proceeded to the passenger side and repeated the instant and inarguable justice. He then returned to his car without a word spoken, problem solved.
    I was thinking about that Ranger the other night while trying to adjust my mirror on the Nova. :cool:

shawnsauto1, jw179251 and pat59 like this.
  8. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

My problems are all summed up in one phrase " arrested for driving while blind " happened years ago never leaves you !

9. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Chevy car/truck. Now, if someone knows the thread size and pitch of the shaft.

10. I have smoke tint and reflections are still pretty bad.

pat59 likes this.
  11. was just.....going thru HRP's posts......at night........

12. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

I like that movie! Damn that was funny! Only thing better than guns, is more horsepower!

Sent from my XT1585 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

13. Living in the south (Texas) there are some good reasons to add tint to car windows. But tint sure does make it hard to see OUT those same windows at night. You can't see details and backing up is a lesson in braille. Like most things, you're given one thing but something else is taken away. "There's no such thing as a free lunch."

14. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

15. Model A Vette

Model A Vette

I switched to a small day/night mirror on my roadster. I believe it was from a Vega or Monza. It is narrow. I think it is 8 inches wide. The only down side is that it is the type that glues to the windshield. That was ok for me as the previous stock model a mirror vibrated badly and the windshield mounted one does not.
    I had a car with a period mirror I would think about removing the day/night glass from a modern mirror and mount it in the stock frame. You could then just move the mirror to take advantage of the night feature.

16. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

That's a 53 caddy unit.I have one in my coupe. works really well.... I don't mind driving at night...But around my parts it's Deer at night that are the true killers......

17. Same here! Lots of deer, and now they are texting as well!:p

LOST ANGEL and Jeff Norwell like this.
  18. I'll try something like that. I'd rather drive at night in the summer too. Cooler and less cars on the road.

19. Ralph Moore

Ralph Moore

Luckily the summers up here don't have it if darkness to worry about.
    But I have taped cardboard in the back window on late trips home in the fall.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

20. jeffd1988

jeffd1988

I'm not sure if they have the day/night version of what you posted a pic of. But how about tinting the miror with window tint.

Sent from my Z981 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

21. hotrodmano

hotrodmano
    from Norway

There are roll curtains available for small rearwindows like model A' s and deuces. It wss an available accessory back then. Not only is the glare in the mirror a problem but also the front windshield is a problem at night and in tunnels. Im going to make me a roll down.

Sent from my SM-G930F using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

22. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Back in the '60s, no one had a CHL.

23. MUNDSTER

MUNDSTER

Ya I have the same mirror and I like the hat trick. I just use my hand and squint a lot. My other trucks have the same problem, however I just like the plain simple old mirrors so I live with the glare. Rainy nights are the worst, but it's so much to drive my old junk on a regular basis that I just deal with it and keep smiling

24. The sedans came with a pull down shade over the back window. it took me about 10 minutes to find a small reversible 12v rotary motor on ebay. I'm going to hook up a switch up front that'll lower and raise the shade over the window.

I did once build a OT car with a windshield washer bottle in the trunk, complete with pump. Squirters on the back bumper and couldnt even be seen. It's as safe as water, but it will slow someone down while they fumble with the wiper switch.

25. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I just pull over and let them drive by. I do this in my daily driver even in the day time if someone is too close. I just pull over by the curb let them pass and continue on my way.
    I've also driven pickups for years and when I come up behind a car at a light and see I'm shining into their car I shut my lights down to the parking ones until the light turns green. I get hand waves for doing this.
    It's called courtesy, I learned it from my dad. Too bad it's not practiced very much any more.

26. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I just move my mirror and reflect the light back to the assholes.

Back in my youth, my brother had a nice '68 Impala. His pet peeve was driver coming at them with their brights on. His solution was a hand held spot light that plugged into the lighter. Man, he'd flip that thing on at the oncoming car and they'd get the message REAL quick.

27. toml24

toml24

Several weeks ago while driving late at night I came upon a mid-1960's pickup on the freeway. The pickup was painted black, had a pair of ultra-low power rear driving lights that were the size a silver dollar, and the driver thought it was OK to drive about 10MPH below the speed limit. It was an effort just to keep the pickup in my sights, and finally I had to pull out and pass him. I don't understand the wisdom of driving a car or truck at night that clearly should never be on the road when the sun goes down.