Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Do you remember who you bought your first project from?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, May 7, 2017.

1. While I was roaming the rain soaked grounds of Knoxville's Chilhowee park I spotted a very old friend and his wife sitting in their rod trying to stay dry and I stopped to say Hi.

It seems he has had some health problems in the last few years and wasn't going to risk getting pneumonia in all the damp and cold.

As we were talking his wife ask how we knew each other and I told her we met in Gatlinburg, Tennessee back in the early 70's and he told me about a Model A pickup he had for sale,I bought it the next week.

Tony has had a lot of nice hot rods & customs and he also has a cool Buick Gentleman's hot rod. HRP

042.JPG
    041.JPG

els, Kan Kustom, ladyhrp and 9 others like this.
  2. I bought my first project, 56 Handyman wagon, from my friend, back around 1980. He received it from his grandfather a few years before that. His grandfather was a race car and auto mechanic in the Rockingham, NC area. My friend sold the engine and transmission out of it earlier to another freind of ours for his 57 BelAir. It was a stout 350 with T400 behind it.

els, wicarnut, ladyhrp and 4 others like this.
  3. 63 rambler classic bought from my first real boss. Engine was locked up from overheating and I never got around to finding another, my dad got a bug to clean up the place and sold it for junk without asking me if I wanted to keep it. The prick never even offered me the money he got for it. (probably $10 back then)

els, wicarnut, ladyhrp and 3 others like this.
  4. yes...turned the key....and it started up......that Stude's for me.....did have to fix the trannie though.....it was a black plate Cali truck that made it to Texas in the early 70's......where it stopped I guess.... DH000005.jpg

5. 3banjos

3banjos
    from NZ

Swapped me ol' Dodge for the 36 coupe with a local back in 79. He's still got the dodge, but some wally unsold the coupe. Hope you clicked the lens on some of the other cool rides there Danny.

6. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

My first car in 1976 was from a deceased estate with only 60k original miles since 1948. I sold it in 1983 with only 66K miles. I've seen photos of it since then and it has changed a lot; a new drivetrain and paint scheme however I still recognise it.

7. GasserTodd

GasserTodd

Bought my first t bucket project when I was 17 of the younger brother of the "R" in R& H Motors in New Plymouth back in 1976.

Cost $240 and was a perimeter chassis, a fibre body, a 10 bolt Chev diff and two 15*10 rear tyres which had buggered sidewalls and were not street legal

8. 32 4door

32 4door

Bought my 50 Oldsmobile off my uncle (dago88) when I was 15 . We later done a deal and part traded it and got a 56 Oldsmobile 88 off him ...

9. Rockysfirstshubox1.jpg I bought my 50 ford crestliner out of the paper from Joe Dirt in Prineville, Oregon. I swear this guy looked like Joe Dirt. Got it for $50 and my parents drove the tow car, the family 55 olds super 88. We towed the car the 19 [or so] miles back to our town with a chain. Hell, I'd didn't even get my license 'till the next day.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2017
    els, 3W JOHN, wicarnut and 5 others like this.
  10. The37Kid

The37Kid

1926 T Tudor on my 16th birthday in 1966 from Johnny Johnson, $220.00 and he delivered it. It was so rough that when I sold it it had become a 1927 Touring. I thought the buyer would finish the restoration but he passed on and the car got parted out. The body was on a TROG racer a few years ago. Bob

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 8, 2017
    els, Stogy, wicarnut and 4 others like this.
  11. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Just seeing this thread this am,I smiled {timing n life thing} this passed sat. "Way Back Story"; I was headed back home from looking at a used Dodge Magnum o7 to buy ,but didn't cuz it was not wroth my gas to get there turned out. Most of us have done that,add 4 car was a story of super wishfull thinking by seller. So just riding home I look over an see I'm about to pass the same used car lot,were I bought my Henry J .
    In late 1960,amazed its still a car lot in 2017,so for fun,I drove in an parked. Ya its way newer cars now, an many lot names later,but its the same place on earth. The sales office got dolled up a lot too,but same spot. I walked on in ,with no one but me an the young salesman { about 24years old} in the hole place. Told him I got a Henry J from this lot in 1960! "What is a Henry J ?" he replys,an looks it up on his lap top. Nice kid,had some fun BSing for around 20 min. an headed the rest of way home.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2024
    els, wicarnut, ladyhrp and 5 others like this.
  12. sunbeam

sunbeam

I bought a 40 delux coup when I tried to talking the old man down he said " I've got another guy looking at it he's going to make an antiquey out of it. I drove the car home but it was only 23 years old at the time.

13. olcurmdgeon

olcurmdgeon

Nothing an old guy likes to do more than remember the "good ol' days". My first project was 1961. Fresh out of high school and a failed try at college life, I was pumping gas at local Mobil station. A friend told me that Ross Welding, shop in town that sponsored a '37 Chevy NASCAR coupe running at Agawam, MA (#19), had their engine mule for sale. It was a '47 Ford tudor that had rudimentary engine mounts which were two pieces of angle iron welded to front crossmember to take the early Chev V8 timing cover motor mounts, along with an adaptor Chevy to early Ford. They used to put new motors for the race car in it and have the mule push the welding truck up and down Route 9 to break in the motors. Sold me the car for $50, no engine, sad tires, decrepit interior. Went to Volce Auto Salvage on Rt 9G and bought a '57 Chev V8 standard shift motor and flywheel. Rebuilt the motor (a first for me that took a lot of questions of Gordon at the weld shop who was kind enough to answer them all) , back then there was a Chevrolet dealer in Albany, NY that had a 24 hour parts dept for the racers and such. Got a Duntov cam for as I remember $30, solid lifters. My first project and first hot rod when I finished it (so to speak, no paint, same sad interior, big and little used tires from the station where I worked, red rims, missing grille and front bumper and woefully in need of good shocks). But it was an early Ford with a Chevy in it and it was on the street.

14. metalman

metalman

First "project" I bought was from a lady I worked with at a Piggly Wiggly while in high school. OT 68 Barracuda she had bought new but had thrown a rod. Even though it was only 5 years old at the time it was a pos, the silver paint had gone bad, interior was trashed. My Dad had a fit when I drug it home with a chain. Learned a ton on that car, rebuilt an engine, swapped in a 4 speed, 4.56 gears, learned paint and body in shop class, painted it black with pearl and that came out well enough I was able to trade an upholstery guy a paint job for a new interior. Turned out to be a pretty cool car for a high school kid.
    First street rod project came just a couple years later, I had met some guys that had formed a new "street rod" club. I wanted to join in so I HAD to have a pre 48 car asap, bought the first one I came across. A guy (no, don't remember him much) had a stock 38 Plymouth 2 dr sedan in his driveway with a for sale sign not far from my house, bought it and drug that home. Jumped in with both feet and promptly tore it down to a bare frame. Even thou it was the right "era" it kept nagging me that it was ugly plus really not "hot rod" material. Luckily, my high school shop teacher (we are still friends today) was a mopar guy and wanted it. Sold it to him, loaded up the whole thing all apart. Took the money and bought a 37 Chevy coupe from a fellow club member, a guy named Randy that a later found out had some issues with drugs which is why I probably was able to buy the Chevy cheap. The Chevy became my first hot rod, built it gasser style and drove it for several years, several of them as my only car. Good times.

15. I bought a '62 Olds Starfire when I was 19. I did wind up selling the car for a profit some months later since I was stone broke. The guy I bought it from was the son of the guy I bought my house from in 1986.

els, wicarnut, HOTRODPRIMER and 3 others like this.
  16. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

My first actual "project" came from the same junkyard that my first car came from so that was Charlie Stebbins.It was a 49 cadillac skeeter,331 3 speed.Frame had been shortened about 2 feet or so.I had to make a framework to support the steering column,mount a seat,figure out a gas tank,wire the thing etc.I was I think 15 so it would have been about 1965.Got it running with some help from Dad and had a great time runnng up and down the dirt roads.Good times!

17. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

DM 197x.jpg IMG_1624.JPG My first real project was a 38 Chevy that I got from Bruce Wolfe in Des Moines Iowa. I had picked up a 57 Bel Air two door hardtop with a 300 horse 327, it had a dent in the drivers side quarter and no brakes for $165. Well, I found a listing in the paper for a 38 Chevy coupe, contacted the guy and we made a deal to swap vehicles. The 38 was a "kit car" with some assembly required. The body was on a trailer with the fenders inside and the frame and other pieces in the back of a pickup truck. No, I wasn't the sharpest knife in the drawer. Bruce got a really good deal. That was about 1973 or 1974. I still have the car. The assembled picture was taken in about 1975, the second just last year, it's still a 30 footer:) View attachment 3527964 View attachment 3527964 View attachment 3527974

els, ladyhrp, Ron Funkhouser and 2 others like this.
  18. 270ci

270ci

I sure remember the guy I bought my first from, because the seller, Steve, was quite a character and during his extensive sales pitch, he described that 30 Model A heap as his "drinking car"! Being a dumbass 16 year old, I asked "what's a drinking car"? He explained that after a few beers, he liked to entertain himself sliding the thing sideways around turns on dirt roads behind his house. I should have realized what a hard life that Abone had and walked, but against my better judgement, I bought it anyway. My car buddy's and I stayed in touch with Steve for a few years afterwards and the funny thing, no matter what time of the day or night, we never saw him without a beer in hand.

19. Frank Carey

Frank Carey

In 1957 I was 18 and bought a channeled 34 coupe with hydraulics and a roll bar from the local Jeep dealer. He'd taken it in trade. Cost me $100. Put in a 265 and drag raced it and drove it on the street for about 2 years. Sold it to a guy from Brooklyn who was going to make it an all-out drag car with center steering, etc.

els, ladyhrp, Ron Funkhouser and 4 others like this.
  20. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

When you're 14 or 15, I guess any car is a project. My first decent, actual running car was a 2 owner 6 cyl. '35 Olds 4 door bought for $65.00 earned on a spud combine picking dirt clods in late '61. We torched the front springs, got it straight piped & some Port-A-Walls in just a couple days ... reversing the front bumper back bars dropped the face bar another 4''.
    Danny, after reading post 21, I'll fill in ...
    The Olds was bought from a buddy's dad, a Ford guy who had 4 nice cars, but lived on a narrow street with no garage, just a driveway. The other 3 are a rose & ivory '53 Victoria, a tan & white '56 top of the line 2 door 312/OD wagon, & his brothers' '57 Buick 2 door 3 speed. Something has to go, so it's the Olds.
    I remember he tried to give me it's history, but all I can think about is getting it dropped, painting the wheels black, & chasing chicks down with those backwards doors & scooping them into the back seat ... you could do that then.
    Sadly, a decade later, both my friend & his dad are victims of '60s abuses.

steinauge, els, ladyhrp and 4 others like this.
  21. My first hot rod project was the 1930 Ford pickup I purchased from Tony,I think I was 20 or 21.

My first car was purchased at the age of 12 in 1962 which was a 1932 Ford 5 window coupe,which I did not receive approval from my dad and ownership lasted just a few short hours.

My first car that I did get the blessing from my dad was a 1954 Ford but my hope with this thread was to get feel for who you purchased your first rod or custom project from. HRP

steinauge, els, wicarnut and 3 others like this.
  22. das858

das858

I bought my first project vehicle ( and first vehicle period ) from a man named Dick Horning, 1n 1974. I was 16 years old and he was about 75. He had a collection of about 110 antique cars dating from 1909 to 1957. He was a master craftsmen who only did body work using hammer welding and lead filler. I would stop out and see him occasionally and got to be freinds enough that he offered to teach me body work, but unfortunately I was going to be a mechanic and didn't have any interest in body work at that time ! What an idiot ! The vehicle that I bought from Mr. Horning was a 1938 International pick-up for $150.00.

23. shadams

shadams

Truck in my avatar....got royally broken off in my ass....if I was stupid I would have gone by the guys house and burned it down. But I sucked it up and took it as a life lesson to trust, but verify. And know what you are looking at and not rely on anyone else but yourself when putting up a big bunch of cash. All said and done it forced me to tackle things I wouldnt have and I learned a lot. Still chaps my ass though thinking about it.

24. My first, a 1929 cabriolet, came in 1958-59 via my dad's brother after my older cousin went to the Navy. My dad had bought this car new in 1929, so it was just returning the car full circle. Just finished getting that one back together.
    [​IMG]

My second was also a freebie, abandoned along the side of the Klamath River road after a flood had buried it to the frame a few years earlier, a 1929 tudor sedan. A bit of rust but much better than what is commonly found nowadays. My first experience with DMV assigned VIN in 1963.
    [​IMG]

My third was a $200 1957 Chevy Belaire tudor, I bought in from an individual in the Sacramento Delta area in 1965. Engine was junk, probably two full oil changes driving it home 400 miles. (borrowed ET wheels and tires for the photo)
    [​IMG]

els, 3W JOHN, wicarnut and 4 others like this.
  25. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Bought my 51 Merc coupe from the crafts shop teacher when I was a sophomore in high school with some money burning a hole in my pocket. Paid 175.00 for it and drove it home. Had the car for 32 years before I got caught tight for money and a guy showed up with a pile of money.
    [​IMG]
    It really wasn't bought as a project as it had a decent green lacquer paint job on it that shined as long as you waxed it all the time and a decent running flathead.

26. Toqwik

Toqwik

I was 13 and my uncle had a 53 Ford F100. No 2 parts on it matched, every color you could imagine. I asked to buy it he said he wouldn't sell it to me. I didn't have the best grades in school so he said I will make you a deal. You bring me a report card with all A's and B's and it's yours. I work my ass off and the day I got my report card I made my dad leave early from work to go show my uncle Jack. He had it pulled out and ready to go. Said dad had called him already and he left work early as well. Got good grades the rest of my life and the first person in my family to graduate from college. It's amazing a rusty old $200 truck can change someone's life. Dad and I put a 300 in it, did a bunch of bodywork and got it running and driving. Sold it before I was 16 because mom said I had too many cars. Still love those trucks and think about uncle Jack every time I see one.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

els, wicarnut, ladyhrp and 5 others like this.
  27. My first project was an OT first year Mustang, don't remember much about the gal I bought it from, I was just 15 and Dad said it would keep me out of trouble. It did for a while. I got my current 36 Chevy pickup from my old shop teacher, Nick Komarchuk, in 79. Paid him $125, a junk sbc block for use in the auto shop and a lawn mower I had garbage picked. The truck was complete except for engine and trans. He had 3 trucks that used to belong to his deceased brother, two 37 chevy and the 36. He had it stored out next the now gone Sante Fe speedway in Willow Springs Illinois, and when we went to get it the cab was home for some angry hornets, good times! At one time I wished I would have took a 37 but I've had the 36 so long , it's part of the family. I could write a book on Nick, he was a gearheads gearhead, always had some kind of hot rod in the garage but that's a story for another time. There were other hot rod projects that came over the years also.

els, 3W JOHN, wicarnut and 4 others like this.
  28. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Bought my first Hot Rod (39 Ford deluxe coupe with a Nailhead) at a farm sale 15 miles from where I'd lived for 25 years. in 1970. Was a flower power car as it had those plastic daisies of all sizes every where. Took me a year to get new paint and interior and get the mechanical's up to snuff. Drove it everywhere.

els, 3W JOHN, wicarnut and 3 others like this.
  29. oh....should have added....he always asked.... " is that Studebaker....still running ?"

els, 3W JOHN, ladyhrp and 1 other person like this.
  30. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

Do I remember? The first project was the 58 Chevy Impala, so yes, it was my brother. But, since that was one that I had worked on since it was new, it really wasn’t my car at the time. So, my 40 Ford Sedan Delivery that I bought with my own hard earned money was my first project. Now, my memory tells me that it was purchased from a friend that built it in his garage. I saw it cruising around and liked it so much that I had to have it. But, with a box boy’s salary and working in a trailer company for a week was not going to cut it for what the owner was asking for it. So… dreams fade away.

Later on, a deal was made in the parking lot of the local drive-in restaurant and I was now the new owner of the 40 Ford Sedan Delivery. Since I was driving what was one of the fastest, coolest cars in our Long Beach stomping grounds, why would I want another car? Well, the Impala was very fast and cool, but it did not go over well at the surf spots when one or two surfboards were sticking 5 feet out of the trunk. It did not look like a surf wagon or car. It looked like a custom racer that decided to get his feet wet by trying to surf. Since the image had to fit the ability, I knew I had to have something different to drive to the beach and go surfing. Today, the Impala look might go over, but I doubt it.
    upload_2017-5-9_8-10-21.png

So, I bought my first real car with my own hard earned cash. Now the project can begin. Well, the hot rod 348 motor was taken out by the previous owner so he could lower the cost to sell it to me. The stock flathead motor ran well, started every time and was the most reliable motor. Although, it needed a gallon of reclaimed oil every single time I drove the delivery, anywhere. But, now, the look fit the ability and it was the hit of the So Cal surf scene. (Surf movies to dances to the actual surf spots all up and down the coastline.)
    upload_2017-5-9_7-56-31.png 1961 upload_2017-5-9_7-57-38.png

How did it go over at the hot rod infested drive-in parking lots? Well, it was a 1940 Ford Sedan Delivery with the coolness factor built in…(although it was as slow as a snail) and if someone wanted to race, there was always the fast, 58 Impala sleeping in my garage.
    upload_2017-5-9_7-58-41.png 1962
    Jnaki

The guy I bought the 40 Ford Sedan Delivery from ended up being one of the top drag racers/builders in So Cal. He was pretty good as far as expertise in auto mechanics. He is gone, now, but I remember him from back in the junior high school days on the Westside of Long Beach. Our high school days were the usual hot rod banter conversations, whenever we saw the other in the local drive-in restaurant parking lots. After the purchase of the 40 Ford Sedan Delivery, he stayed involved in drag racing and I moved on to our surf adventures and college. Sadly, our lives did not cross again.

els, 3W JOHN, wicarnut and 3 others like this.