Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Tucson Dragway Reunion 2017 May 5&6

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by squirrel, Mar 10, 2017.

1. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

Thanks, 'spose that's the same car? Hoping to hear it run but not sure if they fired it up.

els and loudbang like this.
  2. els

els

Thank you for all the pics. We had great time out there. I broke windshield on the way out. car did not pass tech because of glass. But we had a great time. My brothers ANGLIA was there and he had his new dragster out there. The dragster had small issues. But Mr. Roland Leong from the "Hawaiian" was more than happy to help get the car running. It was an honor to have him help us in the pits. Great turn out and the track was perfect. I will post all pics of all the cars we took out there. And a special thanx to Jim Hughes who was very friendly and remembered my brothers and myself back in the old days. Jim talked to us for hours. I will go back to Tucson again. I will post more info about race as soon as I can get photos off of my BRICK phone. Thank you guys again for posting BEELINE DRAGWAY SIGN. Everybody loved it.

loudbang and Hatchet like this.
  3. mopacltd

mopacltd

It was great to put faces with the names (els and squirrel) Even the wind couldn't damper the good time at the strip

els likes this.
  4. john worden

john worden
    from iowa

Thanks for posting photos of the ex Charlie Hall Green Monster.

els likes this.
  5. els

els

mopacltd, thanx for showing up. had great time meeting you. I hope we see a lot of posts on the reunion. I did not take pics of the BEELINE DRAGWAY sign lit up. I hope those pics will show up soon . we will be back next year for sure.

6. mopacltd

mopacltd

I have a lighted pic of the Beeline sign. I just have to figure out how get them off my phone and post them.

els likes this.
  7. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Thanks for pics

els likes this.
  8. too many fords

too many fords
    from Las Vegas

I'll have to check this out next year, I have a place to stay in tucson

els likes this.
  9. cac646

cac646

loudbang, low budget and els like this.
  10. els

els

cac646, great pics. the silver dragster is my twin brothers. My little brother is sitting in the drivers seat. I hope you pics of his 1948 Anglia. that was cool. keep sending pics. good job.

11. cac646

cac646

The silver dragster was absolutely amazing. The workmanship on the body was just awesome. If you ever need someone to sit in it while it's tuned let me know:)

Attached Files:

• 062.JPG
      062.JPG
      File size:
      219.8 KB
      Views:
    • 063.JPG
      063.JPG
      File size:
      221.3 KB
      Views:
    • 066.JPG
      066.JPG
      File size:
      223.4 KB
      Views:
    • 067.JPG
      067.JPG
      File size:
      175.2 KB
      Views:
    els and loudbang like this.
  12. els

els

The car is brand new. it is stunning. there was problems with blower Friday and Saturday morning, but by the end of the day it was perfect. thank you again for pics. I hope you got to see my BEELINE DRAGWAY sign. I turned the lights on the sign after the cackle fest. It was cool. OH! I will see if my brother will give you seat time in dragster. HAHAHAHAHA

13. Steffen Jobst

Steffen Jobst

14. els

els

Nice pic of Tucson. nice track to race on.

15. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Each cool but kinda weird togethero_O
    [​IMG]

els likes this.
  16. squirrel

squirrel

[​IMG]

for comparison, the old drag strip, on the other side of the freeway, still on Houghton road. Where we raced before it closed in 1984.

old dragstrip.jpg

els and Steffen Jobst like this.
  17. cac646

cac646

I did get to see the dragway sign but not lit. Glad to hear the dragster is ok, it looked like it coughed pretty hard during the cacklefest. I need to get me one of those! maybe some seat time will push that along:D

els likes this.
  18. els

els

Holy $#@%$&. That is cool. I have never been to Tucson. I lived in the valley for 55 years. You guys a great track. I will keep coming back. keep sending pics

19. Junior Stock

Junior Stock

Thanks for that info I was wondering if it was in the same location as the old track.
    I see a couple of Texans made it out there as well as an Okie. I might have to try and make it out there next year.

els likes this.
  20. els

els

hey HAMBERS, keep eyes opened for my brothers silver front engine dragster exploded at the CACKLEFEST in Tucson last weekend. landseandair was most generous to take pics of the explosion. He said he would post them for me soon. All you guys keep posting pics.

21. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

I wasn't sure about posting that image but said you could if you want. You also mentioned Steve Gibbs wasn't too pleased with it happening. Sorry, but I don't feel right about getting into those waters.

els likes this.
  22. els

els

no worries. my brothers and I were laughing about what had happened. He said "THATS PARTOF RACING" "GOOD THING IT DIDNT HAPPEN ON THE TRACK AT 200 MILES PER HOUR". All is good. Post more cool pics. thanx landseaandair.

Last edited: May 17, 2017
    loudbang and landseaandair like this.
  23. mopacltd

mopacltd

Gibbs needs to get his head out of his #@$

els likes this.
  24. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

Not sure about that. A backfire is one thing, playing with Nitro is a completely different animal. Really have to have your shit together or you have a literal bomb and a liability. First bad incident and people get hurt and the host has to make changes to keep the insurance company off their back.

els likes this.
  25. mopacltd

mopacltd

Remember nitro bombs being shot off in the pits. Lot more dangerous than a back fire 60 feet oway from the spectators. Just saying.

els likes this.
  26. Can you be a little more specific?

els likes this.
  27. Pete Eastwood

Pete Eastwood
    from california

If you are running a Nitro engine (even if it's just a cackle car) & you don't know what you are doing, STOP right now.
    "els" if your brother's engine was running on Nitro, & he "exploded it" that's not funny, that is dangerous.
    There is unforeseeable parts breakage, that can cause problems.
    On the other hand if you have a shitty tune up or are using junk parts in a Nitro motor, Blow your junk up at home. Don't bring it out to an event & create problems that make things harder on the rest of us, who respect Nitro & vintage race cars.
    I understand there were a few people at this event that were operating out side of their skill level !
    Steve Gibbs does more for Vintage Nitro lovers than anybody, but Steve can't fix stupid.
    Pete Eastwood

Last edited: May 14, 2017
    els and Nitroholic like this.
  28. mopacltd

mopacltd

I think maybe Don Ewald does more for Vintage Nitro. Gibbs needs to stay at the museum or whatever his position is. He has done a pretty fair job of making the Museum interesting, informative and a fun place to visit.

els likes this.
  29. mopacltd

mopacltd