Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Am I being a jerk??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by OLDTINPUSHER, May 4, 2017.

1. ems customer service

ems customer service

my answer is: yes the price is negotiable and then i raise the price $1000 ,

i won't even make a time for them to see it as they will not show up or try to lower it in person to much, but when i sell i want it gone and keep the price very reasonable

2. Metalman, same thing happened to me when I was selling a car. I said no texs and I got a tex from a guy and go back and forth with the guy, and he starts calling me all kind of names.I finally just told him to get bent.That always tell me they are just a scammer. Bruce.

3. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You know it is what it is these days. Technology has basically changed every thing we do, that includes buy and sell. I think @quickchangeV8 has the idea. Beat them at their own game. Change the price to $3500 and the first electronic offer of $2500 say...."very reluctantly" ....YES...LOL

4. Fedcospeed

Fedcospeed

Too many things is the staging lane right now. Iam not a big fan of what happened to a couple Pierce Arrow sedans (RR)in this area so the fenders will STAY.This car is for a long term idier Ive had in my head for awhile.Changes but in that era of car.And not a street rod!!It will go right to storage to keep it dry.
    Nothing gets ahead of my avitar Olds. Ive had it since 81 and havent driven it since 89.Its weird how things like that happen.I would have to be at my very bottom to sell it EVER.This winter I start on it. I think last night that wasnt rain again i heard falling,it was the Olds crying..."That bastard is doing it to me again"
    The seller,Mark is a good guy. His wife used to live 6 miles from me too.I love a good roadtrip

clunker likes this.
  5. drptop70ss

drptop70ss
    from NY

cant believe I missed that one, that is what I get for reading the HAMB on my phone while waiting in line to get into the Rhinebeck swap meet..if I was on my computer I would of seen the car was in Albany and I would of already bought it! Great deal there.

6. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When they go down...I go up. They say "you can't do that" . Why not. You had your chance. Once you made the offer, the original price was off the table. Tit for tat, I say. Am I a jerk, I certainly hope so.
    I gets a smile sometimes, then the real negotiations can start.

Truck64 likes this.
  7. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

I only negotiate in person. The serious buyer comes over with cash in hand and a truck and trailer - the rest are just wasting your time. They are the jerks, not you.

olscrounger and patmanta like this.
  8. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

I'm beginning to see how I get such good bargains all the time. I don't bother the overpriced assholes. I try to be half way sensible. I'm good at ignoring insults and derogetory comments. I stay focused on the task at hand. And, I have learned to always bring cash and a trailer and be prepared to take my purchase on the spot if I want it. Otherwise there is a good chance that it won't be there when I come back or will be stripped of parts.

You see there are a lot of asshole sellers who are not above changing the deal always to their advantage, even after the cash is handed over and papers are signed.

The same goes for selling. I have learned to ignore the bullshit and focus on selling the item. It doesn't leave my possession until it is paid for in full, in cash, and if it is a car, that it is transferred into the buyer's name.

I find the process of buying and selling mildly annoying at times but don't let it ruin my life.

buggboy, phat rat and TagMan like this.
  9. trapmxc

trapmxc

Slightly off topic but when I use the free thing on CL to just get rid of things the putz's want me to deliver it too.

10. 55chevr

55chevr

Last year I was selling a 1985 Camaro on Craigslist. 5 speed IROC. 85000 miles, good runner. A little rugged but no collision damage for $1200. Local jackass came and offered me $600. I told him he couldn't buy it for 2 grand from me. I think they watch too much TV. I sold it for $1200 next day. CR is a good but cannot filter fools out.

pat59 likes this.
  11. 911 steve

911 steve
    from nebraska

I don't like to text, so I put in my adds; DONT TEXT, CALL OR E-MAIL".....always get a text or two about it...usually will ignore them

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  12. gsnort

gsnort
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If your price is firm, I believe it is wise to put after the price the word "Firm." That way, most folks won't attempt to lowball you.

13. heh...that's similar to my method of dealing with them...

14. jeffd1988

jeffd1988

Man c.l. is full of scamers and some b.s ppl. Just stick to what you feel is right. Real ppl will show up and look at it and make a cash offer on the spot. You have to kinda be aggressive as buyers are aggressive with almost free offers. Sheit. Do not take any checks or whatever they say in emails. If you have a phone number tell them to call you and set an appointment. Ect..

Sent from my Z981 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

olscrounger likes this.
  15. blackout78666

blackout78666

from being on both sides of this the craigslist will you take "x" amount (uasually half asking price or whats the lowest youll take) get booted right away..red flags and a waste of time.....swap meets or in person, there are also the guys who say make me an offer.... ok ill give you "x" for it.. " Thats insulting!" and they get red faced.. insulting is calling your wife fat or your kids dumb.. i think some of the sellers have to have a bit of a sense of humor, chill out and know that offering up anything for sale is gonna bring out all types... recently i made an offer on some parts here on the HAMB, which i thought was fair as they had been in the classifieds for over a year, ripening on the vine.. "nope" was the reply.. i want what i paid for em.. OK.... some people will give ya the shirt off their backs to help you out, others, well..... those parts will get buried with ya i guess..

16. 911 steve

911 steve
    from nebraska

in 1972 a good friend was selling his 34 Plymouth sedan 427-435 tri-power, amazing car. parked next to it in the garage was his daily driver 68 Jag XKE and his wife's daily driver 70 T-Bird. man shot him a low ball offer, Glen told him "look around, do I look like I need to sell it...pay the price or get the fuck out"...guy paid the price.

verno30 and olscrounger like this.
  17. 59Apachegail

59Apachegail
    from New York

I always put a note in my ads: low ballers please send your wife, girlfriend or sister to pick up the part. No not a jerk at all.

olscrounger likes this.
  18. Fedcospeed

Fedcospeed

A side note to this whole thread and the Studebaker in question...Just sold my wifes car on CL. No crap,showed on time,made me a respectable offer and BAM,all done. Sometimes it works out and sometimes no. I do have to say that because some were jerks to Mark,that Stude is mine now. Funny how that goes. Good luck to everyone on future selling!! Jim f

And buying!!

19. phat rat

phat rat

Some guys sound like they always pay the asking price. I don't mind selling things to those types because I get more than I would take due to the fact that I usually price with negotiating in mind. If your so thin skinned as to be bent out of shape by someone asking if you'll take less you'll have a lot of disappointments in life.
    Also there are many right here who have done the same thing. I can't count the times I've had someone lowball or say I want that send me a shipping quote and then they don't even have the courtesy to reply you just never hear from them again

Last edited: May 6, 2017
    joeycarpunk, clunker and jim snow like this.
  20. verde742

verde742

I sell and buy a lot,
    One of the first questions I ask is: Are you local? If that slows them down, I realize they are probably trolling from a prison. Then I ask: Are you incarcerated.. If they don't answer or don't know what it means, then I don't respond further.
    The ones that really waste time, say I am at sea, or I am in a foreign country and buying it as a surprise, I will pay your price and extra for my shipper. All the bull.... about having it picked up..after the check clears my bank. I tell them after it clears Your Bank we will talk.

21. Toqwik

Toqwik

I reply I have turned down more than that for the car. I have sold a lot of crap on CL and never have one of these low ballers show up. I must admit though I have done that myself before. Seeing a car you like but it's not something you Really want but would buy it at that price. It works more times than you would think. Sometimes a month later I will get a text from them saying they will sell for that price.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

22. I don't enjoy the game- I price an item at what I feel is a fair price- that is the price I sell at or I do not sell-

23. If that makes you a jerk I must be one too! HRP

24. mike bowling

mike bowling

If someone comes up to me and their initial "offer" is half my asking price, I figure them for a tire kicking a-hole that's just wasting my time and basically insulting me. I used to try and explain the rules of engagement involved in a sale, now I just tell 'em to F#CK OFF!
    Stick to your prices , and good luck.

25. Toqwik

Toqwik

Heck I wish you lived closer, I'd be all over that. I agree with the other poster who said to price it 3500.

26. phat rat

phat rat

I'll tell you one thing I don't care for. The guy who asks what's the least you'll take? I respond by telling them "there's my price, if I go down all you'll do is offer less then that. If you want to make an offer fine we can go from there otherwise there it is." A lot of times their buddies are in the background laughing at them when they hear that.

27. losthubcap

losthubcap
    from Upstate NY

Sometimes I advertise my minimum acceptable price with Firm after it, and I still get the question:
    Is the price really firm ? So I answer "No, I'll take more" but then I never hear back from them..........

Truck64 and jim snow like this.
  28. jim snow

jim snow

If you say firm. I will not insult you with a lower offer. Either pay or thank you for time. Snowman

29. Toqwik

Toqwik

I run pawn shops for a living. One of the things we teach our employees is to not discount in the first 30 days. Everyone wants it cheap when first for sale. Most of the time it sells in that time period. If not, it's time to bargain. I think your car is a good buy at your price, stick to it.

30. fordflambe

fordflambe

You are not being a Jerk but neither is the person making an offer..........It's just part of the art of making a deal. In this ol' world, i have found that there are "Smart asses" and "Dumb asses" and unfortunately we have to deal with both. You are holding the trump card so you can always choose who to communicate with and who to ignore.

Great car! It should command your asking price............