Register now to get rid of these ads!

METAL band saw questions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Groucho, Apr 10, 2006.

1. I bought a used Delta upright(?) bandsaw supposedly for metal. It's a standard(?) 93" blade. First: What's the best universal tooth count for all purpose cutting (1/4" plate, exhaust tubing, etc)? I'm currently using 10/14 count. Two: How can i tell if it's SLOW enough for metal? Can i put a small piece of masking tape on the blade and count the seconds it takes to make a complete pass, or......? It works OK, but seems to use up blades for a hobby type usage. I used up a new/good blade making a set of headers for my Gasser. Lots of cuts, but thin material.

2. Paul

Paul
    Editor

I bought a bunch of cheap blades a while ago
    the frickin teeth popped off like takin corn off a cob with a butter knife
    spent some more on one good blade and it's lasted more than a few years without losing so much a one tooth.
    you get what you pay for

don't remember the count though... 14 maybe?

and if I had to guess, I'd say maybe a foot per second??

3. You betcha,,,,14 tooth and you do get what you pay for,,,,,,the 22 dollar blade will last a long time,,,in fact,,,the blade on my saw has been abused for over a year now,,,,and still has all the teeth! HRP

4. 51 MERC-CT

51 MERC-CT

In as much as I do some stainless at times, Iv'e been using Cobalt Bi-metal blades 10-14 pitch. Lasts a long time.:) :D

5. raffman

raffman

Go to www.lenoxsaw.com or call them, tell em what your cutting and they will make you a blade and ship to your door, oh yeah check out the garagejournal also

6. MilesM

MilesM

10-14 Bi-metal We use them at work. Lenox is the best we have found. They recommend so many inches (foot) per second but I can not qoute that off the top of my head. We run them faster then recommended as speed is more important then blade life for us.

7. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Everyone is absolutly right about the cheap blades. They are only good for wood or plastic and then they will break prematurely. A 14 tooth blade is good for all around metal working just be sure you enter the work easy and keep constant /light pressure on the workpiece. Forcing the piece into the blade will only heat it up, make it cut crooked/shorten it'a life. With constant light pressure you will feel the blade doing it's work and it will last MUCH longer.

Frank

8. I order my blades from McMaster Carr -they have a real infomative blade tech page to help you order just what you need. It will be on your doorstep 3 days tops.

www.mcmaster.com

9. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I bought some cheapie blades at Harbor Freight for my band saw and have cut all the 10 gage boxing plates for my '46 1/2T and the first blade is still going strong. Maybe luck IS better than skill :confused:

10T - 14T will work just fine.

10. T McG

T McG
    from Phoenix

The general rule of thumb is to have 3 teeth touching the metal surface. 14 teeth generally is good for 1/8'' and thicker. For sheetmetal I use a minimum of 18 teeth . You should always use a bi-metal blade for steel and stainless, aluminum and wood you can get by with a carbon blade. Price will tell the difference between the two. A carbon blade will be $10., a bi-metal will be $20 plus.

11. The Caretaker

The Caretaker

I would recommend an 18 tooth, bi-metal blade. You should get approximately 200' of cutting on 1/8" metal, more with thinner material. This is using the small belt only. Mine is set up like this: Upper pulley - belt is on the smallest groove, facing out. Lower pulley - belt is on the largest groove facing out. I do not use the longer belt option. The Delta is an excellent saw. Parts are not cheap though, especially the internal gears. [​IMG]

12. noboD

noboD

What he said.

13. preferolschool

preferolschool
    from Dallas, TX

I believe the chart on the powermatic at a buddys shop reccommends 200 fpm for mild steel. But we usually run it a little faster cause he buys good blades. To calculate your theoretical blade speed take motor rpm. (usually 3450 or 1720).The sheave on the motor shaft is 1:1. Calculate the circumference of sheave (2PI*R). determine final drive ratio. Multiply drive ratio by calculated speed of sheave. Make sure to adjust for inches/feet etc. . . Also if you can fit one size wider (like say 1/4" instead of 3/16" blade you have extra material to hold the heat and help keep blade alive, but you lose a little manueverability/radius.

14. repoman

repoman

I recently bought a Delta new. I came with an assortment of blades. I made a cut exactly 1 crotch-hair deep with the 14 tooth blade in some tin before it came apart.

I put on a decent Craftsman bi-metal 18 tooth, and I've been cutting all winter. I bought three thinking they wouln't last.

15. I'll take the other 2

16. repoman

repoman

I'd send them to you, but they're the tiny 59 1/2 blades!

I got the baby bandsaw.