Register now to get rid of these ads!

Car Skates, Wheel Dolly Question?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ffas23, Nov 13, 2007.

1. ffas23

ffas23

Don't know how many of you use them but I have had a set manufactured by NMW Products the ROLLMASTER with 3" wheels since the early 90's and they were one of the better items I have purchased to use with my cars. You can actually push your car across a concrete floor with your fingers setting on a set of Rollmasters. Problem is I am looking for another set and I think the Company NMW Products formerly from Raritan, New Jersey may of gone out of business. NMW was roughly about 10 miles away from where I live so I was able to avoid shipping and pick them up right at the company. I haven't been out that way in awhile to check but the phone number I have and have found on my internet search goes nowhere since no one answers.

Are any of you fellows using NMW Product RollMaster wheel dollies or car skates by another manufacturer. I know the ones that Harbor Freight sells are garbage. I had a set of them before I purchased the Rollmasters 12 years ago. I ended up sending them back to Harbor Freight because with all my might it was hard to move a car setting on their Chineze version of a car skate. ​

2. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

not using the NMW set up, because some thoughtful well meaning family member bought me two full sets of the HF wheel skates, and i agree they make a better door stop than a wheel skate. After assembly i found out once i put my 3400 pound 53 chevy on them, they wouldnt move. I went and bought some good casters from McMaster Carr and solved that issue.

3. 35mastr

35mastr
    from Norcal

I use GoJak.They are really nice and will lift the car off the ground to move it around.I have all 4.

olscrounger likes this.
  4. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

I bought mine from "Eastwood" they work great.

5. The Go- jacks are great. I have two sets of skates from here http://www.tireskate.com/ that I have my Sunbeam on. I just push the car around as I need to. I think that these are great too, and the bearings are good, they don't sieze up.

6. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

I made my own. The reasonably priced ones seemed like they'd be a pain to use. You just drive onto these - you can tell in the pic but there's a piece of angle iron that serves as a stop so you don't drive off them.

I also locked the wheels 90 degrees from where they are now as I only push the car sideways.

I don't care for the wheels much (too hard to push) but for free I shouldn't complain.

Here's a before and after (sorta) pic.

BTW I changed the wheels to solid steel. Not much easier to push - I think I'll try adding some roller bearings next :)

Attached Files:

vtx1800 likes this.
  7. 40LUV

40LUV
    from Mid Jersey

NMW isn't in Raritan anymore. I go by that place on the way home from work and some other business (I think home improvement) is in there now. I thought NMW sold out to a company in Pennsylvania because I used to see ads for the dollies in Hemmings with a PA address. I bought a set over 10 years ago and it's one of the best tool purchases I ever made.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  8. 40LUV

40LUV
    from Mid Jersey

Found this address:

NMW Products Inc.
    130 Green Street
    Waynesboro, PA 17268

9. ffas23

ffas23

Just tried Goggle with this Waynesboro, PA address and came up empty. Was hoping for a phone number but Goggle shows nothing not even the address I entered.:(

10. Mr.Musico

Mr.Musico
    from SoCal

go jack, we use and abuse (for repos) them they are great.

11. sodbuster

sodbuster
    from Kansas

Don't buy the cheapies (not really that cheap, $45 a set) from O'Reily's......I bought two sets of them for the 55' Stude and they were terrible, the wheels kink up when trying to roll the car and I had to straighten out each wheel to go the direction that I wanted them to go.

Chris

12. Why not make your own?

A rectangle out of square 1" x .090 square tubng and some caster wheels would do it.

Try to get large diameter wheels and you don't have to buy the real heavy duty ones.

Take a typical Deuce roadster for example.
    About 1400# on the front end and 1000 on the rear.
    700# and 500# per wheel respectively.

Four wheels per dolly rated at 250# is fairly reasonable cost per caster wheel and each wheel is only carrying 175# per caster wheel on the front and 125# per caster wheel on the rear.

Step up to the next rated size and you're even better off.

Rubber wheels are ok, but all steel ones don't develop a flat spot.

I have a couple of welding carts built along the same principle.
    They move easily on smooth floors.

13. I bought a set of the the real tire skates. One of the best investments I've made. I made a set of the skate tops at work and they were great when I was rebulding the chassis. The few extrea dollars for the better quality product with the good ball bearing wheels will save alot of frustration.
    Todd

14. The37Kid

The37Kid

Is there a competition for the oldest pair of car skates? If So these Norwoods have a June 25, 1907 patent date. Once the get sandblasted and painted I'll be looking for new casters.

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  15. ffas23

ffas23

Here is a picture of the NMW Products Rollmaster wheel dollie. Actually I found the H.A.M.B website looking for more info on the NMW Rollmaster and found that someone right here on this forum had a set for sale maybe a year or so ago. Also as I mentioned I have owned a set of these with the 3" Phenolic wheels and they are great, so great that I want and need another set.

[​IMG]

16. Cris

Cris
    from Vermont

One more vote in favor of the real Go-Jacks. Once you get a pair you have no idea how you lived without them.

Cris

kidcampbell71 and olscrounger like this.
  17. I bought mine from LMC truck. Im impressed with them. Bearings on the casters and the swivels too. My sister can move my '56 F100 around on them. When I bought them, I THINK I paid just under $260.00 to my door for 4. (They're heavy, shipping was a bitch!) Sorry, I cant remember who makes them and cant find my catalog.

18. 40Tudor

40Tudor

I have the China-brand skates with cast iron wheels and no problems. I have friends who have the same thing with plastic wheels who reported difficulty moving them while loaded. They don't have bearings inside the wheels. Bronze bushings fixed the problem. I bought mine on sale for $40/pair.

I've lusted for the Go-Jacks for years, but haven't been able to justify the price.

19. ffas23

ffas23

My first set of the Chineze brand skates with steel wheels back in the 90's from Harbor Freight were terrible and I sent that back after struggling to move my car by myself. With the Rollmasters I can push my Street Rod across the concrete floor in my Pole Building with 3 fingers. You are the first out of many on this forum and the Corvette forum to tell me you have had no problem using the Chineze brand skates. :confused: Actually someone on the Corvette forum was willing to give his set away for free. All someone needed to do is pay for the shipping from him.

1934coupe likes this.
  20. IMPALAMAN1

IMPALAMAN1
    from bay area

i hate my china's/ from folding the corners to digging into my garage floor. they are terrible. debating on upgrading the casters or getting all new ones.

21. 40Tudor

40Tudor

Huh - guess I got the one good set. They came from Northern Tool, but look identical to the HF ones.

22. northern tool, harbor freight, menards, all the same chinese rice eating shit! my wife bought me a set from menards cause they were on sale , guess what , they were on sale for a reason , they suck ass. i have always tried to buy american made stuff , and i believe the extra bucks spent on well build roller dollies is well worth it. i pitty the fool who garbage picks the rice ones from out of my trash asd they artent even worth the strain on your back to pick them up! mike

LOST ANGEL likes this.
  23. fuzzface

fuzzface

I also built my own. Actually I built 5 sets so far. i used pallet racking that I brought from a friend that was moving dirt cheap. The castors came from an auction that I paid $20.00 for 2 -35 barrels full. They work great. I even put a set under the '48 packard hearse but I used 6 castors at each corner on that beast. I only have a few castors left because I try to put everything heavy on wheels.

Before I brought the castors I came close to buying the Go-Jacks brand.

24. Dave B.

Dave B.

Digging up a REALLY old thread here and hoping to answer a question...

Summit lists skates by OTC called 'Stinger Easy Rollers' that have very positive customer reviews, plus they're 'only' $123.97 each (with free shipping) - and that is less than half the price of Go-Jacks (which, like 40Tudor, I'd really like - but they don't fit the budget).

Edit, for clarity. Here's my question:
    So, has anyone on here ever used the OTC rollers? If so, what was your opinion of them?
    I know that the Go-Jacks work great - I have a friend who has a set and he loves them.
    I tried a set of the HF skates - pure junk - returned them the next day.
    I'm not overly happy with the thought of paying $500 for the OTCs, but I'm at the point where I'd do it just to keep from bugging my friends to help me move cars.

TIA!

Dave B.

Last edited: May 7, 2017
  25. indyjps

indyjps

Have the harbor freight, performance is so so, I can move the car just fine, changing direction is not smooth. The shop I use them is is big, if it was a 2 or 3 car garage it would suck.

26. slowmotion

slowmotion

Damn, I've got a HF diamond plate set, they're OK. Think I got about $120 in 'em total (4). The casters have bearings. Took them apart and lubed 'em, pre assembly. Makes a difference. I'll upgrade to steel wheel casters for around $100 someday, and still be way under $500. Can't help it, I'm a cheap bastard. :D

27. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

2 sets of GoJaks--wife got em for me years ago. Work great!!

28. Marcia

Marcia

Bob Dauernheim of Bonneville fame, and his brother Al, owned nmw, New Milford Welding. He still uses the Roll Masters in his garage in Flemington, NJ.

Sent from my moto z4 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

29. Here is what LMC has now. $154.95 for set of 4.
    [​IMG]
    Product Details
    XHD Auto Dolly Set, with 7,000 lbs. rating, makes it easy for one person to move a car, truck or SUV into a tight spot. Made of 1/4" thick mild steel x 12" x 16" formed plate and features 3" diameter by 1-3/16" wide swivel ball bearing caster wheels, one equipped with locking safety brake. Use on level, smooth surfaces.