Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1959 Edsel "field car"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ottoparts, Feb 4, 2017.

1. Progress has been slow. But I'm in the midst of replacing any/everything rubber. Knocked off the suspension today only to learn I ordered the wrong bushings for the leaf springs.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sent from my SM-N920V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Cooon and chryslerfan55 like this.
  2. I had my car down to the rails too... dirty fun.

3. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

I have had past love of the Y block. A dear friend and one of the best machinist I ever knew had a great knowledge of the 272 292 312 and even the Mel. He had a kit ( tool I assumed was factory /dealer ) that would allow one to drive a reamer down into the oil passage and actually through the cam bearing. One would turn it by drill and another would spin the motor over by starter. Was supposed to kinda groove the cam and clean out the passage. He said it worked very well actually.
    It's a nice looking car. Get it going to your liking and enjoy. In so many ways they were actually ahead of their time.

4. Other than waiting on parts for the rear, we rebuilt the passenger side upper and lower control arms and sway bar link. Aerostar coil, new shock, new outer tie rod, and put on the Elite spindle/disc brake.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Nailhead Jason likes this.
  5. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

Looking mighty good! Are you going to put some POR 15 or something similar on the frame rails?

6. Eventually we'll clean that up. Frame is too bad. The front bumper bracket is ugly.

7. Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  8. Slow progress as I have ran into a few oddities. However rear suspension is now rebuilt as are the brakes.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

greg likes this.
  9. squirrel

squirrel

Looking good!

Did you replace the pinion seal on the rear end?

10. I haven't touched the third member. I'll get it moving again with it's current set up. However I'm in the hunt for one with 3.70 ratio and track lock.

11. New shocks, new rubber brake hose later, and some tires. The rear is now back on the ground.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Nailhead Jason likes this.
  12. I just swapped in a 3.89 posi in my Ford, did the rear springs and a bigger front sway bar, handles like a Lotus.
    014.JPG 015.JPG 41517-007.JPG

Attached Files:

13. greg

greg

What did you use for the front sway bar. I have a rear sway bar from quickor for mine, but don't have it on yet.

Sent from my SM-G925V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

14. I am not a body man, and I have no desire to be one. However when we pulled the nasty carpet, the drivers side foot compartment area was well vented. I've done floors before and they really don't bother. But I've never done a rocker. Also know why that area is rotted out. It rained the other day, and water cones straight from the windshield, right onto the floor. Needless to say, the windshield will be getting new rubber pretty soon after it's mobile again. The picture with the new rocker is just mock up. I need to figure out a inner rocker panel.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

bedwards likes this.
  15. Look way up under the dash, which may he hard to see. They can rust out there. Is the firewall padding wet?

16. Padding wasn't soaking wet per say, but didn't feel dry either. I took it out. There is light surface rust, otherwise not to bad up there.

17. Gene Boul

Gene Boul

Local guy's father ran the Edsel dealership. Being somewhat spoiled; kid gets a black Edsel for "whatever". All names and many details left out...seems kid buys 100 + door pulls and bolts them into grill section. So at this point black Edsel, white R&P seats and, get ready, a 45 RPM record player gets lots of attention. Local girl listening to the record player play records @ 36 RPM says' I'll bet that thing sounds great at about 100 MPH.

18. manyolcars

manyolcars

19. Your biggest fear is the bottom of the windshield opening will be rotted out. Sometimes the windshield gaskets shrink with age and the water runs down from the top.