Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical *Pickup Leaning to One Side*

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Zippi, May 6, 2017.

1. Zippi

Zippi

I have a newly acquired 37 Ford Pickup Street Rod. Standing in front of the pickup looking through the windshield on a site line on my garage door (garage door is level) the pickup is leaning towards the drivers side about 3/4" or so. I've read on one of the threads somewhere about this but can't remember where it was. Just what should I be checking to see what the cause it?

2. TerrytheK

TerrytheK
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

^^^^ And, might need to know what they are. Transverse leaf? Coilovers? Different techniques involved depending on what you have.

Hatchet likes this.
  3. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Need more info. Is it a straight axle in front? Also uneven rear springs can cause this as well-to ck that, jack up rear via center of rear end a bit then ck front end again-pass side spring higher in rear will possibly dip dr front a bit too.

4. greybeard360

greybeard360

Best thing to do is measure from the top of the wheel opening to the floor on all four corners. See if it is only low at one point or on one side.

Sent from my Moto G Play using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

5. To decide if springs are the issue no matter if I Beam or I.F.S. measure bottom of frame rail to top of Axle or A-Frame on all 4 corners. Next would be to determine if the low corner is full of Bondo or lead or if it just has weak springs. If it measures up good then check cab for poor patch work. Often times it's a combo of many small things.
    The Wizzard

OFT and olscrounger like this.
  6. May sound silly but have you checked tire pressure as well as tire size?

Hotrodmyk likes this.
  7. BJR

BJR

How heavy is your wife/girlfriend? May even out with both of you in there.

Bandit Billy likes this.
  8. Usual cause is from too much food.
    To much food equals weight, weight equals pressure, and pressure bends metal.

I once knew an obese fella, who had a lot of cars. They were all sagging on the drivers side.

belair likes this.
  9. mike in tucson

mike in tucson
    from Tucson

My aunt was major pork and her husband was the proverbial Jack Sprat. They had a new 62 Chevy impala hardtop. The car eventually leaned about 3-4" to port since she drove and he was always drunk and rode shotgun. Car looked like it was set up for left turn track.

kiwijeff and mgtstumpy like this.
  10. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

When my OT DD truck was doing that, it was a broken rear leaf spring shackle.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

11. Zippi

Zippi

Thanks for all the input. Front end is a reverse eye with new shocks. Rear end is leaf springs with Monroe air shocks.

12. Sheep Dip

Sheep Dip
    from Central Ca

While building my 40 coupe I noticed the left side sat lower than the right by 1/2".
    I found 1/4" in the tire side wall of which were just old wore out rollers, the new tires corrected that.

I also discovered looking at my CE parallel springs one was actually 1/2" longer in the eye to eye dimension, the different rear shackle angle was a giveaway to check them both for length.

To correct the remaining 1/4" I made adjustments in my rear sway bar links to level it, it now sits perfectly level on all 4 corners.

13. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Trucks have a solo occupant most of their lives.
    I got pulled over by a deputy and some how he asked why my truck leaned to the left noticeably I told him "fat driver" As all 280 lbs of me was standing there in front of him. Don't think he found much humor in it but Since I put huge number of miles on that truck while alone in it that is my theory.
    That is most likely the reason it leans to the left. The fix depends on the suspension setup.

14. Since the measuring techniques were given, have you ever watched "What's Eating Gilbert Grape" ? i060944.jpg

15. 39wagon

39wagon

I've got a '39 coupe that had what I've heard called a "bachelor lean" to the drivers side. I guess it was caused by a single occupant for too many years. Till I can get around to replacing the spring, I simply shimmed it with a 1/4" piece of aluminum cut into a wedge shape and placed between the drivers side of the front cross member and the spring (I left the spring anti-squeak pad on the cross member). Had to move it around a bit till the wedge was right and the car sat level.

16. Happydaze

Happydaze
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When sighting the windscreen frame to the level garage door how is the ground that the truck is standing on? (smartass reply, but you left that wide open!). Beyond that what's already been said. Has anyone mentioned any of the suspension components being seized / frozen, or even just a bit stiff? It might be as simple as a good lubricating (loaded and unloaded) and some use?

Chris

17. rudestude

rudestude

Sorry ...But I just couldn't believe it when I saw the picture of that falcon...My first car was a falcon in fact it looked just like the one in the picture..... I even built a model of it ....That would be odd if it was the same car....[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

swade41 likes this.
  18. Or cab mounts.

19. Or the THREE of you....

20. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

You could try putting 20 pounds of air pressure in the passenger side tires and 35 pounds in the drivers side, that might do it. ;) :D:D:D

21. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

My former partner Gary had a '65 Chevy 1/2 ton stepside. His bed was on there crookeder than a salesman's shadow.
    One day I had him drive it in the shop, and I jacked it up. Wow! Looked like something walloped the frame underneath, noticeable bend!
    Gary about 'shat'... Let it down, drove it over the floor tie-downs, and corrected it with a length of 3/8" chain, hook, rigid car stand and a 3 ton floor jack. Gary was pleased, but 'confounded'.
    "How'd you straighten that so easy?" I told him. "Chevy..... Frames and axles bend like butter."