Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Custom Car pulling an old Airstream = Bad Idea?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Apr 25, 2017.

1. The believe the rounded corners and the rounded shape really seem to make the difference. They pull easier and sidewinds just don't seem to affect them as much. I'm a believer in Featherlite enclosed trailers for this reason because before I bought one I had several flat front trailers with square edged sides . The Featherlite with a rounded v-front and rounded corners pulled easier (1 1/2 MPG better) and wasn't affected by strong sidewinds and semi-trucks as much. The Airstream is the ultimate aero shape, its no wonder people still buy them for more that double the price of other trailers.

I pulled this 1500 lb 13' Burro with my '32 pickup and it had mini-equalizer hitch that really smoothed out the ride and made the whole rig very stable. The equalizer hitch wasn't installed yet in this pic.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

edcodesign likes this.
  2. Legal to ride back there then?

3. southcross2631

southcross2631

I did a 64 Merc Monterey convertible just so he could pull his 63 Airstream. Had the rear springs reached and added a leaf. Put in a new radiator, rebuilt the 390 and the cruiseamatic. Added a trans cooler . Put a dual pot master cylinder with a brake controller. Built a receiver style hitch from a 1 ton Dodge.
    He goes to camper shows all over the Southeast.

4. Looking through the pics in the initial post, my eyes were immediately drawn to the 58-59 GMC apache fleetside with the camper mounted in the bed (in the pic with all the airstreams lined up) I absolutely love that truck, it's exactly what I've been looking for!

5. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

The truth is there are certain requirements for safe towing and it doesn't matter how old the car is, if it is in good shape and set up right it will tow safely.

But towing does take a lot out of a vehicle. The bigger the trailer the more moxie the tow vehicle needs. You don't necessarily have to have the biggest most powerful vehicle but it must be set up right.

The Airstream forum I linked to earlier is a gold mine of information on towing. Don't pay too much attention to the "you need a dump truck to tow a wheelbarrow" crowd. Some of the others actually know what they are talking about.

6. Roger O'Dell

Roger O'Dell

I love the older trailers, there is a spartan mansion on eBay now that I contacted the seller about. I'm having an anxiety attack about whether to offer on it. Does anyone know the weight. I am building a 48 diamond t , thought they would compliment each other. My biggest problem, I am working on 4 projects now, and am at least 18 months from being able to touch a trailer. I really like the spartan on the prior page. Spartan studebaker???

flynbrian48 likes this.
  7. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

Roger, grab the Spartan now!
    You never pay too much, you buy early
    And the Diamond T with the right upgrades will be good

31hotrodguy likes this.
  8. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

A Spartan Mansion will weigh about 7,000, and loaded up and ready to go, close to 8. Figure 10% tongue weight. What's your Diamond T? Ours is a '48 201, our Spartan is a '47 Manor. It is indeed a nice compliment to the Diamond T. IMG_8389.JPG

9. El Jefe

El Jefe
    Alliance Member

4231822910_4ca4e7b133_z.jpg Ain't no problem with a 57 Caddy.

10. wicarnut

wicarnut

Like most guys that have pulled trailer's,( for me, many miles/years) GO FOR IT ! As most said, get everything in order to make it safe as possible, thinking the difference today is the highway speeds, the fact that people drive awful, tailgating, everyone's in a hurry, fooling w/ their phone and roundabouts are interesting w/ trailer intow IMO. Have Fun ! Be Safe !

31hotrodguy and richards69impala like this.
  11. Jungle Jalopy

Jungle Jalopy

IMG_8135.JPG IMG_8134.JPG

Last edited: May 5, 2017
    rod1 likes this.
  12. What was the water bag for?

13. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

In the first place, it was just not wise to cross the desert back in the day without extra water, a break down could be life threatening without water. Second, they actually use to hang the bags on the front of the car. The bags were made of a canvas material, and you would soak them before you took off, so as you drove the water would evaporate and help cool the engine. And of course, should it overheat and loose coolant, you had extra water on hand to refill the radiator after you let it cool down. My folks moved out to CA from IL in 1960, and the family made a car trip back home every other summer. During the 60's and even into the 70's it was very common to see the bags on the front of cars driving across the hwy's (pre-interstate). In the earlier years almost every car you saw had a t least 1 bag slung across the front.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Hamtown Al and richards69impala like this.
  14. Common when I was a kid travelling out of town. Made cold water as you drove. A long way from civilisation, people used to drink it. Cold water was welcome on a hot dry drive.

Blues4U and richards69impala like this.
  15. trollst

trollst

I don't tow with my 36, except for a small teardrop, but, I'm a veteran at towing fifth wheel and bumper hitch trailers, and properly set up, matched units, it's a great idea to hitch up an old car and travel. What I see more and more, is speed and stupidity, trailers have electric brakes, they do not stop well, they are also drums and are overheated easily, but you'd never know that by the speed of folks pulling these days. Diesel trucks with 1000 foot pounds torque can pull any grade at any speed with a travel trailer, and we see idiots doing it all the time, they make a hell of a mess here in mountain country, one little mistake is literally disastrous, man, load up, take your time and have the best time of your life.

richards69impala likes this.
  16. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@trollst is right on. Had some pals in my drag race days would almost literally race each other home from Norwalk back to the Detroit area after a race. Fkn stupid, risk your whole race get up not to mention your life and others so you can brag about fast you got home. Glad they grew out of it. I go the furthest and make my best time and mileage at 2200 RPM in my rig regardless of how big the car is. I can stop it, handle it, cover a safe speed and manage grades without my asshole making fear diamonds. Still a trailer snob all these years later. I think if you're time constrained for work or other obligations that's the only bad idea. If you have nothing but time and are satisfied with a limited speed then why the hell not. Me? I'd still have 1 worry out there no matter how safe I am. Back in all these glory stories you didn't have dip shits texting and driving and wandering in and out of their lanes. Highway gymnastics and towing have always been mutually exclusive. Like the old TV commercials, "Drive defensive, and watch out for the other guy." Remember those? So so true today. Be safe, much luv, enjoy the trip.

richards69impala and trollst like this.