Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Am I being a jerk??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by OLDTINPUSHER, May 4, 2017.

1. If you get an email response within 5 minutes of posting a CL ad, delete those. I've sold and bought a lot of stuff there but there are flakes on both sides of the fence. My buddy was selling 2 cars for his kids, one went off to college and the other bought a new car. 2 nice cars for sale, he's a mechanic so they were solid and safe. The chain yanking he went through... he finally did sell them. I'm talking about $3000 cars.

2. The world is made up of all kinds, so there is no absolutely correct way to advertise. I'm in the camp of putting the message in the ad that has a chance of sorting out a majority of the flakes (can't eliminate them all). In my ads I include the statement "Sight unseen offers will be ignored." Yep, might make some think I'm a grump, but an informed and serious buyer will want to know what they're buying before they offer anything.

Sometimes they wait til we are on the phone and then say something like "Will you take less." My typical response, in as jovial a tone as I can muster, is something like "If you haven't seen how nice it is how do you know it isn't a steal at my price?" Once in awhile someone will try the "I see you've had it advertised for a long time." negotiating ploy. I replay, "All that means is I haven't found a serious buyer yet.". We could go on for hours with war stories about for sale ad tactics/responses/results. The audience for these old cars is shrinking which means to sell it you need to work harder, but you still don't need to waste time on demonstrable flakes.

wicarnut likes this.
  3. Squablow

Squablow

Yup. You'll agree to a price, they want to come in 2 weeks and you should hold it for them, and they never show up, long after you've told other interested parties that it's sold. Either that, or it goes like this....

You are asking $2500

Guy asks if you'll take $1500, without seeing it or any other questions.

You want to make a deal, so you say OK.

Then they come and see it, and pick it all apart, like they're trying to decide if they really want it or not, regardless of the fact they already agreed to buy it for the $1500 price.

Then they ask, "Well, I know you'll take $1500, but how about $1000?"

The pre-negotiated price became a new asking price for them to beat you down from.

Fuck those people. Fuck them right in their ass with their mom watching.

And if you want to avoid doing that, wash that car up, spend a couple days really polishing and detailing it, even if the paint isn't any good anymore, and get some really nice pics, then rewrite your listing. Unless those aren't the pics you're using and then I apologize for jumping to conclusions.

Last edited: May 4, 2017
  4. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I like to put things on Craigslist at the price I want to get. I put right in the ad the price is firm and no offers considered. also depending on the item I put "scammers and thieves need not reply" I started doing that after I listed my old $3,000.00 road bike for $1500.00 and there was 5 scam emails within 1/2 hour.

that looks like a great car for $2500.00. you are a better man than I since I would not even reply to a lowball offer like that.

5. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

I didn't know Studebaker built altered wheelbase cars then! Would you take $1200?:D:p Keep going you are right. Lippy

Ebbsspeed and Petejoe like this.
  6. ClarkH

ClarkH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

To paraphrase Obi Wan, "These aren't the buyers you're looking for." These guys are not making an offer--they are trying to reset the price from the get-go so they can come out and make their actuall offer, which will be even less.

"Sorry, no" is a reasonable response. But I usually put it back on them: "That's pretty low, but come out and wave cash at me. We'll see what happens." They never come out.

I wouldn't put "all negotiations done in person." It's just like saying OBO: You're announcing you'll accept less. Now you'll miss out on that occasional guy who loves it so much he just hands you full price. Admittedly, that only happens on rare occasions, but don't elimiate the possiblity just to satisfy the lowballers. Screw 'em.

7. Bubba1955

Bubba1955

manx4me and ClarkH like this.
  8. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

You're not, THEY ARE. These jackholes are all over CL. MOST are just playing games while they're bored at work, and some are scammers.

They have no real intention of actually buying the car; they are wasting your time. I got my time wasted by a few of these in the past and they generally fall apart when you point out that making an offer on a car sight unseen is not something you're going to deal with or outright fishy.

Some are apparently brokers, supposedly, & I've had them try to bully me right off the bat with "$$HALF WHAT IT'S WORTH IN PARTS$$ TODAY ONLY!" nonsense (again, sight unseen). I actually somewhat enjoy giving these types a bit of sass or a hard time TBH.

9. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Exactly! Being a complete dickhead is a full time hobby with some folks. I liken the OP approach as educational. In our monkey see monkey do society, there are undoubtedly some who have no idea how things actually work. They'll figure it out. Or not.

XXL__ and Squablow like this.
  10. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

To be fair, there is a lot of over priced badly described junk for sale out there. Maybe the buyer, or potential buyer, just wants to know where you stand.

In other words it is a fair question and one that you can answer as you please.

One answer I have used is, "I want rid of it now. You come here with $1500 cash today and it's yours" and I meant it.

Another is, "You haven't even seen the car yet. I believe $2500 is a fair price, if you look the car over and don't agree we can discuss it"

Another is, " The car is worth more than that, and I am offering it for a very fair price. I will not take less".

You don't have to be an asshole to answer a perfectly sensible question.

tinsled, XXL__, Truck64 and 1 other person like this.
  11. when people call and want to offer less w/o even seeing it, I let em go and wait for the next call. fuck em large

12. You're not being a jerk.

It's what these ass hats do, it's kinda like breathing for them.

Here's one little tip from my experience of a few hundred CL sales--- there is a 98% chance they will waste even more of your time and not ever attempt to buy it anyway. You can almost tell from the initial contact if you've sold the item after you've got a few completed sales. I've sold over 90% of the things I've listed. Some have taken a while but they do go.

Go ahead and test the theory if you wish. Agree to their offer and then wait for them to show up.

Their MO is fish for low ball acceptance. Their theory is that is fun to do. I do get tired of their nonsense and somehow my mind collectivly groups them into one entity. When I'm not in the mood I'll agree to their insane 10% offers but tell them they have to do it today. Then ignore them. That's being a jerk.

turboroadster, Squablow and patmanta like this.
  13. stimpy

stimpy

for cars never craigslist around me ( specially old types like what we have )
    I have been told by some I was a dick , I told them back, my car , my sale ,my demands , or screw off .
    the worst are the ones who call make a apointment to see and no show , no call back . then call later and see if you will go lower on the price , ( love caller I.D. ) I just hang up on them .

patmanta likes this.
  14. Squablow

Squablow

This is a really great quote!

I do agree with Rusty Otoole above somewhat though, there's no reason to get snippy with people just for asking, and there have definitely been days when I'd sell something cheap just to get rid of it, and I'm happy to get any offer.

Insults and clear bullshitters get ignored.

Legit buyers get the red carpet.

But on some stuff, especially parts, or for people from a long distance away, it definitely doesn't hurt to at least hear them out and send a pleasant response. Sometimes they'll change their mind or they'll come up from their offer, sometimes I'll change mine and let something go just to be done with it.

I can't tell you how much great stuff I've got for bargain prices just for showing up with cash and not being a dick over the phone/internet.

15. stimpy

stimpy

this thread also falls inline with the ad scanners , What do you mean it it has no engine ??
    fully listed in ad ( and picture of the engine compartment with no motor , oh maybe its one of them VW kit cars .... NOT!

16. Barn Hunter

Barn Hunter

I had a Model A sedan, new frame and suspension, full fendered, chopped...nice car well on the way. I put it on for 9500 or 8500 minus wheels and stated I have more in it than that, so prices are firm. A guy emailed and said he was going to look at a coupe first and would get back to me...didn't come to look at the car. A day later he emails and says "I'm at 6000 for your car." I emailed him back and said "Go buy the coupe."

Bruce Fischer likes this.
  17. jim snow

jim snow

Your car. Your price. Never let anyone price your stuff. I.M.H.O. Snowman

SCtattooer likes this.
  18. Lebowski

Lebowski
    BANNED

No, you're not being a jerk. I have several ads on CL now and have sold dozens of other things on it over the years. I don't allow emails and put "no texts" in the ad so I obviously accept only phone calls. If someone makes an offer I tell them I don't negotiate over the phone and to bring cash and then we'll discuss their offer after they see the item. If it's a smaller item I meet them at a local gas station at the nearest freeway exit half a mile from my house. Yes, there are a lot of idiots who use CL but eventually I usually end up selling whatever I have for sale....

XXL__ likes this.
  19. No your not a jerk. I'm not either but selling stuff brings out the worst in me. I generally consider a lowball offer as a non serious buyer and don't reply. If they can't see what I have to offer, I don't see their offer. Partly because I don't want to get monstrous.

I've got a few stories, but one guy wanted just the body of the Model A I listed. I said OK for the same price. He got quite mad, because he didn't want anything else, reason being, he would have to find someone else to buy it. I basically said one of us was going to have to be left with the extras and it wasn't going to be me. I do have a jerk level if they push the right buttons.

If they go the distance and come see the car, they usually get more than they bargained for.

trollst likes this.
  20. metalman

metalman

I don't get it either. Got a text from a guy even thou the ad said no texts (first mistake) asking if I'd take $1000 for the car I'm asking $2000 for. I text back "no". He comes back with "but you said OBO". I text "no, ad said will consider offers". He come back with "but I'm offering $1000, you won't take it?". I just reply "not enough". He comes back with "then keep your POS, you f--king old horder" then moments later another text, "--shole". Man, what is up with people?

Bruce Fischer likes this.
  21. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

You're only a jerk if you are not polite about it.
    If you want to decline the low offer but not burn bridges, just say something like "I've got two guys coming to see it today, but I'll keep your name in case it doesn't work out, thanks for calling".

Remember this, for negotiations of all kinds: Nobody wants something more than when they can't have it.
    And another related idea: It's easier to pull someone around than to push them around.

22. toml24

toml24

As a seller, why don't you tell the low offers that you offer 2-month installment plans, and there will be storage fees involved, and nothing is refundable.

23. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don´t think you are a jerk, I´d reply in a similar manner.I do understand that if a potential buyer has a long way to come around to take a look at what I´m selling, he may ask a couple of questions to get a clue what he will be looking at and maybe even ask if the price is negotiable. But just dropping a line with a low ball price is not acceptable I think. Sitting here in Germany I bought a few cars in the US and of course there are some phone calls and emails with a lot of questions involved before you strike a deal, with the price negotiation being the very last question. Good communication helps both , seller and buyer, to get a feeling whom you are dealing with, if he is a dependable , trustworthy person . Not always easy on both sides , but talking to each other helps a lot.

24. I have always dealt with low ballers in this way. Whether it is 10 bucks or a 1000 if they offer me something stupidly low I just add 10% to the price and say OK 1100 it is!!!. They usually say Hey you said it was a 1000 and I go Yup and if you low ball me again it will be 1200. I usually get my original asking price which I always set at a fair value in the first place.

hillbilly likes this.
  25. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

People are funny, but if you're going to deal with the public, you gotta expect a few classless idiots to come along, I guess.....

I recently put an ad on craigslist for a set of 15", aluminum slots for a truck (6-bolts pattern). I received a call fro a guy that said he wanted them for his '59 Chevy truck, which would look good with them. He said he was an EMT and on the job at the time, but would like to see them that night after work of the following night. He called later, saying he couldn't be there that night, but would be over the 2nd night "definitely".
    Of course, he never showed, nor did I ever hear from him again. I waited a couple days, emailed him and asked if he was still interested - no answer at all. Rude? Sure, but it cost me nothing.

A couple of days later, another guy called up and said he wanted the wheels for his Datsun truck and asked if I'd bring one over, so he could check the fit & look. He was only 3-miles away, so I took the wheels over to him. He put one on, said he loved the look and pulled out the cash.

You just never know........

26. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

stick to your price , the reality shows have made people soft between the ears , you cant find an old pick up here that's under $1500 and not a rolling pile of rot or has an engine , everyone wants to sell at a big profit , or pay nothing to flip something crazy

27. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

To be fair, many people up their price to account for the hagglers. Maybe somebody only has a certain amount of money and thinks it doesn't hurt to ask. Just say no I have to get this for it or I'll keep it but thanks for the interest.

28. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Let's start again. If someone asks stupid questions, insults you or your car, wastes your time for no reason THEY are the jerk.

If someone is polite, asks sensible questions, treats you with respect, and you get mad and insult them because they don't immediately give you everything you want YOU are the jerk.

buggboy, 47ragtop, ClarkH and 3 others like this.
  29. wicarnut

wicarnut

Dealing w/ people, selling is always an experience IMO and that's why there are so many Hot Rod / Classis car dealers as most do not want to take the time and have the tolerance level for dealing w/ it, I have no love for them as it's the same old car game, they buy low and sell high. I have sold on Craig's list and put "cash only sale" and do not waste my time w/text or email figuring if they don't call they are not serious. The art of making a deal without being obnoxious is something few people seem to learn. Agree w/ everyone, you are OK in your thoughts, have said this many times, integrity, courtesy, common sense has gone away w/time IMO

47ragtop and Bruce Fischer like this.
  30. 01spirit750

01spirit750
    from Ohio

This was a good read. Thanks. Can I add a few?

Here are a couple CL's
    1. Selling my OT motorcycle and I get a call with a low ball offer, sight unseen. I tell him to come look at it. He says he is $1k short of my price and I should call him when I decide to take his offer, I tell him no, call me when you get the money. Sold it a month later to a different buyer, full asking price.

2. Selling a low mileage OT car on CL. A relative hears about the car for sale, tells his daughter he is buying it for her, THEN calls me and gives me a low ball offer which I decline. In 24 hours I have 15 interested people, a few low ball offers, a few people really far away. The funniest was the first contact emails telling me "they were on their way with cash and would be there in 30 minutes", be where? I had not provided an address where the car was located. I sold the car to the first person who came, they gave me my asking price. They did question my price since it was more than Kelly Blue book, I told them I had 14 other people calling. I said they can always wait to see if the car did not sell. They decide to buy it right then.

3. Before the CL days, my dad was selling his daily driver (OT) and a girl in her late teens and her mother came to look at it. They made an offer which was too low so my dad declined. Later that night the girls father called wanting to know what my dad would not sell the car. My dad told him what the price was, they eventually bought the car.

wicarnut likes this.