Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Phx to Detroit or, See the U.S.A.in a model A!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Deescott, Apr 23, 2017.

1. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Looks like him! The cafe across the street has one cool history as well

2. Deescott

Deescott

IMG_7156.jpg IMG_7150.jpg IMG_7148.jpg IMG_7142.JPG IMG_7122.JPG IMG_7098.jpg Made it to Kentucky after spending a lot of time in Memphis. We can't spend too much time sightseeing, but had to hit Sun Studio and Stax for sure, and eat some BBQ. Ate up half the day, but well worth it. The roads in Arkansas and Tennessee have been pretty darn good, and the people in Tennessee are the friendliest for sure. Car seems to be handling better and better, and we've been hauling ass, but there's nothing like hitting a huge bump or hole doing 80 while passing a semi in a Model A! Still freaks me out sometimes. Rear main seal just leaks more the faster I drive, and rear end keeps gettting lower. Nothing I can do about the seal but keep dumping oil in it, and I'll most likely get some air shocks in Detroit. Which brings me to the question, anyone have or know someone who has a garage I might use in Detroit on Sunday? I hate to impose, but it would be nice to do the ol' once over twice and address some stuff for an hour before heading back to AZ. Please let me know if you do, and thanks in advance. Tomorrow we push for Michigan, but the forecast is heavy rain from tonight on, so we will see!

3. That sedan is neat AF!

Deescott likes this.
  4. Deescott

Deescott

For music fans- first pic is supposedly the mike Howlin Wolf, Elvis, J. Cash and so many other Sun artist sang into.(personally I'm most into The Wolf). 3rd is the organ "Green Onions" was recorded with by Booker T and the MGs,(2nd pic), and then a shit ton of Stax, Volt, etc 45s! IMG_7120.JPG IMG_7132.JPG IMG_7139.JPG IMG_7144.JPG IMG_7143.JPG

5. 70L34

70L34
    from Detroit

I am in Grosse Pointe. Send me a PM and I'll get you my cell number.

6. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

That's awesome! And looks like you've got a garage right there ^

Deescott likes this.
  7. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Great car, great trip!

Deescott likes this.
  8. Dan text me if you have issues with pm on the phone app and I can get your number to 70L34 that offered his garage so you can get taken care of. Keep the updates coming on the bad ass trip

loudbang and Deescott like this.
  9. Deescott

Deescott

Not the best day for pics. We did end up at Abe Lincolns birthplace though!? I really do love the backroads of Kentucky, seeing places I'm not sure I'll see again, neat small towns and farms, really beautiful back county, winding crazy roads in the rain, and houses I wish I could just walk up the front porch, say hello and just hang out for dinner and get to know these folks. I was surprised to see a lot of great small towns in Ohio too, but when we hit Cincinnati, we almost completely stopped. Horrible traffic when we hit the 75 to make some time, and then when we tried to find an alternate route we got screwed again then rained on hard. But, I gotta say, this might have been the worst day of the trip, but it's still one of the best. I'm grateful to just be able to do this. It's the reason I put this particular car together and why I got a Fordor in the first place. Not to be a wild hotrod, but a car I could beat on, treat like a normal daily driving car, and to camp and travel in. It's doing great too, I think it likes doing this and seems to run and drive better as we go. I'll give it some love before we head back and I think the return trip might even be better! Detroit in the mornin'!

10. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Outnside of everyone getting lots of rain, Saint Louis has closed some interstates because of the flooding btw, but I've been to Nashville about as many times as I've been to Portland/ Seattle and damn if it's not always raining more in Nashville lol. Maybe just timing on my part but I always get soaked there

Deescott likes this.
  11. 70L34 is right where you are headed but if you need anything south of Detroit near I-75 mile marker 30.2 give me a shout.

Hatchet and Deescott like this.
  12. Deescott

Deescott

Funny what you run into! Oldest concreted road in America and Lincolns birthplace. IMG_7161.PNG IMG_7162.jpg IMG_7163.jpg IMG_7164.jpg IMG_7165.jpg

13. loudbang

loudbang

How is your new wife liking the trip in your Hot Rod?

14. Deescott

Deescott

It
    was her idea!

Poh, BradinNC, lothiandon1940 and 2 others like this.
  15. Deescott

Deescott

Stuck in Fostoria Ohio, 2 hours from our final destination Detroit. Its flooding and gusty winds and the conditions are bad for driving this little car. Sitting in Bob Evans calming my nerves and hoping it subsides a bit.

lothiandon1940 and loudbang like this.
  16. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Plenty of hamb guys in Ohio should you need a hand or shelter. Hopefully it blows over

17. Deescott

Deescott

Made it to Detroit. It was difficult today and yesterday, took forever, but made it. Anyone know where I can get some 600w gear oil for my banjo around here??

18. chiro

chiro

You do not need 600W gear oil for the banjo. There have been numerous discussions about this on the HAMB. If you have 600W in it now, drain it all out and put regular 85-140 gear oil in it. HOWEVER, if you are running an old Ford top loader 3-speed ('39 transmission), you should run gear oil with a GL4 designation. It has been said that GL5 gear oil is not good for the brass synchros in those old transmissions. Sta-Lube makes a good GL4 gear oil available at NAPA locations.

BTW...you have one huge set of cajones taking this trip. I am envious ;)

Andy

Hatchet, Tim, loudbang and 1 other person like this.
  19. Deescott

Deescott

IMG_7179.JPG Don't think I could be happier to be here, especially in my Model A Ford.

loudbang, mgtstumpy, Tim and 2 others like this.
  20. 2935ford

2935ford

^^^^
    A fabulous museum!

loudbang and Deescott like this.
  21. Deescott

Deescott

IMG_7209.jpg IMG_7218.jpg IMG_7215.jpg IMG_7205.jpg IMG_7203.jpg IMG_7202.jpg IMG_7188.JPG IMG_7183.JPG IMG_7195.jpg IMG_7201.jpg IMG_7200.jpg IMG_7197.jpg IMG_7177.JPG IMG_7176.JPG Well, yesterday we had our "Michigan reception" (my woman is from here, so we had a lil wedding reception for family and friends), and then today packed up the car for our trip back to Phx, then hit The Henry Ford Museum. I have been there once before a few years back, but was dying to go back, especially to drive a hot rod there. It's an amazing place, and this time I was amazed by the ancient machinery and massive pumps from the 1700-1800s. The ingenuity of mankind never ceases to amaze me. I'll keep the pics to car stuff, my favorites being the exploded Model T, and as a Phoenix hot rodder, Dick Smiths roadster. Built in Phx and bought by the museum in the 70s as an example of a "50s" hot rod. Titled in '54, Dick was an innovator and talented machinist, who made so many things on the car that most people would never notice. He's also a great guy that's still around, and was also shop teacher to another legendary Phx hot rodder, Don Marks.

Hatchet, Tim, C. John Stutzer and 4 others like this.
  22. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

Deescott and loudbang like this.
  23. Deescott

Deescott

Thanks Matt! Driving past there today. My phone is just oooooold!

loudbang likes this.
  24. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

What's the going home route?

25. Deescott

Deescott

Going the original "to" route roughly following 66.

lothiandon1940 and Tim like this.
  26. Deescott

Deescott

Left Detroit this morning heading for home, first stop Ann Arbor to grab sammiches and supplies from Zingermans Deli, then headed down the 12, a cool lil highway through small towns with lots of lakes and some goofy roadside attractions like Prehistoric Forest and Mystery Hill. But eventually we had to jump on the big highway to make some good time to Chicago. Driving into this city was a big deal for me, felt crazy pulling in there in this ol' car, felt like it was a big feat, like something special. Headed straight for 2120 S. Michigan Ave, former home of Chess Records. This place is bigger to me than Sun or Stax, what went down here and came out of here, will never be duplicated in my eyes. Bo Diddly, Chuck Berry, Howlin Wolf, The Stones, and so many more. Wish I could have just stood in there, but it was closed for repair. At least I might have stood where the Stones did when Muddy Waters carried their luggage in before they recognized who he was. Next was just checking out downtown with no time to spare, then we were out as fast as we got in! IMG_7253.PNG IMG_7246.JPG IMG_7252.jpg IMG_7251.jpg IMG_7254.jpg IMG_7247.JPG IMG_7257.jpg IMG_7258.jpg IMG_7255.jpg IMG_7259.jpg IMG_7260.jpg IMG_7261.jpg

27. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

Awesome trip! Thanks for sharing.

Deescott likes this.
  28. sololobo

sololobo

cool trip, love the hot rod man.

Deescott likes this.
  29. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

fun times & memories

Deescott likes this.
  30. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Very cool, really enjoying this thread. We hit Pontiac and Atlanta on our way home from Chicago not to long ago. I thought about doing it in something old the whole way :)