Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Air conditioning question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by deuceV8, May 3, 2017.

1. deuceV8

deuceV8

im looking to put a air conditioner in my 55 Chevy pickup and wanted to get opinions on what is the best company that makes the best a/c set ups for vintage vehicles.

2. Sheep Dip

Sheep Dip
    from Central Ca

As far as the best you'll get a lot of names and possibly a fist fight.
    Just make sure whatever brand you choose that the main components, compressor, expansion valve etc. are name brand easily off the shelf replaceable. Even the drier if so equipped so as not to re-plumb it when you change it.

redlineracer42 and 57 HEAP like this.
  3. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I will throw the first punch.

I have been using the same company for several years. I have not only had nothing but positive results, that vendor has bent over backwards to accommodate me, even taking care of things that were admittedly my fault.

All of my customers with their systems are happy.

They are Vintage Air.

i.rant, seb fontana and Hnstray like this.
  4. roundvalley

roundvalley

Two cars with Vintage Air. Never a problem.

i.rant and Hnstray like this.

5. Gman0046

Gman0046

Vinage Air. Don't even think of Southern Air.

41woodie likes this.
  6. RMONTY

RMONTY

Vintage even has some mock up under dash units that are just the housings you can use to get everything in the right place during your build if needed, from what I understand. I'm working with a Vintage dealer and he has the mock ups and told me to come get it when I was ready to mock everything up. He'd let me borrow for a few weeks he said.

7. squirrel

squirrel

I"ve heard good things about Vintage Air. But when it came time to put some AC in my 57 Suburban, I found an old 60s underdash unit, and used it....something about the modern plastic just doesn't look right. I couldn't bring myself to do it.

Good luck with your decision.

8. Frank Carey

Frank Carey

I put a Vintage Air unit in my '37 Ford back in the 1980s. Made the transition from R12 to R134a easily and it's still keeping me cool after 70,000 miles.

9. AngleDrive

AngleDrive
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

#1 Vintage Air #2 Classic Auto Air #3 Old Air Products

10. belair

belair

Got a Vintage Air in my 58 Apache, (TIGHT FIT) and 55 210. Like my old daddy says, " It cost no more to go first class." Vintage Air. You'll thank yourself.

11. brady1929

brady1929

12. custom_lettering

custom_lettering
    from Wall, NJ

Vintage Air in my 55 pickup. Works great

13. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

I have what I believe is a Southern Rods system. It works, so no complaints there, but I can't say that I'd recommend them. If I were buying, I'd go look at Vintage Air.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

14. 26hotrod

26hotrod
    from landis n c

Evert one I know that has Vintage Air likes it...........

15. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

16. miker98038

miker98038
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've got a Classic Auto Air in one car, and a Vintage Air in the other. I prefer the Vintage Air. Also, if your truck has the factory heater with a fresh air intake, I'd just do an under dash a/c unit. Like Jim points out, they look more correct. And they are making some period correct looking ones for those of us who can't engineer a system from components.

17. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have a mock-up unit. It has made a lot of work much easier.

18. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Vintage Air..10 yr run..no issues..

19. AB6DO

AB6DO

Two Vintage air units, one in my 1948 Tudor and one in my 1957 Nomad. Both work great up to about 80 degrees outside temperature. Past 80 degrees windows down and curse the a.c.

20. Something isn't right here, let's troubleshoot this. Or call the tech line at Vintage Air for help. What is the temp coming out of the vents when its below and then above above 80 degrees? Check the system pressures when its cooling fine and then when its not. Is the compressor kicking off when gets hot? If it's not cooling when its above 80 I would suspect the condenser doesn't have enough air moving through it causing the pressure to exceed the high pressure limit switch. There is a wealth of knowledge on their site here: http://www.vintageair.com/downloads.asp

39cdan and gimpyshotrods like this.
  21. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Have installed 3-4 units in trifives and at least 10 in early fords--all Vintage air! All worked fine

Gman0046 likes this.
  22. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If I can figure out how to nudge the grille forward in my Falcon a bit, it's getting a Vintage Air unit, too.

23. Corvette Fever

Corvette Fever
    from Michigan

Vintage air in both my 57 Vette and 53 Chrysler T&C very good system, they probably make a unit specific to your 55 that allows you to use the stock Chevy heater controls to control the unit. I installed one in a customers GTO worked great and looked great without an out of place control hanging off the dash..

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

olscrounger likes this.
  24. deuceV8

deuceV8

Thanks for all the replies looks like I'm going with vintage air

25. NewGuyOldFord

NewGuyOldFord

Gimpyshotrods, make sure you post a how to when you get around to the falcon :). Thanks...BART

26. flathead4d

flathead4d

I saw an ad that uses vintage air components but the compressor unit runs on 12 volts and is not driven by an engine pulley. It's a separate unit. Anyone have any experience with this. I would think that since the compressor is not driven off of the engine it would not reduce horse power and might help with overheating issues.

27. My neighbor just bout an old dump truck and I managed to find him a Montgomery wards under dash unit. They are around or someone is repoping them new.

Nothing wrong with Vintage Air, I have installed them and hey are good units, but the under dash is the way to go in an old pickup.

Just to stir the pot a bit.

mean-devil-smiley-emoticon.gif

28. Gman0046

Gman0046

VA makes a hang on evaporator like the old time units that sells for $299. I'd rather install a unit that tucks up under the dash and is less obtrusive.

Gary

29. flathead4d

flathead4d

Check out this company. Uses vintage air but the compressor is run off of 12 volts
    Here is their web site.
    https://www.seanhylandmotorsport.co...r-how-can-you-decide-if-one-is-right-for-you/

Jalopy Joker likes this.
  30. aaggie

aaggie

Vintage Air in my '40 Chevy. All of the mix doors are opened by servo motors so there is no vacuum needed. It allows infinite temp control and the units work if you are running big camshafts. Lastly, they are a Texas company and know how to treat their customers.